Wikimedia UK's office is in London:
- Postal address
- Wikimedia UK
- 4th Floor, Development House,
- 56-64 Leonard Street
- EC2A 4LT
- 020 7065 0990
- International +44 20 7065 0990
- There is a reduced escalator service at Old Street station until March 2014.
||Old Street||0.2 miles (<5 minutes' walk)|
|Moorgate||1 mile (~8 minutes' walk)|
The closest tube station is Old Street, which is on the Northern Line, two stops from King's Cross/St Pancras.
At Old Street tube station, follow signs to Exit 4 (or 3 if you need a ramp), and then continue South (on City Road, heading away from the roundabout) for less than a minute on foot to get to Leonard Street and then east on Leonard Street (first left after Sainsbury's shop) for just over 100 meters. Development House is on the corner with Paul Street.
If you are arriving at Heathrow airport, then take the Piccadilly underground service to King's Cross, where you should change to Northern Line heading south to Old Street or you can take the Heathrow Link (more expensive than the underground but faster) or the Heathrow Express (even more expensive and even faster) to Paddington and then the Hammersmith and City line or the Circle line from Paddington to Moorgate.
From Stanstead Airport trains come to Liverpool Street station which is about 15 minutes walk from the office or you can take the 135 bus to Ravey St and walk from there.
From Gatwick Airport the trains run to Victoria and to London Bridge/St Pancras. Get a train to London Bridge and the Northern Line from there to Old St station.
In addition, there is a Barclays Cycle Hire station (known locally as "Boris Bikes") just outside the building ("Leonard Circus, Shoreditch"). The service requires a credit/debit card payment of £2 for 24 hours' access (for casual users), after which you borrow a bike for up to 30 minutes at no extra cost. The office is within viable walking or cycling distance (<5 miles) of all main line railway termini and the majority of central London. For motorists, limited car parking is available in the vicinity of the office; it should be noted that not only is Leonard Street within the congestion charge zone, but also that many businesses in the vicinity have no parking facilities for either staff or visitors. Public transport may be a better option than driving.
Development House is open to the public from 09:00-17:00 Monday-Friday. At other times by arrangement. We have a small staff so please check before visiting to avoid disappointment but we welcome visitors.
Development House has several meeting rooms with WiFi that Wikimedia UK has access to, although they require booking.
We have several laptops available in the office for visitors to use, including a Macbook, a Chromebook and a few laptops with Windows 7 and Ubuntu. We also have monitors (VGA/DVI/HDMI), keyboards and mice (USB) for visitors to plug their own laptop into. Free WiFi is also available.
- This list is incomplete - please add recommendations below.
- Tavistock Hotel near London Euston (3 stops from Old Street). Flat, reasonable rate (£78.00 Single / £102.00 Double inc VAT & breakfast, as of February 2014).
- Holiday Inn Express London City, on Old Street is close to the office, and sometimes has reasonable rates
- Travelodge London Central Moorgate, on City Road not far from the office; rates vary but can be reasonable
- Thistle City Barbican, just under a mile from the office; can have good rates if booked in advance
- Nearby hotels on hotels.com
Wikimedia UK has its own supplies of coffee, tea bags and sugar (all Fairtrade). Sandwiches, pizza etc can be supplied by external caterers for events held at the office.
Cafés and fast food outlets
Near the the office there are several sandwich bar-type places including:
- Pret a Manger (at the end of the road)
- Several local delicatessens with a few minutes' walk, including the Castle Sandwich Bar, the staff's café of choice!
There are a couple of supermarkets (including a Sainsbury's) and lots of kebab shops/fish and chip shops nearby, too.
Our standard restaurant is The Yard, a pleasant but not overly expensive Italian restaurant which does a range of pizzas and pastas. It's close to our office and close to the local hotels.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Development House, London|