Expert outreach/BSHS 2015 Conference at Swansea
The event will be held at Swansea University on Friday, 3 July 2015
“To foster understanding of the history and social impact of science, technology and medicine in all their branches in the academic and wider communities, and to provide a national focus for the discipline” BSHS Website
To coincide with the annual conference of the British Society for the History of Science (http://www.bshs.org.uk/), join us for an afternoon of communal updating of Wikipedia entries on subjects related to the history of science, technology and medicine. Wikipedia is one of the most high-profile and frequently-consulted public reference sources, and we want to make sure that the content is as high-quality as it can be. With well over 100 leading experts in the history of science heading to Swansea, it is the perfect time to bring along your ideas for Wikipedia pages which need creating from scratch, updating or expanding. We are especially keen for contributions on marginal, forgotton or missing figures or places, and some of the edited pages will be featured on the BSHS website. We will provide tutorials for beginner Wikipedians, so now is your chance to get involved!
There will be computer terminals available for everyone who registers, but you are welcome to bring along your own laptop and power cord if you’d prefer. Join us for lunch beforehand from 1pm, then the editing starts in earnest at 2pm.
Attendees will be given the chance to learn how to edit Wikipedia, to add and improve content relating to the history of science. Experts will be on hand from both fields: history of science, technology and medicine and with editing Wikipedia.
Please register your attendance in advance by adding your name below.
- w:Robin Owain (WMUK) (organiser; not present at event)
- James Stark (BSHS)
- Andy Mabbett, Wikimedian in Residence, Royal Society of Chemistry
Please add your username here
- + two other new editors
Suggested articles for creation/improvement
- Big Science
- Anatomical Pathology (pathological anatomy)
- Medical Humanities
- Veterinary Medicine (History)
- Articles listed at en:Wikipedia:GLAM/Royal Society of Chemistry#Articles needed
How Do I Prepare?
If you want to learn more about wiki-editing, please try these introductions :
- Beginners' Guide to Wikipedia
- Five Pillars of Wikipedia, philosophical guidelines
- How to edit a page
- Guide to Writing Wikipedia Pages for Notable Women in Computing by Susan H. Rodger (applicable to any biography)
- Article development
- Your First Article (using the Article Wizard, if you wish)
- Manual of Style
- Citation templates
- Infobox templates
- Bookshelf, additional "getting started" resources
Notices of this page have been placed on:
- Wikipedia Science Conference - In partnership with the Wellcome Trust, we are hosting a two-day conference, around the intersection of STEM subjects and Wikimedia, on 2nd and 3rd September 2015, in London.