Wikimedia UK is a charitable company incorporated in England and Wales that is authorised by The Wikimedia Foundation. Inc as the local Wikimedia chapter for the United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK was founded as a company in November 2008, was approved as a Wikimedia chapter in January 2009, and was granted charitable status by the Charity Commission in November 2011.
Wikimedia UK is a separate organization from the Wikimedia Foundation, and has no control over the contents of Wikipedia or any other projects run by the Foundation. The Charitable Objects of Wikimedia UK are, for the benefit of the public, to promote and support the widest possible public access to, use of and contribution to Open Content of an encyclopaedic or educational nature or of similar utility to the general public, in particular the Open Content supported and provided by the Wikimedia Foundation.
Wikimedia UK is incorporated in England & Wales as a Company Limited by Guarantee. Its Registered Charity number is 1144513.
The constitution of Wikimedia UK comprises:
(b) The company's Articles of Association
(c) Any Special Resolutions passed by the company since incorporation. Currently three Special Resolutions have been passed:
- (i) Requiring the permission of the members to amend the Election Rules
- (ii) Requiring the permission of the members to terminate or make certain amendments to the Chapter Agreement
- (iii) Establishing a new class of members for organisations
(d) Any Rules adopted under Article 28 either by the members or the directors, which currently comprise:
- (i) the Election Rules (adopted by the Board in January 2009)
- (ii) the Membership Rules (adopted by the 2009 AGM)
- (iii) the Conflicts of interest policy
- (iv) the Child Protection Policy
- (vi) the Finance Policy
- (vii) the Volunteer Policy
- (viii) the Staff Policies. These documents are subject to review in January 2015 by the Chief Executive and approved by the Board of Trustees. They will also be reviewed in response to changes in relevant legislation, contractual arrangements, good practice or in response to an identified failing in their effectiveness.
- (a) Bullying and Harassment Policy
- (b) Conflict of Interest Policy
- (c) Confidentiality Policy
- (d) Data Protection Policy
- (e) Disciplinary policy and procedure
- (f) Diversity and Equalities Policy
Finance (and Expenses) Policy 2012
- (h) Grievance Policy and Procedure
- (i) Home Working Policy
- (j) Maternity Leave and Pay
- (k) Sickness Management Policy
- (l) Staff Training and Development
- (m) Time off in Lieu Policy
- (n) Volunteer and Intern Agreement
- (o) Whistle blowing Policy
- (ix) the Copyright Policy
- (x) the Participation policy
- (xi) the Donation and grant acceptance policy
- (xii) the Representing Wikimedia UK policy
- (xiii) the IT Security Policy (and subpolicies)
- (xiv) the Recruitment Policy
- (xv) the Volunteer Conflict of Interest Policy
(e) The Chapter Agreement, signed by Wikimedia UK and the Wikimedia Foundation, which obliges each party to support the activities of the other and forbids either party from doing anything to negatively impact the work or image of the other.