Meetings/2009-03-10/IRC

From Wikimedia UK
Jump to: navigation, search

#wikimedia-uk-board

[2009-03-10 20:31:42] <AndrewRT> are we rwady to start?
[2009-03-10 20:31:55] =-= Mode #wikimedia-uk-board +o KTC  by chanserv
[2009-03-10 20:32:04] =-= Mode #wikimedia-uk-board +v Warofdreams  by chanserv
[2009-03-10 20:32:08] =-= Mode #wikimedia-uk-board -o KTC  by chanserv
[2009-03-10 20:32:16] <Warofdreams> I am now - thanks!
[2009-03-10 20:32:16] <KTC> hello
[2009-03-10 20:32:32] <KTC> cfp & mpeel 
[2009-03-10 20:33:08] <AndrewRT> mpeel>	I might be late this evening - am currently sitting on top of the physics building doing some observations, since it's a clear night.
[2009-03-10 20:33:51] <AndrewRT> he said that 19:51
[2009-03-10 20:34:20] <AndrewRT> cfp is in #wikimania-oxford
[2009-03-10 20:34:28] <KTC> he's here
[2009-03-10 20:34:42] <KTC> *� �28[�cfp�28]� idle�26 00:10:04�, 
[2009-03-10 20:35:32] <KTC> ok
[2009-03-10 20:35:38] <KTC> let's get going regardless
[2009-03-10 20:35:39] -->| Majorly (n=chatzill@wikimedia/Majorly) has joined #wikimedia-uk-board
[2009-03-10 20:35:42] <KTC> 3 is a quorum
[2009-03-10 20:35:48] <KTC> +2 sortof here
[2009-03-10 20:35:49] <AndrewRT> sure
[2009-03-10 20:36:11] <KTC> Minutes - http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetings/2009-03-02
[2009-03-10 20:36:16] <KTC> Agenda - http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetings/2009-03-10/Agenda
[2009-03-10 20:36:50] <KTC> approval of last minute AndrewRT & Warofdreams 
[2009-03-10 20:36:56] <AndrewRT> minutes - no changes frm me
[2009-03-10 20:37:03] <Warofdreams> and I wrote them, so I'm happy
[2009-03-10 20:37:15] <KTC> just checking Warofdreams :)
[2009-03-10 20:37:20] <Warofdreams> :)
[2009-03-10 20:37:26] <AndrewRT> cfp, mpeel - minutes ok?
[2009-03-10 20:37:39] <AndrewRT> mpeel has added some links so I guess he's ok with them
[2009-03-10 20:37:56] <KTC> i'll work to the principle that if they respond to a topic, we can go back to it
[2009-03-10 20:37:57] <KTC> Matters Arising 
[2009-03-10 20:38:05] <AndrewRT> Tellers
[2009-03-10 20:38:08] <AndrewRT> that's me
[2009-03-10 20:38:27] <AndrewRT> We previously appointed Sarah and James as tellers
[2009-03-10 20:38:33] <AndrewRT> Sarah unfortunately has stood down
[2009-03-10 20:38:44] <AndrewRT> she's very busy atm - standing for the student union!
[2009-03-10 20:38:57] <AndrewRT> so now we only have one teller
[2009-03-10 20:39:01] <Warofdreams> just as well we appointed two tellers initially
[2009-03-10 20:39:11] <AndrewRT> do we want to leave as just James or appoint another person with him?
[2009-03-10 20:39:23] <Warofdreams> did we have any other volunteers?
[2009-03-10 20:39:24] <KTC> any idea whether there's any other volunteer?
[2009-03-10 20:39:35] <AndrewRT> no one else came forward when I asked for volunteers
[2009-03-10 20:40:03] <Warofdreams> so long as James is reliable - and it looks like he is - we don't really need more than one teller
[2009-03-10 20:40:05] <AndrewRT> James seems to have everything in hand and has experience doing this before
[2009-03-10 20:40:25] <AndrewRT> he's here - LondonStatto - if you want to ask him any questions
[2009-03-10 20:40:40] <AndrewRT> and he's happy being the sole teller if the Board is too
[2009-03-10 20:40:59] <KTC> i would prefer more than 1 if we can
[2009-03-10 20:41:06] <KTC> but if we can't then um we can't :/
[2009-03-10 20:41:35] <AndrewRT> so what shoudl we do?
[2009-03-10 20:42:04] <Warofdreams> what do we need more than one teller for?  are you thinking of backup, checking, sharing workload?
[2009-03-10 20:42:12] <KTC> checking
[2009-03-10 20:42:47] <Warofdreams> could we appoint someone at the start of the event to assist with that (I can't remember what the regs say)
[2009-03-10 20:42:58] <AndrewRT> we coudl appoint a secdon teller at the AGM to do the actual vote counting if we want
[2009-03-10 20:43:45] <AndrewRT> rules are silent on this: 
[2009-03-10 20:43:46] <KTC> the chair is happy to oversee a single teller since he's not standing.... but that would mean vote counting may not be able to go on at the same time as the rest of the meeting
[2009-03-10 20:43:47] <AndrewRT> Teller(s)
[2009-03-10 20:43:48] <AndrewRT> The Board shall appoint one or more tellers who will count the votes in accordance with these rules. 
[2009-03-10 20:44:36] <Warofdreams> I say let's have James as a single teller, and appoint someone to conduct a second count on the day - could be KTC, but better to have someone without other duties
[2009-03-10 20:44:37] <AndrewRT> current board only resigns at the end of teh AGM so we could tap someone up at the AGM and get us all to agree?
[2009-03-10 20:44:59] <AndrewRT> ok lets do that then
[2009-03-10 20:45:07] <AndrewRT> shall I move on to Location?
