Volunteer Support Organiser job description
Job Title: Volunteer Support Organiser
Reporting to: Chief Exec
Salary: £25,000 - £29,000 Depending on experience
Benefits: 25 days annual leave, Employer pension contributions of 6%
Location: Central London but could be based elsewhere.
The objective is to support and promote the work of Wikimedia UK which includes Wikipedia and other open content.
To do this, the Volunteer Support Organiser will need to:
- Support the CEO by managing the engagement and development of volunteers in the programme of activities and work of Wikimedia UK.
- Be part of the office team delivering the Wikimedia UK plan.
- Build a relationship of trust with the Board and the broader Wikimedia community.
- Be accountable for the budgeting and resources for volunteer support and programme of events.
- Plan, monitor and sustain the growth and participation of the Wikimedia Volunteer community.
- Work with the CEO to develop a range of activities appropriate to the needs of Wikimedia UK and its volunteers.
- Report to the CEO and office manager ensuring that expenditure is controlled in line with relevant budgets.
- Prepare regular, publicly available, reports to the CEO and board on the volunteer programme of the charity, including assessments of success and ensure these are openly available.
- Be responsible for all aspects of working with volunteers to make them professionally run and productive.
- Handle all documentation regarding the events and support the administrator in accounting for them financially.
- Encourage and promote the involvement of volunteers and ensure that volunteers are provided with opportunities to support and participate in the organisation.
- Work with the Events Organiser to ensure that all events are managed safely with proper risk assessments undertaken.
- Liaise with The Wikimedia Foundation and other chapters to develop good practice and where appropriate share the planning and delivery of events.
- Prepare, run and evaluate the events detailed in the Wikimedia UK plan.
- Work with volunteers to ensure the greatest possible involvement of the Wikimedia UK community in its activities.
- Monitor the delivery and financial security of Wikimedia UK’s programmes that support volunteering.
- With the Events Organiser ensure Health and Safety and Insurance matters are in order for all staff, volunteers and visitors at events.
- Support and propose the development of new projects.
- An understanding of the WMUK volunteer community.
- Experience of supporting volunteers and volunteer-run projects.
- Proven experience of project management involving the public and partner organisations.
- Experience of organising a wide range of activities and events.
- An understanding of delivering training at a variety of levels.
- An understanding of the charity and not-for-profit sector (desirable).
- Experience of working effectively with a team of volunteers.
- Track record in budgeting and of achieving financial balance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Passionate about the aims and values of Wikimedia UK.
- The energy to support the CEO in growing and supporting the volunteer community.
- Good people management skills, with the ability to involve and inspire volunteers working remotely over geographically dispersed locations.
- Excellent software skills, including word-processing, spreadsheets, Internet procedures, and database applications.
- Excellent project management abilities.
- Flexible approach, with the capability to be a team player and identify and manage opportunities and risk.
- Logical, clear thinking, diplomatic and patient approach.
- Understanding of working with and managing volunteers; the ability to learn quickly and integrate within the Wikimedia community.
- Ability to work flexible hours and locations as required.
- Undertake training as required.
- An understanding of Internet technologies, in particular wikis.
- An understanding of the culture and policies of Wikimedia communities.
- Knowledge of other languages (desirable).