Welcome to the wiki for Wikimedia UK, the national chapter for the global Wikimedia movement.
Wikimedia UK believes that open access to knowledge is a fundamental right, and a driver for social and economic development. A registered charity, we work with the Wikimedia Projects such as Wikipedia to enable people and organisations to contribute to a shared understanding of the world through the democratic creation, distribution and consumption of knowledge. We are committed to the ideal of a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge, and believe that here in the UK, we can play a unique and important role in realising that vision.
What we do
Our mission is to support and advocate for the development of open knowledge, working in partnership with volunteers, the cultural and education sectors and other organisations to ensure that all knowledge is available, usable and reusable online. Our key activities include:
- Developing our community of volunteers and editors through training, competitions, community engagement, small project grants, and other forms of support
- Working in partnership with organisations from the cultural and education sectors and beyond in order to unlock content, remove barriers to knowledge, develop new ways of engaging with the public and enable learners to benefit fully from the educational potential of the Wikimedia projects
- Supporting the development of open knowledge in the UK, by increasing understanding and recognition of the value of open knowledge and advocating for change at an organisational, sectoral and public policy level.
- Working with scholars and academics on Expert outreach
How you can get involved
There are many ways to get involved in our work. Find out more about ways to contribute:
- Become a member – Members play a key role in shaping the future of the Chapter. Membership is open to all and costs just £5 a year.
- Attend an event – We organise and support events all over the country; why not go to one near you?
- Apply for a grant – We offer grants to support members' editing or outreach work.
- – Your donations go towards supporting our events and keeping Wikipedia free and open.
Partner with us
We are always looking for like-minded organisations who want to work with us. Get in touch with us:
- If you represent a cultural institution, please contact us on glamwikimedia.org.uk
- If you represent an education establishment, please contact us on educationwikimedia.org.uk
- If you don't fit into either of these, please contact us on infowikimedia.org.uk