[2009-03-10 20:45:32] <KTC> let's ask one more time on list just to see if there's no new volunteer
[2009-03-10 20:45:35] <KTC> but otherwise yes
[2009-03-10 20:45:43] <AndrewRT> ok coudl you action me to do that?
[2009-03-10 20:45:48] <Warofdreams> will do.
[2009-03-10 20:45:49] <AndrewRT> ask on the list?
[2009-03-10 20:46:15] <AndrewRT> shall I do location?
[2009-03-10 20:46:24] <Warofdreams> please
[2009-03-10 20:46:43] <AndrewRT> one sec
[2009-03-10 20:47:07] <AndrewRT> sorry
[2009-03-10 20:47:10] <AndrewRT> yes location
[2009-03-10 20:47:19] <AndrewRT> my mate from Uni didn't respond to teh email
[2009-03-10 20:47:35] <AndrewRT> not surprisingly as I haven't been in touch with him since 10 years ago!
[2009-03-10 20:47:48] <KTC> ah
[2009-03-10 20:47:51] <AndrewRT> anyway, given that I put an email on the list asking for volunteers for locations in Manchester
[2009-03-10 20:47:53] <KTC> it was worth a try
[2009-03-10 20:48:09] <AndrewRT> Sarah has said she can book a room in Manchester
[2009-03-10 20:48:24] <AndrewRT> as I said she's standing for the student union so has some good contacts!
[2009-03-10 20:48:35] <AndrewRT> only problem is - she can only do it 28 days in advance
[2009-03-10 20:49:14] <AndrewRT> she said:
[2009-03-10 20:49:16] <AndrewRT> >>  I will almost certainly be able to book a room, I doubt anyone will get there 28 days in advance for the entire union.  I can make no cast-iron guarantees that some massive >> convention won't book out every room, but the chances of it are hugely unlikely. A sin, it's never happened in the entire time I've been at uni. Should be a safe bet.
[2009-03-10 20:49:16] <Warofdreams> that needn't be a problem if we can be 100% certain that it will be possible to book a room
[2009-03-10 20:50:04] <AndrewRT> is that good enough for teh Board?
[2009-03-10 20:50:38] <Warofdreams> she certainly sounds confident.  I do know that at Sheffield it's not unknown for the entire union to be booked out for an event, but that's probably not the case everywhere
[2009-03-10 20:50:50] <KTC> yeah
[2009-03-10 20:51:04] <AndrewRT> ok
[2009-03-10 20:51:04] <KTC> for an entire union, it does happen in place, but not often
[2009-03-10 20:51:10] <AndrewRT> can we finalise the date?
[2009-03-10 20:51:37] <KTC> sure, suggestion?
[2009-03-10 20:51:39] <AndrewRT> we put it to the community and they were very close on 25th / 26th
[2009-03-10 20:52:23] <AndrewRT> presumably you say mpeel's emails about this?
[2009-03-10 20:52:37] <AndrewRT> he suggested we decide based on room availability
[2009-03-10 20:52:44] <KTC> yeah
[2009-03-10 20:52:47] <KTC> that's fine
[2009-03-10 20:52:49] <cfp> can i just put out there that a room in a pub in birmingham would still be preferable to a seminar room in manchester... (imo)
[2009-03-10 20:53:14] <AndrewRT> why do you think that?
[2009-03-10 20:54:09] <AndrewRT> cfp?
[2009-03-10 20:54:11] <cfp> well for the reasons we agreed birmingham originally. centrality etc etc etc.
[2009-03-10 20:54:27] <cfp> there's a regular london meet up which gets decent numbers of people
[2009-03-10 20:54:44] <cfp> i'd expect them to be more inclined to come to b'ham than manchester.
[2009-03-10 20:55:18] <KTC> to be fair, a room in most student union is not much difference to a function (i.e. seperate) room in a pub
[2009-03-10 20:55:29] <KTC> it's a room on its own next to a bar
[2009-03-10 20:55:47] <AndrewRT> personally I've only ever been to one meeting in a pub room
[2009-03-10 20:56:00] <AndrewRT> and it was pretty awful - so my views are colored by that
[2009-03-10 20:56:26] <Warofdreams> I've been to a few meetings in pub rooms; some are fine, but most are badly signed
[2009-03-10 20:56:52] <AndrewRT> I found it quite awkward having an official-ish meetign next to people having a pint
[2009-03-10 20:56:55] <Warofdreams> also, a recurring problem with meeting in rooms in pubs in under-18s attending
[2009-03-10 20:56:59] <Warofdreams> *is
[2009-03-10 20:57:39] <AndrewRT> What's our vision for the meeting?
[2009-03-10 20:57:58] <KTC> in terms of people drinking, do you really expect people not to have a drink on much in a student union room?
[2009-03-10 20:58:01] <AndrewRT> Half a dozen people having a chat round a table
[2009-03-10 20:58:05] <KTC> not from my experience...
[2009-03-10 20:58:25] <KTC> under-18 is an issue
[2009-03-10 20:58:38] <AndrewRT> or 30 people listening to arranged speakers?
[2009-03-10 20:59:16] <cfp> the former. and most pubs let under 18s in to buy soft drinks don't they
[2009-03-10 20:59:32] <Warofdreams> many do
[2009-03-10 20:59:37] <AndrewRT> Tango42>	How many pubs do you know that don't let under-18's in during the afternoon?
[2009-03-10 21:00:03] <Warofdreams> so long as we know that under-18s will be fine to get in
[2009-03-10 21:00:41] <AndrewRT> We're asking people to spend maybe £50-£100 to get there, travel hundreds of miles and give up most of a day to come to this.
