Who we are
We are the UK charity for the global Wikimedia movement. Our vision is of a more tolerant, informed and democratic society through open knowledge.
At Wikimedia UK we are passionate and committed to open knowledge and free access, not just in the UK but on a global scale. Our staff, trustees, community leaders, contributors and volunteers are all committed to the vision of a world where everyone shares in the sum of all knowledge.
Our principles reflect a key set of values
- We are transparent in how we work
- We promote the provision of high quality open knowledge for all
- We promote the use of free licences, formats and sources that support open knowledge
- We encourage, involve and recognise the contribution of our volunteer community
- We support, encourage and promote diversity within our community
- We are an independent UK charity that engages actively with the global movement
- We learn from and openly share our learning with the global Wikimedia movement
Not all wikis are Wikimedia
The word “wiki” refers to a website built using collaborative editing software. Projects with no past or existing affiliation with Wikipedia or the Wikimedia Foundation, such as Wikileaks and wikiHow, also use the term. Although these sites use “wiki” in their name, they have nothing to do with Wikimedia.
Meet our staff team.
Meet our Board members.
Read about what drives our delivery themes.
Read about our impact, governance and finance.
Connect, learn and share with the Wikimedia UK community on the Wiki
Trust and safety
Wikimedia UK believes that all interactions with the Wikimedia projects should be free of harassment, abuse, discrimination and other forms of unwelcome behaviour.