Volunteer Strategy Gathering/July 2015
The second Volunteer Strategy Gathering took take place on 25th July 2015 at Top Office Machines, 133 Bethnal Green Road, E2 7DG. The space was kindly donated by WMUK member User:EdSaperia.
The purpose of the day is to get a better understanding of how Wikimedia UK works with its members and the volunteer community to further the work of the Wikimedia movement.
There will be a short presentation about our new project planning process, designed to ensure we have ambitious and sustainable projects. This will be followed by sessions discussing our proposed structures and mechanisms for interacting with volunteers and engaging them in our work.
Please bring your ideas for projects and your ideas for how we should work with the community. We hope to have a productive day and finish with some actions for both Wikimedia UK and the community.
We plan to start at around 10:30 and to finish by 14:30. This will be followed by the AGM. Lunch will be provided. The schedule is as follows:
- Coffee, registration (from 10am)
- 10:40 Welcome and introduction to the day - Call to action (Carol)
- 10:45 Housekeeping and rough agenda (Simon)
- 10:50 Thoughts from our CEO-elect, Lucy Crompton-Reid
- 11:00 Project based working: Concept of a project (Michael), Introduction to the project team (Daria)
- 11:15 Working With The Community - discussion in groups. Background introduced by Simon, discussion introduced by John Cummings. Feedback at 12:15
- 12:30 Lunch
- 1:15 Project based approach - practice - discussion in groups. Introduced by John Cummings. Feedback at 2:00.
- 2:15 Summary - actions, next steps (Stuart), close and thank you (Carol). End at 2:30.
- We develop a shared understanding of these proposals, including the new volunteer structures and working processes
- We gain insights from volunteers and staff as to how both could work most effectively together to achieve our common goals
- The next steps and the timeline for achieving those are clear
- We provide an opportunity for the CEO-elect to meet our community and to start working together.
We want to have a critical and constructive discussion, and we want all present to be able to contribute. So attendees would be asked to:
- Respect other's skills, knowledge and experience.
- Listen carefully to all comments
- Be open to ideas and make criticism constructive.
- Focus on material issues and on the resolution of those issues.
- Make the most of our limited time.
- Respect Confidentiality and "Chatham House Rules"
And try not to:
- Be defensive
- Lose sight of the strategic picture
- Act in an attacking or dismissive manner
The 2015 AGM will immediately follow the close of the Volunteer Strategy Gathering. All are welcome.
After the AGM, EdSaperia has very kindly offered to host a barbecue in the venue. Again, all are welcome to attend.