[2009-03-10 21:01:00] <AndrewRT> Why would anyone bother if it's just going to be five people round a table?
[2009-03-10 21:02:06] <AndrewRT> Organise a good speaker, do a proper reports and hustings and people are more likely to come
[2009-03-10 21:02:47] <cfp> well i can't say i'd have any great desire to hear someone giving a lecture about wikipedia either. and reports/hustings are often tedious.
[2009-03-10 21:02:56] <cfp> many people will have voted in advance
[2009-03-10 21:03:07] <cfp> people want a chance to tell us what to do
[2009-03-10 21:03:12] <cfp> that's why they'd come.
[2009-03-10 21:03:23] <cfp> to lecture us, not to be lectured by us.
[2009-03-10 21:03:34] <AndrewRT> sure
[2009-03-10 21:03:48] -->| Reedy (n=Reedy@wikimedia/Reedy) has joined #wikimedia-uk-board
[2009-03-10 21:03:52] <AndrewRT> but they want to come to something substantial
[2009-03-10 21:04:07] <AndrewRT> something where we've put some effort into it
[2009-03-10 21:04:14] <KTC> oh let's make a decision
[2009-03-10 21:04:24] <KTC> alternatives as we stand?
[2009-03-10 21:04:38] <KTC> manchester uni student union room
[2009-03-10 21:04:43] <Warofdreams> I agree with Andrew - we need to have something organised, with a schedule to it, to act as a focus; even if not everyone is excited about it, it will attract some people
[2009-03-10 21:04:58] <KTC> b pub function room 
[2009-03-10 21:05:48] <AndrewRT> I vote for Mcr room - better venue and we have an actual offer
[2009-03-10 21:06:11] <KTC> cfp, Warofdreams & mpeel (if he's here)
[2009-03-10 21:06:26] <cfp> b
[2009-03-10 21:07:17] <Warofdreams> I think that Manc is the way to go, but a decent pub function room in Bham which we've checked out would be fine
[2009-03-10 21:07:43] <Warofdreams> If someone is able and willing to find such a room in Bham in the next few days, then I'm happy with that
[2009-03-10 21:07:53] <KTC> who do we know in bham ?
[2009-03-10 21:07:58] <AndrewRT> personally I dont know any pubs in bham
[2009-03-10 21:08:06] <AndrewRT> we dont have any members in bham
[2009-03-10 21:08:11] <AndrewRT> afaik
[2009-03-10 21:08:20] <Warofdreams> I only know a couple of pubs in Bham, and I don't believe any of them have function rooms
[2009-03-10 21:09:30] <AndrewRT> cfp? know any pubs in bham?
[2009-03-10 21:10:49] <cfp> was just googling
[2009-03-10 21:10:52] <cfp> http://www.ukpubfinder.com/pub/11699
[2009-03-10 21:11:37] <KTC> if we don't actually have someone in bham, it will be easier to get it in manchester
[2009-03-10 21:11:39] <cfp> there are a load of pubs with function rooms in brum on that site
[2009-03-10 21:12:05] <AndrewRT> how will we know what the function room is like from this?
[2009-03-10 21:12:28] <KTC> if we want to set the agm today
[2009-03-10 21:12:31] <cfp> well we can phone and ask.
[2009-03-10 21:12:36] <KTC> then manchester is probably the way to go 
[2009-03-10 21:12:58] <cfp> but look it's up to you. i don't have the time to organise something in birmingham, so if no one is prepared to i guess it's manchester
[2009-03-10 21:13:33] <cfp> but i'd still expect a brief meeting in a pub to have greater attendance than one in manchester, even with an interesting speaker
[2009-03-10 21:13:34] <AndrewRT> looks like we're all agreed on manchester then
[2009-03-10 21:13:49] <KTC> well, i'll say we r all willing to go with that
[2009-03-10 21:14:02] <KTC> rather than we're all happy and excited over it
[2009-03-10 21:14:05] <KTC> but whatever
[2009-03-10 21:14:27] <AndrewRT> :)
[2009-03-10 21:14:37] <KTC> AndrewRT ? can you ask sarah to book a room as soon as it's available for booking?
[2009-03-10 21:14:43] <AndrewRT> yes will do
[2009-03-10 21:14:56] <Warofdreams> which date are we going for?
[2009-03-10 21:15:11] <AndrewRT> hmm
[2009-03-10 21:15:21] <KTC> sat / sun depending on availablility wasn't it? do we actually have a preference ?
[2009-03-10 21:16:06] <AndrewRT> this poll: http://doodle.com/8k228s2segg3e29n
[2009-03-10 21:16:19] <AndrewRT> had a week preference for Saturday
[2009-03-10 21:16:31] <AndrewRT> but - one person (a potential candidate) can't do this date
[2009-03-10 21:16:46] <AndrewRT> and the two people who voted for Sat rather than Sun can do the Sun
[2009-03-10 21:17:40] <AndrewRT> We need to decide
[2009-03-10 21:17:43] <KTC> is everyone here happy for a sunday if available?
[2009-03-10 21:17:45] <AndrewRT> I suggest we go with Sunday
[2009-03-10 21:17:51] <Warofdreams> I'm happy with that
[2009-03-10 21:17:52] <AndrewRT> it will be available
[2009-03-10 21:17:59] <AndrewRT> ok I'll inform Sarah
[2009-03-10 21:18:07] <KTC> AndrewRT, i'm just being careful with my language ;)
[2009-03-10 21:18:21] <AndrewRT> yeah no probs!
[2009-03-10 21:18:21] <KTC> ok, next!
[2009-03-10 21:18:33] <AndrewRT> mpeel - does someone want to ring him?
