|Content partnerships — Digital image restorations — Joint events|
Cultural partnerships are co-operations between the Wikimedia movement and cultural institutions, such as galleries, libraries, archives and museums, known collectively as GLAMs. There are a wide range of possible projects - from content donations to edit-a-thon events (where Wikipedians and experts work together to improve the projects' coverage of a certain topic), and more.
Why work with Wikimedia?
- Present your collections to new audiences
- Increase worldwide engagement with the cultural heritage held by your institution
- Work with a global community of volunteers to share your content online, on the Wikimedia projects
Who is working with us?
Current cultural institutions we are working with include:
- The British Library
- The British Museum
- Derby Museum and Art Gallery
- The National Maritime Museum
- The National Archives
- Herbert Art Gallery and Museum, Coventry
- Natural History Museum and Science Museum
- National Library of Scotland
Wikimedia UK's work with the GLAM sector complements its work with learned societies.
If you represent a cultural institution, and are interested in working with Wikimedia UK, please contact our office on +44 (0)20 7065 0990 or glamwikimedia.org.uk.
Wikimedians in Residence
A Wikimedian in Residence a Wikipedia editor who works in an institution to facilitate a close working relationship between the Wikimedia movement and that institution through a range of activities, including:
- Organising outreach work to encourage understanding and development of Wikimedia projects internally and externally
- Exploring sharing institution's digital resources on Wikimedia Commons
- Organising events to create or expand existing articles about notable items or subjects of specific relevance to the collection and the organisation's expertise
- Working with institution's staff to explain Wikipedia's and sister projects' practices and how they might be able to contribute. This can be done via events, workshops, producing case study and documentation content
- Helping other Wikimedians to expand and write articles about the institutions's collections or area of expertise
- Developing other projects supporting open knowledge in the UK.
Current Wikimedians in Residence
Please visit the project pages below to find out more about the residencies - including contact details.
- National Library of Scotland - c. a year part time. On our blog
- York Museums Trust - set as 6 months part time
- The Royal Society - set as 6 months part time
There are plans for further residencies; if you have any queries please contact the office on 0207 065 0990, or glamwikimedia.org.uk.
In February 2014 we are conducting a call for applications from interested institutions to run a Wikimedian in Residence projects with us, for more information please see here.
Past Wikimedians in Residence
- The year long British Library cooperation in 2012-13 has centred on the Wikimedian in Residence project. You can find out more about it here. Andrew's report can be seen here. We are continuing the cooperation with the British Library.
- Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums - 3 months part time. On our blog; on the project page.
- Natural History Museum and Science Museum - 8 months. On our blog.
- An example of the agreement signed by WMUK and GLAMs when arranging a Wikimedia in Residence post
- A suggested job description for a Wikipedian in Residence