Head of Development and Communications
Job Title: Head of Development and Communications
Reporting to: Chief Executive
Line management: Communications Coordinator, Fundraising and Relationship Lead
Salary: £52,000 per annum
Benefits: 25 days annual leave + bank holidays, 6% Employer pension contribution
Location: Primarily home based, with regular travel to London
Wikimedia UK is the national charity for open knowledge, bringing together practical and
policy expertise about Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia UK works in
partnership with major national and international institutions from the cultural and education sectors and other organisations to make knowledge freely available, usable and reusable online. The content shared through our programmes receives billions of views every year. We have also reached thousands of school and university students in the UK through our media and information literacy programme, and have an emerging programmatic strand focused on Climate. You can read our latest Strategic Report here and our 2022 - 2025 strategic framework is online here.
About the role
We are looking for someone with creative flair, experience of managing and developing staff or volunteers, and a strong track record in either fundraising or communications, to join Wikimedia UK’s senior management team (SMT). You will have key responsibility for managing and growing the development, fundraising and communications functions for the charity, whilst working closely with the Chief Executive and colleagues from the Programmes and Finance and Operations teams in the successful delivery of our strategy. You will play a leading role in Wikimedia UK’s activities to increase our profile and impact, through building better visibility for our work and a more diverse and sustainable income base. The successful candidate will be motivated by Wikimedia UK’s vision and mission and enjoy working within a small, supportive, friendly and committed team.
Wikimedia UK is an equal opportunities employer. We hold diversity and inclusion at the heart of our organisation and in this recruitment process. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, and we particularly welcome candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups. As a Disability Confident Employer, all candidates who meet the essential criteria for the role will be offered an interview. Please indicate in your statement or to the consultant that you would like to be considered under this scheme.
Wikimedia UK gave up its office in London in August 2023. Whilst we are planning to establish a small office space in central London in 2024, the expectation is that this role will be predominantly home based. All staff are expected to attend all staff meetings - of which we currently hold four to five a year, usually in London. As a member of the senior management team the Head of Development and Communications will also be expected to attend in person board meetings, of which there are usually two or three a year.
Fundraising Planning, Management and Delivery
- Play a key role in the development and delivery of the charity’s fundraising strategy, in close collaboration with the CEO, staff and other stakeholders.
- Lead on the creation of action plans for specific areas of fundraising, for example major donors or trusts and foundations, and work with staff to carry out these plans.
- Work closely with the Director of Programmes in developing fundraising plans and bids that respond to, and expand, programme delivery needs
- Support the work of the Fundraising & Relationship Lead in identifying funding sources to help build a pipeline of potential funders.
- Stay on top of major funding changes or trends, and support the SMT in building short term income projections and long term financial objectives for the charity that take these trends into account.
Communications Planning, Management and Delivery
- Play a key role in developing and implementing the charity’s communications strategies and plans - in close collaboration with the CEO, Communications Coordinator and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with the Programmes team and others to help surface and create engaging content to be used in communications.
- Take overall responsibility for managing the public profile of Wikimedia UK, including our online presence (social media, the Wikimedia UK website, our wiki site and our blog) and media coverage within print and broadcast media.
- Work with colleagues across the organisation, and with external partners where appropriate, to develop targeted communications campaigns around specific events, partnerships or policy issues.
- Maintain the organisation’s Crisis Communications Plan, ensuring that this is reviewed and updated on an annual basis.
- Work with the Chief Executive, other staff and external agencies to nurture Wikimedia UK’s brand and visual identity, and oversee the design and production of online information, printed materials and merchandise as needed.
- Take overall responsibility for ensuring the creation and distribution of regular, targeted communications for donors, members and volunteers..
Senior Management Responsibilities
- Line-manage staff within the Development and Communications team. This currently includes a Communications Coordinator and a Fundraising & Relationship Lead.
- Attend and contribute to Senior Management Team meetings, providing timely and informative updates on development, fundraising and communications activities and contributing to wider discussion about the organisation.
- Attend all board meetings as well as meetings of the Audit and Risk Committee, providing reports as directed by the Chief Executive and/or Chair of the Board.
- Work with the Chief Executive and Head of Finance and Operations to plan and manage expenditure budgets related to fundraising and communications, and to plan and monitor revenue projections and targets.
- Play a lead role in ensuring the successful integration of Access Charity CRM (or any other CRM system the organisation utilises in future) across the whole organisation; working with colleagues to ensure that we receive the maximum benefit of this investment, particularly in terms of donor management and stewardship.
- Any other reasonable duties as directed by the Chief Executive.
Essential Experience, Skills, Knowledge and Behaviours
- Demonstrable experience of fundraising and/or communications within a not for profit environment, with a strong track record in at least one of these areas
- Experience of managing staff or volunteers in fundraising and/or communications
- High level of planning, organisational and prioritisation skills, with experience of developing action plans for yourself and others
- Excellent written communication skills, with the ability to adapt tone to suit different audiences and a strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills, able to build positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders and leverage connections
- Effective software skills and the ability to learn and use new systems
- A broad understanding of how different communications channels, including social media, can be used to develop a charity’s profile and impact
- A commitment to the aims and values of Wikimedia UK
- An appreciation and understanding of issues relating to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Experience of working with a CRM system to maximise fundraising opportunities would be helpful but is not essential
- Experience of managing budgets would be helpful but is not essential
- Closing date for applications: 28th February 2024
- 1st interview: Tuesday, 12th March
- 2nd interview: Tuesday, 19th March
How to apply
To apply for this role, please include your CV and a cover letter (maximum of two pages) and send them to email@example.com.
For any queries, candidates should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunities: Wikimedia UK has a commitment to achieving equality of opportunity in both services to our members and clients and in the employment of people, and expects all employees and volunteers to understand and promote its policies in their work.
Fire, Health and Safety: Wikimedia UK is committed to a healthy and safe working environment and expects all its employees to consider and integrate health and safety in all work activities.
Sustainable Development: Wikimedia UK is committed to the principles of sustainable development and all employees are expected, in so far as possible, to maintain work practices in line with the principles of sustainable development.
Continuing Professional Development: Wikimedia UK is committed to the continuing professional development of all its staff and volunteers. Employees are expected to develop learning plans in conjunction with their line manager in order to undertake training or other career development opportunities that they feel would develop their work and the operation of the Charity.
Data Protection: Wikimedia UK holds sensitive data on its members, volunteers, donors and those using its services. All employees are required to maintain an awareness of data protection responsibilities and to execute all relevant duties with tact, discretion and due respect to the confidentiality of clients, members and staff.