[2009-03-10 21:18:54] <KTC> if he's observing, i'm not sure
[2009-03-10 21:19:29] <KTC> AndrewRT, if you want to try?
[2009-03-10 21:19:37] <KTC> else, chapter meeting?
[2009-03-10 21:19:55] <KTC> (with website going to next meeting obviously)
[2009-03-10 21:20:15] <KTC> um, who's TD ?
[2009-03-10 21:20:38] <AndrewRT> Tom Dalton
[2009-03-10 21:21:04] <AndrewRT> Tango42
[2009-03-10 21:21:21] <KTC> "ACTION: AT to confirm extent of available funding."
[2009-03-10 21:21:29] <AndrewRT> ok - I emailed round about this
[2009-03-10 21:21:42] <AndrewRT> Yes they can fund two whole places - travel & accommodation
[2009-03-10 21:21:52] <AndrewRT> therefore Mike and tango are our two reps
[2009-03-10 21:22:09] <KTC> okay Tango42 ?
[2009-03-10 21:22:12] <AndrewRT> they are liasing direct with them
[2009-03-10 21:22:16] <KTC> :)
[2009-03-10 21:22:22] <KTC> HMRC charity status (AT)
[2009-03-10 21:22:23] <AndrewRT> dont think board needs to do anything more on this
[2009-03-10 21:22:24] <Warofdreams> this is good news - thanks for checking
[2009-03-10 21:22:26] <AndrewRT> ok
[2009-03-10 21:22:34] <AndrewRT> yes indeed!
[2009-03-10 21:22:45] <AndrewRT> HMRC - all sent off per all yoru comments
[2009-03-10 21:22:54] <Warofdreams> great
[2009-03-10 21:22:57] <AndrewRT> no response yet - hopefully will get one next week
[2009-03-10 21:23:03] <AndrewRT> fingers crossed!!
[2009-03-10 21:23:18] <KTC> LawWorks (AT) then if there's nothing else
[2009-03-10 21:23:36] <AndrewRT> I'd like to keep that in the back pocket in case we have problems with charity status
[2009-03-10 21:23:43] <AndrewRT> is that all right?
[2009-03-10 21:23:56] <AndrewRT> that's when some legal advice would come in real handy!
[2009-03-10 21:24:18] <AndrewRT> [21:22]	<Tango42>	Oh, I was going to ask if WMUK might be able to cover travel within the UK? (ie. getting to the airports)
[2009-03-10 21:24:19] <AndrewRT> [21:22]	<Tango42>	£8 for Mike, about £40 for me.
[2009-03-10 21:24:29] <AndrewRT> Personally I'm fine with this
[2009-03-10 21:24:35] <AndrewRT> assuming we have the funds
[2009-03-10 21:24:36] <AndrewRT> cfp?
[2009-03-10 21:25:12] <cfp> fine
[2009-03-10 21:25:14] <KTC> ok
[2009-03-10 21:25:23] <Warofdreams> ok, great
[2009-03-10 21:25:46] <AndrewRT> sorry - just to clarify 0 you're saying ok to the travel costs yes?
[2009-03-10 21:25:57] <cfp> yes
[2009-03-10 21:26:02] <AndrewRT> cheers
[2009-03-10 21:26:14] <KTC> Wikimania press releases (AT)
[2009-03-10 21:26:29] <KTC> um, go back
[2009-03-10 21:26:32] <Warofdreams> yes
[2009-03-10 21:26:46] <AndrewRT> huh?
[2009-03-10 21:26:58] <KTC> cfp, ok as in we can afford it as well ?
[2009-03-10 21:27:15] <cfp> well the agm's going to be expensive
[2009-03-10 21:27:16] <AndrewRT> cfp is fine - see his comment in #wikimedia-uk
[2009-03-10 21:27:40] <cfp> we'll be negative after the agm, as we were for our first few months of existence
[2009-03-10 21:27:50] <AndrewRT> oh
[2009-03-10 21:27:56] <Warofdreams> cfp: roughly what are the expected costs for the AGM?
[2009-03-10 21:28:12] <cfp> but the directors have been fine with lending the company money up till now (through unpaid expenses)
[2009-03-10 21:28:16] |<-- LondonStatto has left chat.freenode.net (Client Quit)
[2009-03-10 21:28:19] <Warofdreams> board travel = couple of hundred?
[2009-03-10 21:28:25] <Warofdreams> anything else?
[2009-03-10 21:28:53] <cfp> possibly travel of candidates, at least travel back of those that get elected
[2009-03-10 21:28:56] -->| mpeel_ (n=mpeel@87.115.24.74.plusnet.pcl-ag01.dyn.plus.net) has joined #wikimedia-uk-board
[2009-03-10 21:28:56] =-= Mode #wikimedia-uk-board +v mpeel_  by chanserv
[2009-03-10 21:29:00] <KTC> hello
[2009-03-10 21:29:01] <cfp> so yeah a few hundred.
[2009-03-10 21:29:10] <AndrewRT> Can I mention something now then?
[2009-03-10 21:29:11] =-= Mode #wikimedia-uk-board +v mpeel_  by chanserv
[2009-03-10 21:29:20] <AndrewRT> Our teller has asked if we could cover his travel costs
[2009-03-10 21:29:23] <mpeel_> hi all. Apologies for my tardiness.
[2009-03-10 21:29:37] <cfp> seems reasonable.
[2009-03-10 21:29:40] <Warofdreams> Andrew: I think that's only fair
[2009-03-10 21:29:45] <AndrewRT> Me too
[2009-03-10 21:29:48] <AndrewRT> I'll let him know
[2009-03-10 21:29:58] <KTC> yes
[2009-03-10 21:30:07] <AndrewRT> shoudl I send him a claim form?
