Kingston University Women in Science event
Wikimedia UK and Kingston University organised a Women in Science themed editing event on Monday 28 October in London.
- Date: Monday 28 October 2013
- Venue: Faculty of Science, Engineering and Computing, Kingston University, Games Lab, Sopwith Building SB1026, Penrhyn Road Campus, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 2EE. 
- Cost: Free
- Twitter hashtag: #WISWIKI
- Resources to edit: see below
- Participants: The editing session is for Wikipedia newcomers to learn how to edit or anyone wanting to contribute. Bookings were taken via Kingston's Eventbrite
- Any questions: Katie Chan at katie.chanwikimedia.org.uk, 020 7065 0990, Dr Darrel Greenhill for Kingston
- 09:30 – Registration and refreshments
- 10:00 – Guidance on how to edit Wikipedia
- 11:00 – Message from Professor Edith Sim
- 11:15 – Editathon
- 13:00 - Light lunch
- 13:30-14:00 - Close and peer feedback
At the workshop, representatives from Wikimedia UK explained how Wikipedia works and answer questions about editing and improving Wikiepdia articles. Staff were on hand to introduce available resources and provide guidance on finding information.
The day began with a tutorial on how to edit Wikipedia, and the attendees were able to put this into practice afterwards, creating and editing articles.
Everyone was asked to register and think about topics to edit on.
There were computers at the venue, but also wifi access for those wanting to use your own laptops.
- w:User:Hope Caton
- w:User:XNF Nemesis
- The National Institute for Medical Research has created a guide of how to search for biographical information for this type of events here.
- Useful resources for editing articles about Fellow of the Royal Society are here.
- A general useful resource is the Archives of Women in Science and Engineering at Iowa State University
Suggested topics for the editathon
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Biographies
- Sections of the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- The Biographical Dictionary of Women in Science: Pioneering Lives from Ancient Times to the Mid-20th Century
- Katie Chan
- John Cummings
Feedback from participants is available here
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Kingston University Women in Science editathon|