Wikidata workshop 2014
Wikidata is a free knowledge base that can be read and edited by humans and machines alike. It is for data what Wikimedia Commons is for media files: it centralizes access to and management of structured data, such as interwiki references and statistical information. Wikidata contains data in every language supported by the MediaWiki software. It is a free collaboratively edited knowledge base project operated by the Wikimedia Foundation.
Basic information[edit | edit source]
- Date: Saturday 26 April 2014, time 10:30am-4:30pm
- Venue: Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT
- Participants: Anyone is welcome, Wikimedia projects editing experience preferable
- Contacts: Any questions? Please contact Katie Chan on katie.chanwikimedia.org.uk 020 7065 0990
Event information[edit | edit source]
The aim of the day is for interested Wikimedians to learn about new developments in Wikidata, find out more about the "tools ecosystem", for new editors to find out what Wikidata is, and for everyone to try their hand at contributing to Wikidata.
The event will be led by Magnus Manske and Joe Filceolaire. Magnus was the original author of the PHP script that evolved into MediaWiki, and is behind many popular scripts and tools used across Wikimedia projects, including Reasonator. Joe has been an active Wikidata contributor since the project launch, with over 13,000 edits to-date.
Registration[edit | edit source]
Logistics[edit | edit source]
- Please bring your own laptops if possible. A limited number of laptops will be available to borrow on the day.
- Refreshments will be offered.