[2009-03-10 21:30:15] <KTC> i'm all yes to these expenses request
[2009-03-10 21:30:34] <AndrewRT> ok
[2009-03-10 21:30:37] <KTC> the issue of paying who first with the money we have now is something for the tresurer to deal with :)
[2009-03-10 21:30:42] <cfp> well afterwards would make more sense. is he desperate to get paid?
[2009-03-10 21:30:53] <AndrewRT> no thats fine
[2009-03-10 21:31:06] <AndrewRT> I was just going to send him a copy so he can fill it in when he travels
[2009-03-10 21:31:10] <Warofdreams> do we want to say that new board members' travel home will be paid?  sounds like a potential mess, if they have a return train/coach ticket.
[2009-03-10 21:31:21] <AndrewRT> I don't think we should, personally
[2009-03-10 21:31:38] <AndrewRT> candidates are free t show up or not - Board members are expected
[2009-03-10 21:31:48] <cfp> k
[2009-03-10 21:31:50] <KTC> i'm fine with that
[2009-03-10 21:32:17] <KTC> Warofdreams, mpeel_ ?
[2009-03-10 21:32:36] <mpeel_> sorry; I'm trying to catch up...
[2009-03-10 21:32:39] <Warofdreams> I'm happy with that (presumably the new board could decide to reimburse themselves if they're that broke)
[2009-03-10 21:32:43] <AndrewRT> Hi Mike btw
[2009-03-10 21:32:52] <KTC> <Warofdreams> do we want to say that new board members' travel home will be paid?  sounds like a potential mess, if they have a return train/coach ticket.
[2009-03-10 21:32:52] <KTC> <AndrewRT> I don't think we should, personally
[2009-03-10 21:32:59] <mpeel_> paying for teller's travel: makes sense. I don't think board members, either present or future, should claim personally.
[2009-03-10 21:33:43] <AndrewRT> what about board members organising the AGM, chairing the meeting?
[2009-03-10 21:34:03] <KTC> board members are expected to attend the agm, i don't think we can say that's not expense
[2009-03-10 21:34:17] <Warofdreams> it would be pretty standard to permit board members to claim.  Of course, we might choose not to claim (or we might claim and then make a donation)
[2009-03-10 21:34:24] <KTC> whether we individually decide to claim is different
[2009-03-10 21:34:44] <mpeel_> I'm happy to be overruled with current board members claiming; it won't affect me much either way.
[2009-03-10 21:34:53] <AndrewRT> no indeed!
[2009-03-10 21:34:55] <Warofdreams> bus fare of a couple of quid!
[2009-03-10 21:35:03] <KTC> right, let's move on
[2009-03-10 21:35:07] <KTC> or rather, back
[2009-03-10 21:35:08] <AndrewRT> (we'ev agreed to have it in manc btw)
[2009-03-10 21:35:10] <KTC> to websites
[2009-03-10 21:35:18] <KTC> mpeel_
[2009-03-10 21:35:37] <mpeel_> Bugs are still open; I haven't seen anything happen with them yet.
[2009-03-10 21:35:43] <mpeel_> Will poke the developers about them.
[2009-03-10 21:35:58] <mpeel_> I haven't heard anything from mike godwin about theWMF's domain policy; I also need to chase that.
[2009-03-10 21:36:01] <KTC> can you just remind the meeting (i.e. me) what this was about?
[2009-03-10 21:36:15] <mpeel_> subpages, and disabling the WMF-wide sitenotice.
[2009-03-10 21:36:20] <mpeel_> neither are particularly urgent.
[2009-03-10 21:36:24] <AndrewRT> >> MP has put in requests to enable subpages on the website and disable centralised Wikimedia notices.
[2009-03-10 21:36:30] <AndrewRT> (from mins)
[2009-03-10 21:36:46] <KTC> while we're on website, um, can the chair be made an admin / bur ? 
[2009-03-10 21:36:48] <KTC> :D
[2009-03-10 21:36:50] <AndrewRT> where are we up to on wikimedia.org.uk?
[2009-03-10 21:37:05] <mpeel_> "I haven't heard anything from mike godwin about theWMF's domain policy; I also need to chase that."
[2009-03-10 21:37:27] <mpeel_> I've been holding off requesting the transfer until Mike got back to us about what the WMF's policy on chapters holding domains is.
[2009-03-10 21:37:55] <AndrewRT> ok i c
[2009-03-10 21:38:00] <AndrewRT> makes sense
[2009-03-10 21:38:25] <AndrewRT> KTC - are you not already an admin?
[2009-03-10 21:38:29] <KTC> nope
[2009-03-10 21:38:46] <AndrewRT> I thought all Board Members were - I'm sure I am
[2009-03-10 21:38:47] * KTC look at that "view source" tab
[2009-03-10 21:39:00] <KTC> i'm sure i was absent from a particular meeting
[2009-03-10 21:39:28] <AndrewRT> http://uk.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:ListUsers&group=sysop
[2009-03-10 21:39:34] <AndrewRT> No it seems you aren't
[2009-03-10 21:39:37] <mpeel_> you are now, KTC.
[2009-03-10 21:39:41] <mpeel_> sorry about that
[2009-03-10 21:40:04] <KTC> no problem :)
[2009-03-10 21:40:14] <KTC> Wikimania press releases (AT) ?
