Vision, values and mission
|WMUK Strategy 2014-2019
Our Vision sets out, at the highest possible level, our ultimate aspiration. In deciding how to work most effectively towards this aspiration, we apply our Values, which inform our Mission. The Mission is our overall aim which links directly to the practical impact that we can make as a charity and Wikimedia Chapter.
Definitions[edit | edit source]
In these documents, we adopt the widely used expression open knowledge as a synonym for open content. Briefly, we consider a piece of knowledge (or content) to be open when anyone is free to use, to reuse, and to redistribute it — subject to nothing more than optional requirements of attribution and share-alike.
Vision[edit | edit source]
Values[edit | edit source]
V1 Freedom[edit | edit source]
- We promote the values inherent in the concept of open knowledge.
- We promote the value of licences, formats and sources that are conformant with this concept.
V2 Accessibility and Quality[edit | edit source]
- We promote the provision of high quality open knowledge to all.
V3 Community[edit | edit source]
- We recognise that the contribution of volunteers is central to the activity of our organisation.
- We encourage, involve and engage members of our community, and value our community’s contributions.
- We are committed to learning from and openly sharing learning with the global Wikimedia movement.
V4 Transparency[edit | edit source]
- We are transparent in our operations, both to our communities and more generally to the public.
V5 Diversity[edit | edit source]
- We seek diversity in the types of open knowledge we work with.
- We support and encourage diversity within our community.
- We have respectful and professional working relationships internally and externally irrespective of individuals’ personal characteristics such as religion, political belief, sexual identity, nationality or disability.
V6 Independence[edit | edit source]
- We remain an independent UK charity while continuing to engage actively with the global Wikimedia movement.