Would you like to share your passion for Wiki editing by running Wikipedia editing events to train new editors and communities? If so, our next Train the Trainer (TtT) course is taking place November to December 2023 and will equip you with the skills and resources needed to deliver editing events. We would love to hear from you if you would like to take part.
TtT trains volunteers who are keen to deliver Wikipedia editing events. Volunteer trainers play a key role in the delivery of Wikimedia UK programmes. They extend our work to underrepresented communities and support them to be part of Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. They train new and existing editors across the country, in-person, online or in hybrid sessions. Demand for training often outstrips staff capacity to fulfil, and we’re conscious that our existing networks do not always allow us to reach all the communities with whom we’d like to work.
This training will equip candidate trainers with the skills, experience and resources to deliver a standard ‘Introduction to Wikipedia’ edit-a-thon.In advance of the hybrid sessions in December, participants will complete a four week WikiLearn course, starting 9th November, with a commitment of approx 1-2 hours per week. We will be training volunteers on delivering online and in-person editing events and this year we will also be delivering training specifically on how to deliver hybrid events.
The session ‘Running Hybrid Events’ will be focused on equipping you with skills needed to run an event with participants online and in-person. This session is also open to applications from accredited trainers as well. It will also be an opportunity for new and accredited trainers to get to know each other.
Expressions of interest are welcomed from all. However, given the current demographic mix of our training network, we are particularly interested in hearing from Black, Asian and minority groups; women; and members of LGBT+ community. For this iteration of TtT we’ll be prioritising applications from areas of the UK in which we have gaps.
The in-person training will take place in London. So please do indicate if you would like to participate in-person or online. We have a budget to cover travel and accommodation costs, and will provide lunch and refreshments.
Course content and key dates
- 9th November onwards – Four week WikiLearn self led course
- Thursday 7th November 2023 /18:00-20:30/online: Introductory Session
- Saturday 9th December 2023 /10:00-16:00/in-person and online: Train the Trainer Day 1 – new trainers
- Sunday 10th December 2023 /10:00-16:00/in-person: Running Hybrid Events – open to new and existing WMUK trainers. This session will be run by Bhav Patel.
What you could expect from us
- Full training and support to deliver a standard ‘Introduction to Wikipedia’ edit-a-thon and similar events
- Access to event materials
- Ongoing support
- Volunteer expenses where appropriate
- Job references upon request
What we would expect from you
- Familiarity with, or desire to increase your knowledge of the Wikimedia Projects, particularly Wikipedia.
- Full attendance at the training course
- To complete the online self led course (1-2 hours per week)
- To lead training for a minimum of 2 events per year. This would be a mixture of third party events which we would field to you, and those you would organise yourself. Please note that we do receive requests for training to be delivered within office hours
- To be responsive to communication from Wikimedia UK staff and fellow volunteers and Event Organisers, including in advance of the event.
- To complete basic reporting, including returning sign up information
- To represent Wikimedia UK well during the time in which you are volunteering
- To adhere to our Safe Spaces policy, and the Code of Conduct
How to apply
Places are limited to make sure that each participant gets individual attention and feedback, so please apply via the following forms to express your interest. Call for interest will close on the 26th of October. You will hear from us by the 2nd of November to confirm your place.
Candidate Trainers Application Form (for new trainers)
Accredited Trainers Application Form (for existing trainers)
The Wikimedia UK Volunteer Trainer Role description.