[2009-03-10 21:40:22] <AndrewRT> I'm speaking to Seddon about that
[2009-03-10 21:40:28] <Warofdreams> KTC - I think that when the other board members were made admins, you hadn't logged in and thereby created an account
[2009-03-10 21:40:36] <AndrewRT> will report back at next meeting if that's ok
[2009-03-10 21:40:39] <KTC> that as well
[2009-03-10 21:40:42] <KTC> *that was it
[2009-03-10 21:40:57] <KTC> WMF Chapter's Grants (MP)
[2009-03-10 21:41:15] <mpeel_> I put together a proposals page at http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Projects/Proposals
[2009-03-10 21:41:28] <mpeel_> the idea would be that people come up with proposals and put them on there
[2009-03-10 21:41:40] <AndrewRT> only one is mine - Wikipedia Loves Art follow up
[2009-03-10 21:41:40] <mpeel_> then we can put one or two forward to the chapter's grant process if we want
[2009-03-10 21:42:05] <AndrewRT> suggest we wait until someone puts a proposal in that needs funding
[2009-03-10 21:42:06] <mpeel_> we need to encourage people to come up with proposals. any suggestions on how?
[2009-03-10 21:42:18] <AndrewRT> how? At AGM definitely
[2009-03-10 21:42:20] <KTC> mailing list (hmm), agm
[2009-03-10 21:42:36] <mpeel_> the deadline for the funding proposals is 7 april, btw.
[2009-03-10 21:42:50] <AndrewRT> also approach specific people who could be persuaded to run specific projects
[2009-03-10 21:42:58] <AndrewRT> I don't think we'll get anything by 7th April
[2009-03-10 21:43:24] <mpeel_> perhaps not, but it's worth a go.
[2009-03-10 21:43:58] <mpeel_> I tried to make the proposals page more general than just for the WMF grant, so hopefully it can be used as an ongoing thing, either for local funding or any external funding we can find.
[2009-03-10 21:44:34] <AndrewRT> yeah good idea
[2009-03-10 21:44:54] <AndrewRT> we do haev a suggests list already
[2009-03-10 21:45:07] <AndrewRT> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Projects/Ideas
[2009-03-10 21:46:40] <AndrewRT> I like >> Sourcing and digitising public domain works located in the UK (e.g. documents, books, pictures, ...)
[2009-03-10 21:47:21] <KTC> Chapter's selection of WMF board members (AT) ?
[2009-03-10 21:48:27] <AndrewRT> ok I went back to them about this
[2009-03-10 21:48:44] <AndrewRT> you'll recall we wanted to ask them to make the names of candidates public
[2009-03-10 21:48:52] <AndrewRT> so we can ask our members for feedback about theis
[2009-03-10 21:49:01] <AndrewRT> their reply was essentially no
[2009-03-10 21:49:27] <AndrewRT> chapters have already decided that all discussions, nominations and candidates will be confidential
[2009-03-10 21:50:01] <AndrewRT> we are ok to approach our membership to ask them about what kind of attributes we should consider
[2009-03-10 21:50:16] <AndrewRT> e.g. internal vs external; technical vs marketing etc etc
[2009-03-10 21:50:36] <AndrewRT> I sent an email out to the Board with a suggested email to the  list - did everyone get this?
[2009-03-10 21:50:42] <Warofdreams> yes
[2009-03-10 21:50:54] <AndrewRT> does the Board want to do this?
[2009-03-10 21:51:01] <AndrewRT> or is it too late now?
[2009-03-10 21:51:13] <Warofdreams> too late?
[2009-03-10 21:51:34] <Warofdreams> why would it be too late?
[2009-03-10 21:51:46] <AndrewRT> well, we need to make a decision soon on who we are supporting or before we know it they'll have selected someone without us
[2009-03-10 21:52:05] <mpeel_> can I suggest we go in camera and discuss this?
[2009-03-10 21:52:10] <KTC> soon as in how soon?
[2009-03-10 21:52:10] <AndrewRT> sure
[2009-03-10 21:52:14] <AndrewRT> haha
[2009-03-10 21:52:21] <AndrewRT> good q - no idea
[2009-03-10 21:53:02] <mpeel_> "Tango42: I request an invite to this in camera meeting - if it comes up in Berlin, I'd like to know what the hell is going on"
[2009-03-10 21:53:07] <mpeel_> I support that proposal.
[2009-03-10 21:53:41] <Warofdreams> makes sense to me
[2009-03-10 21:53:53] <--| KTC has left #wikimedia-uk-board ("Leaving")
[2009-03-10 21:54:17] <Warofdreams> could you invite me to a channel I can access, please?
[2009-03-10 22:30:49] -->| KTC (n=KTC@wikipedia/KTC) has joined #wikimedia-uk-board
[2009-03-10 22:30:50] =-= Mode #wikimedia-uk-board +v KTC  by chanserv
[2009-03-10 22:31:03] <KTC> hmm, when did i leave this channel
[2009-03-10 22:31:23] <AndrewRT> 21:52 ;)
[2009-03-10 22:32:24] <KTC> * Loaded log from Tue Mar 10 21:52:26 2009 - i noticed :P
[2009-03-10 23:07:49] * KTC waves
[2009-03-10 23:08:25] <mpeel_> where are we on the agenda?
[2009-03-10 23:09:08] <Warofdreams> up to 4. Newsletter (MC)
[2009-03-10 23:09:11] <KTC> Newsletter (MC)
[2009-03-10 23:10:02] <Warofdreams> thanks to Andrew for contributing already; this will need some updating in the light of this meeting
[2009-03-10 23:10:38] <AndrewRT> yes
[2009-03-10 23:10:45] <AndrewRT> deadline for getting out is?
[2009-03-10 23:10:51] <Warofdreams> we also need volunteers to write chapter formation process, Oxford Wikimania bid, Wikimania Loves Art, and News Coverage
[2009-03-10 23:10:53] <AndrewRT> Next Mondat?
