Education Committee/Education Committee meeting 16 April 2013/Report
Since the previous meeting of the Committee in January, there has been some progress for the WMUK Virtual Learning Environment; and some matters are in hand.
- Basic steps forward
- A new skin was added in February.
- Five evaluations of the VLE have been obtained, one from outside the Wikimedia community, two from representatives of other chapters, and two from people who have held WMF positions.
- An organisational meeting was held in the WMUK office in March, to create actions in response to the evaluations.
- The authentication software has been configured, meaning the intended wiki+Moodle system can be seen in action, and accounts can be created without VLE access.
- Accesses to the VLE have been created, carrying out actions from the January meeting.
- A basic set of protocols has been created for circulation, allowing VLE editing with the wiki doing version control and tracking attribution.
- In hand
- A pilot use of the VLE in its intended role as support for WMUK workshops is possible on 30 April.
- The developer assigned to the work has a to-do list, including setting up Moodle in the WMUK hosting. This will allow further work in-house and by volunteers on skins and software.
- SB will give a presentation on the VLE at the WMUK AGM in June, with a demo module.
- There is a detailed outline for improving the look of the VLE (SB).
- CM has put together a detailed outline of a second staff role on the VLE, overseeing content.
- Volunteers are available for further technical and evaluation work.
- CM has three tasks for documentation, which would be under the existing contract, and can now move introductory material onto the wiki.
- Two audits of the VLE should be carried out, for accessibility and to get control of internal communications.
- On the three-month scale
It is hoped to have a developed system online to be trialled during Wikimania in August. The migration of the VLE to WMUK's hosting will be discussed.