Library Camp Glasgow 2013
This event took place 0930-1600, 26th October, 2013. Mitchell Library Glasgow. Wikimedia UK volunteers were present to pitch an idea during the camp.
One of the main organisers of the event was Anabel Marsh @AnabelMarsh.
Bookings (free) were captured here.
What is a 'Library Camp'?
- A user-generated unconference
- Open to anyone interested in libraries
This was the first Library Camp to take place in Scotland.
What is the 'pitch'?
- How can any of the Wikimedia projects help groups working in and using libraries? How can Wikimedia help libraries better engage with their communities?
- Wikimedia in Scotland are particularly keen to work with groups (research, local history, and/or reading groups) that are currently under-represented, and where the projects can be used as a means to help overcome the digital divide. Wikimedians can provide free training and support to library staff and to user-group members in order to help people make their contribution to some of the world's most popular websites.
The aim was to let library professionals in Scotland know that the Wiki projects could be used to co-ordinate events in their local area.
These are a list of websites that I used to prepare for the event.
After the event I will blog about my preparations in more detail, give an explanation of what happened at the event and which of the resources I used. I'll also set out what I think was successful and try to provide some feedback from the participants.
My overdue blog post for this event can now be found at postmode.
The Twitter hashtag for the event is #libcampgla
The ScotWiki hashtag is #scotwiki
- The storify from the event is here
A sense of the impact that the Wikimedia session had on participants can be gauged from the Library Camp Glasgow 2013 Storify page composed of tweets throughout the day, as well as from blog posts about the event like Claire Donlan's. A training session was also arranged for staff at the Glasgow School of Art Library for 2 December, to be run by Graeme Arnott and Ally Crockford.
An event to be held at the Mitchell Library was also proposed and contact made with Librarians at Glasgow Life.
We had a dozen people at our session (not including us).
Gender: 1 male / 11 female.
And from Graeme's blog:
- possible editathon at The Glasgow School of Art. I met with some of their librarians a week or so after the librarycamp, and we have a training session planned for early December.
- possible webinar for CILIPS MmITS in February 2014
- connections with staff from The Mitchell Library who were interested in staff training
- discussions with Gordon Hunt from The University of the West of Scotland about the possibility of a Wikinews project with their media studies students.