[2009-03-10 23:10:59] <Warofdreams> I'm doing news coverage
[2009-03-10 23:11:05] <AndrewRT> I'll take WLA
[2009-03-10 23:11:06] <Warofdreams> Andrew: yes, next Monday
[2009-03-10 23:11:15] <AndrewRT> I've asked for some stats already - should be out by then
[2009-03-10 23:11:16] <mpeel_> I can probably do chapter formation
[2009-03-10 23:11:19] <Warofdreams> Andrew: great, will do
[2009-03-10 23:11:24] <Warofdreams> mpeel: great, thanks
[2009-03-10 23:11:34] <Warofdreams> anyone for Oxford Wikimania bid?
[2009-03-10 23:11:48] <mpeel_> cfp? or perhaps seddon?
[2009-03-10 23:13:27] <AndrewRT> mpeel_ what's going to be in chapter formation?
[2009-03-10 23:13:48] <Warofdreams> ok, Seddon has kindly volunteered to write the Wikimania bid section
[2009-03-10 23:14:04] <AndrewRT> excellent!
[2009-03-10 23:14:17] <AndrewRT> will the newsletter go out after the winning bid is announced?
[2009-03-10 23:14:27] <KTC> winning bid ?
[2009-03-10 23:14:34] <AndrewRT> for Wikimania
[2009-03-10 23:14:49] <KTC> it's nowhere near decision for that, no?
[2009-03-10 23:15:01] <Warofdreams> no, that'll be mid-April at the earliest
[2009-03-10 23:15:07] <AndrewRT> sorry I'm getting confused - April 16
[2009-03-10 23:15:13] <AndrewRT> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2010
[2009-03-10 23:15:18] <AndrewRT> that's fine then
[2009-03-10 23:16:01] -->| mpeel__ (n=mpeel@87.113.3.88.plusnet.pte-ag1.dyn.plus.net) has joined #wikimedia-uk-board
[2009-03-10 23:16:10] <AndrewRT> hi mike
[2009-03-10 23:16:27] <AndrewRT> anything else on newsletter?
[2009-03-10 23:16:39] =-= Mode #wikimedia-uk-board +v mpeel__  by chanserv
[2009-03-10 23:16:45] <KTC> hi mike
[2009-03-10 23:16:45] <mpeel__> hi
[2009-03-10 23:16:47] <mpeel__> sorry; connection dropped out.
[2009-03-10 23:17:17] <mpeel__> hi; sorry, connection dropped out.
[2009-03-10 23:17:18] <Warofdreams> nothing from me
[2009-03-10 23:17:22] <AndrewRT> its getting late and responses are getting longer - what are we going to do?
[2009-03-10 23:17:35] <AndrewRT> stay and finish or call it a night?
[2009-03-10 23:17:50] |<-- mpeel_ has left chat.freenode.net (Nick collision from services.)
[2009-03-10 23:17:56] |<-- mpeel__ has left chat.freenode.net (Client Quit)
[2009-03-10 23:18:07] <Warofdreams> what else on the agenda do we need to cover tonight?
[2009-03-10 23:18:10] -->| mpeel_ (n=mpeel@87.113.3.88.plusnet.pte-ag1.dyn.plus.net) has joined #wikimedia-uk-board
[2009-03-10 23:18:10] =-= Mode #wikimedia-uk-board +v mpeel_  by chanserv
[2009-03-10 23:18:19] <AndrewRT> do we want to send the AGM notice out now?
[2009-03-10 23:18:30] <mpeel> I'd like to raise something under membership, but that won't take long.
[2009-03-10 23:18:41] <KTC> let's speed through in summary speed
[2009-03-10 23:18:55] <KTC> Treasurer's Report (TH) 
[2009-03-10 23:18:59] <KTC> cfp, a quick summary ?
[2009-03-10 23:19:08] <cfp> bank account open
[2009-03-10 23:19:11] <cfp> have stationary
[2009-03-10 23:19:20] <AndrewRT> cheques all in now
[2009-03-10 23:19:22] <AndrewRT> ?
[2009-03-10 23:19:24] <cfp> will send paying in book to mpeel, possibly request a second
[2009-03-10 23:19:31] <cfp> balance £286 last time i checked
[2009-03-10 23:19:36] <mpeel_> can you see details of the transactions yet?
[2009-03-10 23:19:44] <Warofdreams> will pay my membership in this week
[2009-03-10 23:20:10] <cfp> no. will phone them to complain
[2009-03-10 23:20:13] <cfp> just double checked.
[2009-03-10 23:20:16] <AndrewRT> expenses?
[2009-03-10 23:20:18] <mpeel_> ok, thanks
[2009-03-10 23:20:23] <cfp> i've requested a statement as well
[2009-03-10 23:20:31] <cfp> which i'll send a copy of on to paypal
[2009-03-10 23:20:40] <mpeel_> we need to know whether all of the cheques have cleared so that we can approve members.
[2009-03-10 23:20:51] <cfp> yeah sure.
[2009-03-10 23:21:07] <cfp> i'm assuming they all have as the number's what you'd expect. but you're right we need to be sure.
[2009-03-10 23:21:58] <AndrewRT> what the plan for paying expenses?
[2009-03-10 23:22:02] <cfp> haven't started the accounts yet. i'll either do them in the next week, or the week after the 20th when i'm next seeing my supervisor
[2009-03-10 23:22:12] <cfp> sign all docs and formally approve at agm
[2009-03-10 23:22:17] <cfp> pay after.
[2009-03-10 23:22:27] <KTC> fine 
[2009-03-10 23:22:27] <cfp> via bank transfer
[2009-03-10 23:22:30] <AndrewRT> huh? what needs signing?
