Welcome to the wiki for Wikimedia UK. We are a registered charity in the UK dedicated to collecting, developing, promoting and distributing Open Knowledge. Wikimedia UK is the local Wikimedia chapter covering the United Kingdom and supports volunteer editors of, and contributors to, Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia projects such as Wikimedia Commons which are independently run by the Wikimedia Foundation.
What we do
Wikimedia UK hosts outreach events, such as edit-a-thons and training sessions, around the country where experienced editors and newcomers can contribute to the Wikimedia projects together. We also work with institutions to improve the quality of content on Wikipedia. Learn about some of our initiatives:
- Cultural partnerships (GLAM partnerships) - We partner with cultural institutions up and down the country to help them share the information they hold on Wikipedia and its sister sites
- Expert outreach - We work with scholars and academics, involving them in contributing their knowledge to Wikimedia projects
- Education projects - We promote the use of Wikimedia sites as educational resources
- Training - We run numerous training events to help people learn how to contribute to Wikipedia and its sister sites
How you can get involved
There are many ways to get involved in our work. Find out more about ways to contribute:
- Become a member- Members play a key role in shaping the future of the Chapter. Membership is open to all and costs just £5 a year.
- Attend an event - We organise and support events all over the country, why not go to one near you?
- Apply for a grant - We offer grants to support members' editing or outreach work.
- - Your donations go towards supporting our events and keeping Wikipedia free and open.
Partner with us
We are always looking for like-minded organisations who want to work with us. Get in touch with us:
- If you represent a cultural institutions, please contact us on glamwikimedia.org.uk
- If you represent an education establishment, please contact us on educationwikimedia.org.uk
- If you don't fit into either of these, please contact us on infowikimedia.org.uk