Who we are
We are the UK charity for the global Wikimedia movement. Our vision is of a more informed, democratic and equitable society through open knowledge.
At Wikimedia UK we are passionate and committed to open knowledge and free access, not just in the UK but on a global scale. Our staff, trustees, community leaders, contributors and volunteers are all committed to the vision of a world where everyone shares in the sum of all knowledge.
We strive to act with integrity in upholding and inspiring the following values
We are working towards the following long term outcomes
- Wikimedia reflects our diverse society and works to overcome systemic bias
- Our work has increased free, ethical access to knowledge and information
- Our work has supported the development of high levels of information literacy
- Wikimedia users are able to understand the climate crisis and their role within it
- Wikimedia UK is recognised as a leading organisation for open knowledge
Not all wikis are Wikimedia
The word “wiki” refers to a website built using collaborative editing software. Projects with no past or existing affiliation with Wikipedia or the Wikimedia Foundation, such as Wikileaks and wikiHow, also use the term. Although these sites use “wiki” in their name, they have nothing to do with Wikimedia.
Meet our staff team.
Meet our Board members.
Read about what drives our delivery themes.
Read about our impact, governance and finance.
Connect, learn and share with the Wikimedia UK community on the Wiki
Trust and safety
Wikimedia UK believes that all interactions with the Wikimedia projects should be free of harassment, abuse, discrimination and other forms of unwelcome behaviour.