This project won't cost the earth:
we estimate the CO2 emissions will be less than 40% than if a dozen people go by air!
To take a minibus from London to Esino Lario for Wikimania 2016 taking a dozen wikimedians and Wikimedia UK luggage and also providing a transport resource for the duration of the Wikimania event.
- Provide a cost-effective way of enabling Wikimedian volunteers to travel to Wikimania 2016
- Provide a cost-effective way of taking and bringing back Wikimedia UK luggage (Equipment, WMUK Publicity and other appropriate material) to Wikimania 2016
- Provide an addition to the resource pool for the effective delivery of Wikimania 2016
- Provide a team-building experience for Wikimedia UK volunteers supporting Wikimania 2016
- Provide a reliable structure so that volunteer tasks can be delegated to the Wikimedia UK Volunteer team during Wikimania 2016
- Fun: provide a positive memorable experience for volunteers, visiting interesting places on the way and endeavouring to meet other Wikimedians as well. Maybe we can form a convoy.
- Monday 20 June Leave London — first overnight stop Monday night
- Tuesday 21 June Visit interesting place — second overnight stop Tuesday night
- Wednesday 22 June Drive through Alps — Arrive at Esino Lario Wednesday night
- Thursday 23 – Sunday 26 June Wikimania
- Monday 27 June Leave Esino Lario — third overnight stop Monday night
- Tuesday 28 June Visit interesting place — fourth overnight stop Tuesday night
- Wednesday 29 June Visit interesting place — arrive back in London Wednesday afternoon
When are the key milestones to be achieved in the planning process[edit | edit source]
- The bus needs to be maximum for 35 people to facilitate the driving in the mountains streets of Esino Lario.
- Solution: We plan to have a minibus for 17 people, but with only a dozen occupants (to enable us to take camping equipment, Wikimedia UK material as well as personal luggage).
- People book early for flights, and so don't want to come on bus.
- Solution: Set deadline to confirm bus is definitely going ahead.
- Publicity and outreach
- This makes a good news story. And not just for the UK news media, but for the countries we pass through
- Working on Wikimedia projects on the way, and on the way back, can involve local Wikimedians or proto-wikimedians.
- Adding material to the projects.
- Pre- and post-WikiMania idea exchanges