Events Organiser job description
|This vacancy is now closed. The page is kept as an archival reference. If you want to discuss a topic, please start a discussion on the community forum.|
About Wikimedia UK
Wikimedia UK is a not-for-profit association set up to promote and support Wikipedia, its sister projects, and other open educational resources in the UK. "Open" refers to information which is available for copying, reuse and modification, including for commercial uses, without cost or restriction other than attribution. We are a volunteer-led organisation and we see volunteers continuing to play a central role in all our activities.
We were established in 2008 and are one of over thirty similar associations in countries around the world, recognised by the Wikimedia Foundation but operationally and legally independent. We work with individuals, museums, universities, businesses and media companies to make freely licensed content available and to help other people re-use open content. We seek to have a close relationship with other open content organizations in the UK, and with the global community of Wikimedia readers and editors.
Wikimedia UK has been recognised as a UK charity. Our annual income is over £750,000 and we have over 300 members. There are approximately 15,000,000 people in the UK who regularly use Wikimedia projects and 10,000 people who regularly contribute to them. With ambitious plans for growth and an active Board of Trustees, we are now entering an exciting new phase and have recently appointed our first Chief Executive.
We are now looking for an Events Organiser to be a key member of our small team. The role will involve organising a broad range of events from national conferences to smaller local volunteer training events. You will also be happy to answer the phones, support colleagues and work closely with the Wikipedian community.
Applications are welcomed. The closing date is 5pm on 10th January 2012.
Applications cannot be accepted after that date.
Interviews are planned for January 20th.
For an application form email jon.davieswikimedia.org.uk
Applications can be made in Open Office or Word but Open Office is preferred.
If you would like to ask about this position call Jon Davies on 0207 065 0990.
Job Title: Events Organiser
Reporting to: CEO
Salary: £25,000 - £29,000 depending on experience
Benefits: 28 days annual leave, Employer pension contribution.
Location: Central London
The objective is to support and promote the work of Wikimedia UK which includes Wikipedia and other open content.
To do this, the Events Organiser will need to:
- Support the CEO by developing and delivering a range of large and small activities throughout the UK
- Support and encourage the participation of volunteers in the activities of Wikimedia UK.
- Be part of the office team delivering the Wikimedia UK plan
- Build a relationship of trust with the board and the broader Wikimedia community
- Be accountable for the budgeting and resources for the events
- Work with the CEO to develop a range of activities appropriate to the needs of Wikimedia UK
- Report to the CEO and administrator ensuring that expenditure is controlled in line with the events budgets
- Prepare regular, publicly available, reports to the CEO and board on the events programme of the charity, including assessments of success and ensure these are openly available
- Be responsible for all aspects of the events working with volunteers to make them professionally run and productive.
- Handle all documentation regarding the events and support the administrator in accounting for them financially.
- Encourage and promote the involvement of volunteers and ensure that volunteers are provided with opportunities to support and participate in the organisation
- Ensure that all events are managed safely with proper risk assessments undertaken
- Liaise with the Wikimedia Foundation and other chapters to develop good practice and where appropriate share the planning and delivery of events.
- Prepare, run and evaluate the events detailed in the Wikimedia UK plan
- Work with volunteers to ensure the greatest possible involvement of the Wikimedia UK community in the events.
- Monitor the delivery and financial security of Wikimedia UK’s events programme.
- Ensure Health and Safety and Insurance matters are in order for all staff, volunteers and visitors at events
- Support and propose the development of new projects
- Proven experience of project management involving the public and partner organisations.
- Experience of organising a wide range of events
- An understanding of delivering training at a variety of levels
- An understanding of the charity and not-for-profit sector (desirable)
- Experience of working effectively with a team of volunteers
- Experience of working in a charitable or not-for-profit environment (desirable)
- Track record in budgeting and of achieving financial balance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Passionate about the aims and values of Wikimedia UK
- The energy to support the CEO in growing an organisation from its earliest stages; vision, innovation, strategic thinking
- Good people management skills, with the ability to involve and inspire volunteers working remotely over geographically dispersed locations
- Excellent software skills, including word-processing, spreadsheets, internet procedures, and database applications.
- Excellent project management abilities
- Flexible approach, with the capability to be a team player in a high-growth start-up environment, and identify and manage opportunities and risk
- Logical, clear thinking, diplomatic and patient approach
- Understanding of working with and managing volunteers; the ability to learn quickly and integrate within the Wikimedia community
- Ability to work flexible hours and locations as required
- Undertake training as required.
- An understanding of internet technologies, in particular wikis
- An understanding of the culture and policies of Wikimedia communities
- Knowledge of other languages (desirable)