GLAM Toolset training April 2015
Wikimedia UK is running training sessions to how people how to use the GLAM Toolset for mass uploads to Wikimedia Commons.
- Venue: Wikimedia UK 4th floor, Development house, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT
- Trainer: Ally Crockford
Attendees will learn how to use the mass upload tool to import files into Wikimedia Commons where those files are already on the Internet and the metadata is in xml format (manipulating metadata into xml format and loading files not available on the web may be covered in a future training session). Mapping Metadata from xml to Commons will be covered.
To benefit from this training you need:
- a working knowledge of the category structure on Wikimedia Commons
- to bring a laptop, or book one from GLAM@Wikimedia.org.uk
- to request Toolset user rights on Commons Beta
- If you have difficulty getting user rights by requesting them on the request page, please join the GLAM Tools mailing list and request urgent access to both Commons Beta and the toolset - this tends to be faster and less complicated
Expenses & Subsistence
Tea and coffee will be available. Food will not be provided.
Funding for this event is extremely limited, so we will not be able to provide expenses to attendees. However, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you work or volunteer for a major institution, or have a track record of working with mass digitisation projects or large cultural institutions, and we may be able to help.
There are two identical sittings. If you can make one please sign that section, if you can make either please sign both indicating a first or second choice.
Sitting 1 - Tuesday 7th April
This session will run from 18:30 to 20:30.
- AdamBMorgan (talk/[meta:User:AdamBMorgan meta]) 22:16, 24 March 2015 (GMT)
- Jonathan Cardy (WMUK) (talk) 13:57, 25 March 2015 (GMT)
- Tristan Hill 16:47, 25 March 2015 (GMT)
- Mahendramahey (talk) 14:55, 7 April 2015 (BST) and one other #(Dimi)
- Jean Fred
Sitting 2 - Wednesday 8th April
This session will run from 11:00 to 13:00.
- Jason Evans
- Siân Thomas
- John Cummings
- Daria Cybulska (tbc, first day back from leave, may not be able to confirm before the day)
- Richard Symonds
- Katie Chan (WMUK) (talk)
- Stuart Prior
- PatHadley (talk)
- Jonathan Cardy (WMUK) (talk)
- Jean Fred
Sign below if you would like to attend but can't make either date.
- --MichaelMaggs (talk) 09:23, 28 March 2015 (GMT)
- Possibly the 7th, but I'm flying the next day, so probably not. Johnbod (talk) 17:20, 30 March 2015 (BST)
- 22.214.171.124 10:11, 13 April 2015 (BST)
- GLAMtools mailing list: for requesting GWToolset user rights on Commons Beta
- GWToolset on Commons Live
- Commons Beta home page: create an account to test Toolset
- GWToolset on Commons Beta
- Toolset info page - clear instructions and links
- Video: Converting Excel spreadsheet to XML
- Instructions to turn on Excel Developer Tab
- Page for discussing batch uploads
- Tabula: a tool for extracting data tables from PDF files
- PowerPoint slides from training session
- Aetherpad for collaborative notes
- Google Refine - A tool for messing around with datasets. View the videos!
- Tabula is a tool for liberating data tables locked inside PDF files