Minutes 2011-10-16

From Wikimedia UK
Jump to navigation Jump to search
These minutes were approved at the Board meeting on 19 November 2011.

Minutes for Board meeting on 16 October 2011, 1.00-2.00pm, held in-person at Pendrel's Oak, London.

Present:

  • Roger Bamkin (Chair)
  • Mike Peel (Minutes)
  • Andrew Turvey
  • Martin Poulter
  • Steve Virgin
  • Chris Keating
  • Jon Davies

The meeting started at 1.10pm.

Apologies for absence[edit | edit source]

There were no apologies; all Board members and the Chief Exec were present.

Approval of new members[edit | edit source]

New members were approved in three batches: 7 new members were approved by email prior to the meeting, 5 new members were approved at the start of the meeting, and 5 new members were approved at the end of the meeting. The approvals have been recorded in the in-camera minutes.

Scope of the Executive committee, and potential for a trustee code[edit | edit source]

Fæ's proposal at Board meetings/Executive committee was discussed. Several modifications were made to the wiki page during the meeting, particularly including one modification on what constitutes quorum at an exec meeting.

It was noted that there is a distinction between expense policy (which should be discussed by the full board) vs. the expenses procedure (which comes under the exec, and primarily Jon).

The approach to take in emergency situations where a quick board decision outside of a full board meeting needs to be made was discussed; the general feeling was that the full Board can make these decisions by email, and that the three board members that are present at the executive meeting only need to call one extra person to make a board decision.

The question was raised about whether we will have the executive structure in place next year; the situation is currently unclear, but it was felt to be reasonably likely that it will continue with the next Board.

There was no decision made at this meeting on the committee definition; the topic will be reviewed in the future.

ACTION: All board members to look at the Executive Committee proposed definition, and to ask members for input.

Rate of repaying expense claims[edit | edit source]

AT explained that there were a number of issues with submitted expense claims that have now been resolved. There are currently 2-3 long-term outstanding claims, which typically have issues attached; the bulk of expenses are being paid in a timely manner.

ACTION: Jon to look at the expense system and to come back to the board with a proposal for improving it.

How the chapter works in the community[edit | edit source]

This included Geonotice, uploads etc.; and involvement in legal disputes.

This was briefly discussed. The conclusion was a reminder that board members are part of the community with no special status, and as such have to follow the community processes.

AOB[edit | edit source]

There was no other business.

Date of next meeting[edit | edit source]

The next full-board meeting will be on 19-20 November, in-person in London. All board members + CEO + Office manager expected to be present excepting for extenuating circumstances.

ACTION: Jon to book hotel rooms for the meeting as needed, liaising with AT on finances.

The main part of the meeting ended at 1.30pm, with the meeting coming to a end at 2.30pm.