User:Jason.nlw/28 Month Report
WiR at the National Library of Wales. 28 Month Report
Projects delivered[edit | edit source]
Strategic Goal 1[edit | edit source]
Increase the quality and quantity of coverage of subjects that are currently underrepresented on Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia projects
Outcomes[edit | edit source]
- Sain Records – 7500 soundclips and 550 album covers scraped, processed and ready for upload to Commons
- CADW - 30,000 Wikidata items created for Welsh listed buildings
- Election Edit-a-thon planned in conjunction with the Welsh Political Archive
- Agreed to deliver training at a Notable Women Edit-a-thon at Swansea University in Sep/Oct
- Supported WiciNatur Editing workshops (6 May)
Accounts created[edit | edit source]
No new accounts created
Image statistics[edit | edit source]
- No NLW content added this month.
Strategic Goal 2[edit | edit source]
Support the development of open knowledge in the UK, by increasing the understanding and recognition of the value of open knowledge and advocating for change at an organisational, sectoral and public policy level
Outcomes[edit | edit source]
- The Business Case for increased Open Access is COMPLETE and is being reviewed by a interdepartmental task force following a formal presentation to the senior management team. The document will them be made available more widely on an open licence.
- A case study into working with Wikimedia UK has been completed and will feature in an upcoming book on open access. More info here
- Working to co-author a chapter of Volunteer engagement with Wikipedia in Libraries, with Alex Stinson for a book being prepared by OCLC.
- 27th of April – Meeting with Dafydd Tudur, Robin Owain, Gareth Morlais, Aaron Morris, Menter Môn and the National Eisteddfod to plan activities around the Eisteddfod this summer.
- 6thth of May – 15 minute talk for 40 people at WiciNatur event about NLW working with Wikimedia UK.
- 11th of May – Delivered a 20 minute presentation to 100 people at the CILIP Wales annual conference.
- Proposal for a talk at Wikimainia submitted here
- Invited by the Zeus Institute in Berlin to give a talk on Wikidata in the GLAM sector.
- 17th of May – Wikimedia/NLW trade stand at International Association of Language Commissioners conference in Cardiff Bay.
Staff Workshops and Events[edit | edit source]
Nothing to report
Volunteer projects[edit | edit source]
71 hours logged (excludes visiting scholars)
- 4 Volunteers are now working on the Dictionary of Welsh Biography project, creating stub articles using entries from DWB as a source. 240 articles have been created to date.
More information about projects held with the NLW volunteer team can be found here
Media/Blogs[edit | edit source]
- Nothing to report
Strategic Goal 3[edit | edit source]
To support the use of the Wikimedia projects as important tools for education and learning in the UK
Outcomes[edit | edit source]
- The Wikidata Visiting Scholar is nearing completion of an academic article examining the Welsh Landscapes data set using Wikidata queries and visualisations.
- The Wikidata Visiting Scholar is beginning work on a new project to add all known historical Welsh publishers to Wikidata and connect them with existing Wikidata items. You can see more here
- Using Wikipedia to translate content as part of individual assignments is being trialed on the Welsh translation course at Aberystwyth University
- Discussions took place with Mark Smith, Editorial Team Leader at WJEC about sharing text book content openly to ensure that relevant Wikipedia Articles can be brought up to a high standard. The request has been passed to senior management for consideration.
Upcoming events[edit | edit source]
- 7 June - Menter Caerdydd/Eisteddfod meeting in Cardiff
- 8-9 June - Wikidata Workshop, Berlin
- 12 June - Wiki training for Menter Caerdydd, Aberystwyth
- 21 June - Election Edit-a-thon
- 28-30 June – Lodlam Linked Open Data Summit, Venice.
- 4-5 July – Train the Trainer, Edinburgh.
- 6 July – Celtic Languages Wiki Conference, Edinburgh.
- 7 July – WiR meetup, Edinburgh.
- 12-14 July – ARLIS conference, Dublin.
Digital collections for release[edit | edit source]
The objective is to identify and release digital archives to Wiki-commons, primarily for use in Wikipedia articles.
Collections identified for future upload:
- Framed Works – abt 600 images (needs to be ingested first – Progress is being made). All pre 1880 content shared by the NLW with the Public Catalogue Foundation for the BBC ‘Your Paintings’ project.
- Welsh Portraits - 5,000 images. This is the largest single Welsh portrait collection including examples of framed works, etchings and photographs. The collection includes portraits from the middle ages to modern times. (Preparing this collection for upload has now become a priority for the NLW, and it is hoped we can upload before the end of the year – UPDATE : The collection is now ready to upload. However I am waiting for the Business case to be submitted in order to clarify what resolution images should be uploaded.)
Projects in development[edit | edit source]
- Dictionary of Welsh Biography - A request for funding is being considered by the library to contract a third party developer to create a bespoke interface/timeline to visualize and explore the Dictionary of Welsh Biography. The interface would be powered by Wikidata and images from Wiki Commons and would link to Dictionary of Welsh Biography and Wikipedia content. This would cement the libraries commitment to contributing to Wikimedia projects and making use of Wikimedia services and content to develop its own innovative online infrastructure.
- Discussions with Staff in the Welsh Governments Welsh Language department lead to interesting discussions about the possibility of providing Wikipedia training for Secondary School teachers via teacher training consortiums.
- An idea for running a project, similar to Wicipop, but for health related articles has been submitted to the Welsh government for consideration.
Historic statistics[edit | edit source]
- BaGLAMa (page views for Wikipedia articles containing images from National Library of Wales)
- February- Page Views - 51,330
- March- Page Views - 70,996
- April- Page Views - 186,973
- May- Page Views - 178,917
- Jun- Page Views - 697,704
- Jul- Page Views - 2,306,570
- Aug- Page Views - 2,437,248
- Sept- Page Views - 4,075,081
- October- Page Views - 4,698,284
- November- Page Views - 6,588,820
- December- Page Views - 11,644,987
- January- Page Views - 11,687,926
- February- Page Views - 12,632,817
- March - Page Views - 13,812,774
- April - Page Views - 13,912,372
- May - Page Views - 14,561,695
- June - Page Views - 14,641,717
- July - Page Views - 13,337,491
- Aug – Page Views 12,581,735
- Sept – Page Views - 13,348,683
- Oct – Page Views - 14,163,202
- Nov – Page Views - 15,668,738
- Dec – Page Views - 16,003,695
- Jan – Page Views - 15,751,167
- Feb – Page Views - 14,444,212
- Mar – Page Views - 16,227,446
- Apr – Page Views - 16,739,458
- GLAMorous (Percentage of Commons files used on Wikimedia projects)
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (March 19th) - 7.29%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (April 20th) - 10.2%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (May 19th) - 11.7%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (June 22nd) - 11.61%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (July 17th) - 11.21%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (August 19th) - 6.34%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (September 17th) - 7.62%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (October 20th) - 11.43%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (November 18th) - 12.58%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (December 17th) - 17.29%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (January 18th) - 12.89%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (February 24th ) - 13.59%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (March 18th ) - 14.21%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (April 25th ) - 28.38%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (May 18th ) - 37.37%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (June 17th ) - 42.01%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (July 21st ) - 50.02%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (August 17th ) - 50.13%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (September 19th ) - 50.69%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (November 24th ) - 50.62%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (December 13th ) - 50.46%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (January 23rd ) - 50.59%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (February 20th ) - 50.62%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (March 20th ) - 50.66%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (April 19th ) - 50.69%
- Percentage of images used in a Wiki (May 22nd ) - 50.70%