Looking at the next five years/GLAM workshop summary
What would define a success of the projects - increased diversity, volunteers, media?
Where do we want to be in 5 years time[edit | edit source]
- Equipping GLAMs with tools (them knowing what their assets useful for Wikimedia projects are, uploads, metrics of digital imprint - reports)
- Brand awareness in all significant institutions - all GLAMs are aware of us and had thought about whether they want to engage with us (included in their strategy). We are seen as an important partner.
- Enhancing the WIR program – every significant organisation knows what this is. WIRs are able to identify the things of significance within their host organisations (rather than just focusing on teaching people to edit). Also look at legacy of the residency. Within GLAMs, WIRs as integrated staff roles.
- Award for 'Investor in Open Knowledge'. WMUK helping with creating the standard. Wiki ethos as a part of the museum accreditation for institutions. Open Knowledge Manifesto being a base for Open Knowledge participation for organisations.
- Be seen as the key partner for big institutions
- Focus on strategic impact and cultural change
- Work on project funding to support other projects
- Expanding in Wales and Scotland
- linking up with education sector (a lot of scope here)
- If other projects are doing something better, we should be supporting these – not putting unnecessary effort into Wikimdia projects - a founder role.
What additional type of activities should we include[edit | edit source]
- Improved mechanisms for applying for grants
- Training for digital skills rather than just Wikipedia workshop - may be easier to sell for organisations
- Working with GLAMs as a means to reach out to the public (make it sustainable, share knowledge, increase awareness). Local events attracting people like local historians.
What organisations we should focus on[edit | edit source]
- Religious archives (diversity)
- institutions that have unique content, all significant institutions
- Smaller scale institutions to reach out to local communities
- education sector organisations
- private collectors (niche content)
What we need to support these ideas[edit | edit source]
- Case studies, e.g. AHRC and the BL
- welcome packs for GLAMs
- Ethos, training programme for WIRs. Giving them additional skills.
- Tapping into volunteers who help at local museums. Role descriptions for projects.
- Self assessment for organisations to see how well they are doing – with WIRs and Open Knowledge
- Documentation! Starter packs
- Upload tools
- Focus on strategic impact and cultural change – volunteer schemes
- Attending museum strategy days, events to spread awareness
- Tools for Wikimedians, OTRS, improved tools for uploading content from other websites
- Regional coordinators – point of contact. Presence outside London, meetups
- toolkit for volunteers to approach institutions
- helping volunteers to approach their local institutions