We are designing our next Train the Trainer (TtT) course, and looking forward to hearing from interested volunteers.
TtT trains volunteers who are keen to deliver Wikipedia editing events. Volunteer trainers play a key role in the delivery of Wikimedia UK programmes. They extend our work to underrepresented communities and help them be part of Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. They train new and existing editors across the country. Demand for training often outstrips staff capacity to fulfil, and we’re conscious that our existing networks do not always allow us to reach all the communities with whom we’d like to work.
This training will equip candidate trainers with the skills, experience and resources to deliver a standard ‘Introduction to Wikipedia’ editathon. We will look to discuss both online and in-person events during the training.
We will have another session on ‘Developing Community Partnerships’ focusing on establishing partnerships with new communities. This session is open to applications from accredited trainers as well. It will also be an opportunity for candidate and accredited trainers to get to know each other.
Expressions of interest are welcomed from all. However, given the current demographic mix of our training network, we are particularly interested in hearing from Black, Asian and minority groups; women; and members of LGBT+ community.
The in-person training will take place in London. We will cover travel and accommodation costs, and will provide lunch and refreshments.
Course content and key dates
- 1.12.2022 Thursday/18:00-20:30/online: Brief – mockup editathon
- 3.12.2022 Saturday/10:00-16:00/in-person: Debrief – mockup editathon & Theory of online and in-person training
- 4.12.2022 Sunday/10:00-16:00/in-person: Developing Community Partnerships
What you could expect from us
- Full training and support to deliver a standard ‘Introduction to Wikipedia’ editathon and similar events
- Access to event materials
- Ongoing support
- Volunteer expenses where appropriate
- Job references upon request
What we would expect from you
- Familiarity with, or desire to increase your knowledge of the Wikimedia Projects, particularly Wikipedia. Pre-course support can be provided if you feel that you would benefit from this in order to fully participate in the training
- Full attendance at the training course
- To lead training for a minimum of 2 events per year. This would be a mixture of third party events which we would field to you, and those you would organise yourself. Please note that we do receive requests for training to be delivered within office hours
- To be responsive to communication from Wikimedia UK staff and fellow volunteers
- To complete basic reporting, including returning sign up information
- To represent Wikimedia UK well during the time in which you are volunteering
- To adhere to our Safe Spaces policy, and the Code of Conduct
How to apply
Places are limited to make sure that each participant gets individual attention and feedback, so please apply via the following forms to express your interest. Call for interest will close on the 28th of October. You will hear from us by the 4th of November to confirm your place.
Candidate trainers application form
Accredited trainers application form
The Wikimedia UK Volunteer Trainer Role description.