Celtic Knot Conference 2017/Programme/CK108
Title: How to kickstart a dead Wikipedia?
Date: 6 July 2017
Time: 12 noon to 1pm
Duration: 1 hour (15 minute presentation and 45 minute discussion).
Venue: University of Edinburgh Business School - Lecture Theatre 2.
- Astrid Carlsen - Wikimedia Norge.
- Sabine Rønsen - Wikimedia Norge.
- Jon Harald Søby - Wikimedia Norge.
Overview of topic:
Wikimedia Norge is supporting Wikipedias in three languages: Norwegian Bokmål (460,000 articles), Norwegian Nynorsk (130,000 articles) and Northern Sami (7,000 articles). The two Norwegian varieties are Germanic languages, while Northern Sami is an indigenous language in the Uralic language family. Northern Sami is spoken in Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia, and is by far the biggest of several living Sami languages. In Norway about 25,000 people speak Northern Sami, but far fewer are able to write in the language. The Northern Sami Wikipedia currently has no active contributors, and Wikimedia Norge is looking into building a project to revitalize the Northern Sami Wikipedia.
This conference gives us all an unique opportunity to learn from the representatives from different Celtic & Indigenous language Wikipedias. Astrid Carlsen will host a 15 min presentation followed by a 45 min discussion space, pertinent to all attendees, where we ask the following questions:
- Where do we start with no active community?
- What kinds of institutional partners should we seek?
- What activities should we prioritize?
- How can we best support a language with limited resources?
- What have been the biggest challenges for similar projects supported by Wikimedia UK and other related entities?
- What are the pitfalls, things to avoid?
Notes: Etherpad link.