Spatial Ecology & Epidemiology Group Wikipedia training
- Date: Tuesday 30 April 2013, 10am-4pm
- Place: Spatial Ecology & Epidemiology Group, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS
- Twitter details: @wikimediauk
- Participants: 10 trainees, usernames can be seen here
The aim of the session was to help the participants take first steps in editing Wikipedia, and then focusing on ecology and epidemiology related pages.
The Spatial Ecology & Epidemiology Group (SEEG) is a research group in the Zoology Department at the University of Oxford. For this event the group was particularly interested in the Malaria Atlas Project, an open-access resource for mapping malaria risk.
The course was run by experienced Wikipedians who provided all the necessary instruction to get the participants going.
The following trainers attended the event.
- An IT suite and a meeting room.
- Lunch provided
The day's running order was flexible: non-prescriptive and interactive, and there was ample opportunity for anyone to pursue points of interest. In outline:
- Upgrading articles, drafting, messaging (Charles)
- Hands-on session
- More time spent on editing
- Images (Martin)
- Q&A (Edward and Charles)
- Wrap with demo of VLE (Charles)
Here - also, Charles provided the office with additional metrics.