Science Museum Late/Fun facts
The Science Museum runs certain repeated events at each Late. Two that concern us are the pub quiz and the game show. (We don't have to worry about the silent disco.) Can we gather here a list of fun facts that the Science Museum can use to create questions? These can be about Wikipedia, other Wikimedia projects, or Wikimedia UK. They should be the sort of thing that will make the audience go "Oh, I didn't know that. That's intriguing." And of course they need to be verifiable.
Please complete the statements if you can, with a source in the edit summary if possible.
Feel free to add any new factual statements too.
Wikipedia[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia was founded in 2001.
- Wikipedia now exists in 287 languages.
- ........ of those languages are represented in the UK [have more than 1000 speakers each, according to the latest Census, or are present in London schools, etc]
- The English Wikipedia has 4.6 million articles.
- About half of these articles are "stubs" - containing only a couple of sentences.
- It took [amount of time] for EN WP to reach its first 100 000 articles, then [x] to reach 1 million, etc....
- The next biggest language Wikipedias are, in descending order, German, French, Spanish, Russian and Italian.
- The Wikipedia with the smallest number of articles is ........
- The most active Wikipedia for its size is ..... (by number of active editors/number of edits per month/other criterion)
- The Welsh Wikipedia has more page hits per month than the Welsh BBC by a factor of 8.
- 2.5 million pages on the Welsh Wikipedia are opened per month, making it the most popular Welsh website in the cosmos!
- The Scots Wikipedia ....
- The Gaelic Wikipedia...
- The Latin Wikipedia...
- has been accessed via a 1964 modem
- The text of the english wikipedia would take up about 2056 encyclopedia Britannica volumes
Wikimedia projects[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia is not the only Wikimedia project. The next most popular or well-known is Wikimedia Commons, the image library; and then in descending order of use WikiData....
Wikimedia Foundation and WMUK[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia is a top-ten internet property, along with Google, Amazon, and eBay.
- Google employs ..... people; Amazon ......; eBay .....
- The Wikimedia Foundation in San Francisco, who oversee the whole show, employs 228 people.
- Wikimedia UK employs 15 people.
- There's an annual festival/conference called Wikimania that has been running since ....
- Only two of those ten Wikimanias have been in the United States.
- The most recent one was held in London in August 2014.
People[edit | edit source]
- Approximately .........people in the UK have contributed to Wikimedia projects in the past year.
- A majority of the edits to the English Wikipedia are done by only .... editors.
- Of every 100 editors, 85-90 are male. [other stats of systemic bias]
Ideas for sources[edit | edit source]
More can be extracted from e.g. History of Wikipedia.