Expert outreach/Wikipedian in Residence at the National Library of Wales/Wales-Patagonia Event
The event will be held at the National Library of Wales on the 19th of June 2015
150 years ago, in 1865 the Mimosa carried a small band of Welsh emigrants in search of a better life from Liverpool to the Americas. They established a colony (Y Wladfa) in Patagonia with Welsh schools, churches and Eisteddfodau. The pioneers faced many challenges and their dream of an independent Welsh state was not to be, but their legacy remains today: the Welsh language can still be heard today in the chapels and tea rooms of Patagonia. The aim of this event is to share the story of the brave colonists who left everything they knew and sailed into the unknown in search of a dream.
Attendees will be given the chance to learn how to edit Wikipedia, to add and improve content relating to the Welsh Colony in Patagonia. Experts will be on hand to provide source material and to help with editing and adding pictures to Wikipedia.
Peoples collection Wales invites you to share stories, photographs, letters, documents and objects relating to the Welsh in Patagonia. Staff will be on hand to scan and record your material and upload it to the Peoples Collection platform where they can be shared with the world. And why not release your images to Wikipedia at the same time, so that they can be added to the Worlds largest encyclopedia.
Please register your attendance in advance by adding your name below.
- Jason.nlw (talk) Jason Evans, Wikipedian in Residence at NLW (Organiser)
- Guto Morgan
- Gastón Cuello (talk) Gastón, Wikipedian from Patagonia. I can help with photos and Spanish Wikipedia.
- Isabella Hughes
- Hazel Davies
- Dafydd Tudur
- Deiniol Glyn
- Richard Huws (Donating images only)
- Eiry Palfrey (Donating images via email)
- Virginia West
- Eirionedd Baskerville
- Eleri James
- Eilir Wyn Evans
Please add your username here
Images Donated to Wikipedia
About 400 (To be added to Commons soon)
- w:Y Wladfa
- w:Edward Jones Williams
- cy:Cwmni Masnachol Camwy
- w:Chubut River
- w:Chubut Trading Company
- cy:Y Brut
- cy:David Bowen (Patagonia)
- cy:Joseph Seth Jones
- cy:Edward Jones Williams
- cy:Teulu Davies Llandrillo
- cy:Ein Breiniad
Suggested articles for creation/improvement
- The Welsh language Wicipedia has a 'WiciBrosiect y Wladfa' project page full to the brim of ideas.
- Y Wladfa
- Michael D. Jones
- Sir Love Jones-Parry
- Lewis Jones
- Rawson, Chubut
- Gaiman, Chubut
- Ysgol yr Hendre
Images of the Editathon
- National Library of Wales. Photographs of Patagonia
- Peoples Collection Wales
- The Wales - Argentina Society
- 'Glaniad' - a visual history of the Welsh Colony in Patagonia