By George Colbourn, Fundraising Development Coordinator at Wikimedia UK
This year, Wikimedia UK is taking part in ‘Small Charity Week’, an annual event to celebrate the contributions made by the small charity sector to individuals, communities and causes across the country. From the 14th-19th of June 2021, we will be joining other charities with a revenue of less than £1 million to highlight the importance of our work and the impact it has on our beneficiaries.
The small charity sector comprises thousands of organisations across the country that, despite restricted funding, provide crucial support, services, campaigns and events. Through the extensive efforts of our volunteers and partner organisations, as well as the vital support of our donors, Wikimedia UK is able to work on projects that increase knowledge equity around the world, develop digital literacy and contribute to the development and improvement of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. Small Charity Week provides us with a great opportunity to showcase this work and the efforts of the wider Wikimedia community.
Throughout the week, we will be taking part in a number of activities to highlight our achievements and impact, with each day having a specific focus of our work.
- Monday 14th June: ‘I love small charities day’. A chance for our staff, volunteers, members and supporters to express their admiration for the small charity sector.
- Tuesday 15th June: ‘Big advice day’. We will be hosting an online Q&A session focusing on our work, the open-knowledge movement and the small charity sector as a whole.
- Wednesday 16th June: ‘Policy day’. Here we will be focusing on recent work that Wikimedia UK has undertaken to advocate changes in policy on a regional and national level, helping to promote the importance of open access to knowledge and its benefits to society.
- Thursday 17th June: ‘Fundraising day’. An opportunity for us to engage with both new and longstanding supporters, informing them on how to get involved with our work and start fundraising.
- Friday 18th June: ‘Small charity big impact day’. We will be looking back at some of our recent achievements that have had a profound impact on the open knowledge movement.
- Saturday 19th June: ‘Appreciation day’. The work we do is only possible through the commitment of our supporters, volunteers and members. Appreciation day will give us an opportunity to express our gratitude and thanks to all of those people who make up the national Wikimedia movement.
There are numerous ways to get involved in Small Charities Week, whether you’re a volunteer, member or new to Wikimedia UK. Follow our facebook, twitter and instagram channels to keep updated about our activities over the course of the week and how you can be a part of it. A full schedule of Small Charity Week can be found here.
Please also use these hashtags to keep up to date with our campaign involvement: #SmallButVital, #SmallCharityWeek, @WikimediaUK