EduWiki Conference 2012/Travel to Leicester
The nearest airport to Leicester is East Midlands Airport, with direct flights to approximately 90 destinations in 28 countries. The Leicester Skylink bus service operates a frequent service (every 30 minutes during the day and hourly at night) connecting the airport with Leicester St Margaret's Bus Station. There is also a taxi rank outside St Margaret's.
East Midlands Airport (from outside UK): +44 1332 852 852
- Leicester is also accessible from multiple other airports in th UK, including:
The airport has a train station attached, from which Leicester is accessible with one change at Birmingham New Street (10 minutes away). There is also a coach service (one change).
There are regular train services from Luton Airport Parkway to Leicester.
Coach services also run from the airport.
There are regular trains from Gatwick with a change at St Pancras station in London. A coach service operates to Leicester at St. Margaret's Bus Station.
Stansted has a direct train connection to Leicester.
There is a direct coach service from Leicester to Heathrow Airport. Further travel options can be found on the airport's page.
You can take a taxi to Leicester from a majority of the airports, for some details please see here.
The United Kingdom is a member country of the European Union. This means that all citizens of EU member states with a valid travel document (passport or European ID card) are allowed to travel freely within the European Union (including the UK) for up to 3 months.
Many people from other regions will also be able to visit the UK without a visa. To determine whether you will need a visa to visit the UK, go to www.ukvisas.gov.uk. The nature of any visa required will depend on your nationality and your current country of residence. The typical cost for a VISA for a short visit to the UK is £76.
The following individuals can enter the United Kingdom without a visa:
- As of right
- Citizens of Commonwealth countries who have the right of abode in the United Kingdom under the Immigration Act 1971
- Citizens of European Union member states
- Citizens of non-EU member states of the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland)
- British Nationals (whether they have the right of abode in the United Kingdom or not) of the following categories:
All the countries below have visa-free access to the UK for at least 90 days.
* - European Union member states