IT Development/Technology committee meetings/Minutes 17 June 2014

From Wikimedia UK
Jump to: navigation, search
These minutes were approved at the Tech Com meeting on 15 July 2014.

Attendees[edit | edit source]

  • Richard Nevell (RN) Chairing
  • Carol Campbell (CC)
  • Harry Burt (HB)
  • Emmanuel Engelhart (EE)
  • Doug Taylor (DT)
  • Mike Peel (MP)
  • Joseph Seddon (JS)
  • Charles Matthews (CM)

Apologies[edit | edit source]

  • Michael Maggs

Meeting began at 18:03

Minutes[edit | edit source]

  • Last minutes agreed as accurate.

Matters arising[edit | edit source]

  • Mailing list changeover complete
  • CM reported briefly on Sweden contact

Mapping[edit | edit source]

  • JS gave background. Posed question about whether we would be willing to take on the project. MP noted that WMF have set up a Maps & Geo team.
  • HB voiced support for our involvement. Can we set up a "Geo-camp" in the UK to help build momentum?
ACTION: JS and HB to draft proposal for event
ACTION: JS to approach TF Yes check.svg Done
  • DT suggested a notice in WikimediaUK-l mailing list to engage interest.
ACTION: JS to send notice
  • HB asked if we can get OSM and other folks along to Wikimania.
ACTION: JS to find out whether there are OSM people in attendance

Accessibility[edit | edit source]

  • CC introduced the topic and is looking to get together a team to move forward.
  • Putting together a list and hoping to have have a first meeting perhaps end of September/early October. Probably at WMUK Office. CC will be mailing people soon. Jon Davies has contacted Foundation Project on Accessibility. Template:Citation needed
  • HB volunteered to be a link with the WikiProject.
ACTION: HB to work with CC on accessibility

Wikimania[edit | edit source]

VLE[edit | edit source]

The is a submission about the Virtual Learning Environment at Wikimania. CM reported that he has been working with Stevie Benton on the three different projects we are engaged on for the VLE:

  • Single-Sign On module for wiki-Moodle integration (looking for quote)
  • Magnus Manske's quiz creation tool
  • Transclusion of content into Moodle (looking for quote)

Date and Chair of next meeting[edit | edit source]

HB to chair next meeting.

  • Aiming for mid-July

AOB[edit | edit source]

Scoping Exercise[edit | edit source]

RN to speak JS urged TechComm to speak to Tom to help shape the strategy.

  • EE will load an extension to block Tor nodes tonight.
  • HB described the problem of blocking legitimate users who are using Tor to circumvent local censorship.
  • MP looking for someone to organise Tech Workshop.

Meeting closed at 18:41