Communications Organiser Job
|The page is kept as an archival reference. If you want to discuss a topic, please start a discussion on the community forum.
About Wikimedia UK
Wikimedia UK is a not-for-profit association set up to promote and support Wikipedia, its sister projects, and other open educational resources in the UK. "Open" refers to information which is available for copying, reuse and modification, including for commercial uses, without cost or restriction other than attribution. We are a volunteer-led organisation and we see volunteers continuing to play a central role in all our activities.
We were established in 2008 and are one of over thirty similar associations in countries around the world, recognised by the Wikimedia Foundation but operationally and legally independent. We work with individuals, museums, universities, businesses and media companies to make freely licensed content available and to help other people re-use open content. We seek to have a close relationship with other open content organizations in the UK, and with the global community of Wikimedia readers and editors.
Wikimedia UK has been recognised as a UK charity. Our annual income is over £1,000,000 and we have over 300 members. There are approximately 15,000,000 people in the UK who regularly use Wikimedia projects and 10,000 people who regularly contribute to them. With ambitious plans for growth and an active Board of Trustees, we are now entering an exciting new phase and have recently appointed our first Chief Executive.
We are now looking for a Communications Organiser to be a key member of our small team. The role will involve using all forms of communications to keep our community and the outside world informed of our activities. You will also be happy to answer the phones, support colleagues and work closely with the Wikipedian community.
The closing date was 5pm on 10th February 2012. Applications cannot now be accepted.
Job Title: Communications Organiser
Reporting to: CE
Salary: £25,000 - £29,000
Benefits: 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays, Stakeholder pension
Location: Central London
The objective is to support and promote the work of Wikimedia UK which includes Wikipedia and other open content.
To do this, the Communications organiser will need to:
- Be accountable for all aspects of internal communications for WMUK
- Support the CE in ensuring that the work and message of Wikimedia UK is clearly relayed to those within and without the WMUK community
- Support and encourage the participation of volunteers in the activities of Wikimedia UK.
- Be part of the office team delivering the Wikimedia UK plan
- Build a relationship of trust with the board and the broader Wikimedia community
- Work with the CE to deliver and develop a communications strategy for WMUK.
- Support CE and board on external communications and creating a comprehensive comms policy.
- Report to the CE and administrator on the financial management of the communications strategy ensuring it remains on budget.
- Prepare regular, publicly available, reports to the CE and board on the delivery of the communications strategy and how it can be developed.
- Encourage and promote the involvement of volunteers and ensure that volunteers are provided with opportunities to support and participate in the organization.
- Maintain and develop the full range of Wiki pages within the WMUK community and develop any extra wikis as needed.
- Maintain and create means of communicating with the members and community including web sites, blogging and social media.
- Build up relationships with the media and develop media opportunities for WMUK.
- Working with the Board and CE to originate and disseminate press releases on behalf of WMUK.
- Create publications for use by WMUK in its development, e,g, Annual Reports.
- To support other staff, trustees and volunteers in communications matters.
- Support the CE and Board by developing an effective and evolving communications strategy.
- Be the first point of call for media enquiries.
- Develop media strategies and policies to promote the work of WMUK, in particular with the annual fundraiser.
- Work with volunteers to discover media opportunities to promote their work.
- Support the development of new projects.
- Proven experience of delivering a communications strategy at a national level.
- Understanding of the Wikimedia community and its communication tools.
- Experience of working effectively with a team of volunteers
- Experience of working in a charitable or not-for-profit environment (desirable).
- Track record in writing, web editing and social media
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Passionate about the aims and values of Wikimedia UK.
- The energy to support the CE in growing an organisation from its earliest stages; using vision, innovation and strategic thinking.
- Good people management skills, with the ability to involve and inspire volunteers working remotely over geographically dispersed locations.
- An understanding of internet technologies, in particular wikis.
- An understanding of Social Media.
- Excellent software skills, including Desk Top Publishing, Web Content Management Systems, word-processing, spreadsheets, internet procedures, and database applications.
- Excellent project management abilities.
- Flexible approach, with the capability to be a team player in a high-growth start-up environment, and identify and manage opportunities and risk.
- Logical, clear thinking, diplomatic and patient approach.
- Understanding of working with and managing volunteers; the ability to learn quickly and integrate within the Wikimedia community.
- Ability to work flexible hours and locations as required.
- Undertake training as required.
- Knowledge of other languages (desirable).