[2009-03-10 23:23:07] <cfp> expense claim forms. perhaps not strictly necessary
[2009-03-10 23:23:19] <cfp> but a worthwhile motion
[2009-03-10 23:23:22] <AndrewRT> we've already agreed delegated authorities for this
[2009-03-10 23:23:25] <AndrewRT> not at all 
[2009-03-10 23:23:31] <AndrewRT> completely inappropriate for an AGM
[2009-03-10 23:23:45] <KTC> not as part of agm, but as people will be there physically for agm
[2009-03-10 23:23:45] <AndrewRT> expenses are approved by the directors, not members
[2009-03-10 23:23:57] <cfp> yes what ktc said
[2009-03-10 23:24:07] <cfp> it's just the first time we're all in the same room.
[2009-03-10 23:24:08] <AndrewRT> in fact they're approved by the Treasury plus Chair
[2009-03-10 23:24:27] <AndrewRT> why cant you write the cheques and post them to KTC?
[2009-03-10 23:24:27] <KTC> yeah, i can't sign a form that's not in front of me ;)
[2009-03-10 23:25:01] <mpeel_> anything else here?
[2009-03-10 23:25:17] <KTC> i'm happy wait or not.
[2009-03-10 23:25:21] <KTC> we can move on otherwise
[2009-03-10 23:25:33] <cfp> i could but what would be the point? it's just wasting money on stamps
[2009-03-10 23:25:34] <AndrewRT> WarofDreams?
[2009-03-10 23:25:50] <mpeel_> methinks we're best off waiting, unless there's an urgent demand for expenses to be repaid to anyone.
[2009-03-10 23:26:06] <AndrewRT> I don't want to have annual payment of expenses
[2009-03-10 23:26:15] <AndrewRT> lets get used to doing it by post
[2009-03-10 23:26:22] <AndrewRT> because we'll have to do that in future
[2009-03-10 23:26:56] <KTC> okay
[2009-03-10 23:26:57] <mpeel_> there's no guarantee that we'll still be "we" after the agm.
[2009-03-10 23:27:08] <KTC> u ok to post it cfp?
[2009-03-10 23:27:11] <KTC> um, u got my address?
[2009-03-10 23:27:19] <cfp> fine.
[2009-03-10 23:27:25] <cfp> it won't just be ktc
[2009-03-10 23:27:43] <cfp> my expenses have to be signed by someone other than me (or that was what we agreed)
[2009-03-10 23:27:46] <cfp> and the same with ktc
[2009-03-10 23:28:18] <KTC> make that, u got *our* address somewhere ?
[2009-03-10 23:28:30] <cfp> yeah on the application form
[2009-03-10 23:28:36] <cfp> unless anyone's moved
[2009-03-10 23:29:01] <AndrewRT> Looking at your expense form, all claims under £100 can be signed off by you alone
[2009-03-10 23:29:07] <AndrewRT> unless I'm misreading it
[2009-03-10 23:29:43] <AndrewRT> but presumably teh cheques themselves need more than one signatory
[2009-03-10 23:29:57] <cfp> all cheques need to be signed by me and andrew
[2009-03-10 23:30:23] <AndrewRT> oh yeah forgot KTC wasn't a signatory
[2009-03-10 23:30:33] <KTC> whoever
[2009-03-10 23:30:33] <AndrewRT> ok this time round, maybe its best to do it at the AGM
[2009-03-10 23:30:45] <AndrewRT> but in future we need to have a proper system in place
[2009-03-10 23:30:51] <AndrewRT> so we can do it by post
[2009-03-10 23:31:00] <cfp> sure.
[2009-03-10 23:31:01] <KTC> ok, let's move on
[2009-03-10 23:31:06] * KTC jump the room forward to 9. Wikimania bid
[2009-03-10 23:31:13] =-= Mode #wikimedia-uk-board +v Seddon  by chanserv
[2009-03-10 23:31:25] <Seddon> Hello ok ill keep this brief
[2009-03-10 23:31:54] <Seddon> bids have been finalised as being amsterdam, gdansk, philidelphia, and the best Oxford
[2009-03-10 23:32:00] <Seddon> no more will be accepted
[2009-03-10 23:32:01] <AndrewRT> )
[2009-03-10 23:32:03] <AndrewRT> :)
[2009-03-10 23:32:24] <Seddon> bid page is going well, still needs work
[2009-03-10 23:32:43] <Seddon> the happiest piece of news that i wish to report is that BT will be sponsoring the bid
[2009-03-10 23:32:57] <AndrewRT> excellent!
[2009-03-10 23:32:59] <KTC> :)
[2009-03-10 23:33:07] <Seddon> and i have been informed that Dow Jones will also be sponsoring the bid
[2009-03-10 23:33:35] <mpeel_> great
[2009-03-10 23:33:41] <Seddon> Negotiations with BT begin tomorrow
[2009-03-10 23:34:08] <Seddon> I have to pass on my contact details to Dow Jones so i imagine that will start later in the week
[2009-03-10 23:34:12] <Warofdreams> good news :)
[2009-03-10 23:34:26] <mpeel_> have they agreed to anything specific yet, or does that come with the negotiations?
[2009-03-10 23:34:37] <Seddon> that will come with the negotiations 
[2009-03-10 23:35:05] <KTC> anything else ?
[2009-03-10 23:35:24] <Seddon> i think thats all 
[2009-03-10 23:35:30] <KTC> thanks seddon
[2009-03-10 23:35:34] <Seddon> meeting will be same time next week
[2009-03-10 23:35:37] <AndrewRT> cheers!
[2009-03-10 23:35:44] * KTC jump everyone back to 6. # Secretary's Report (AT)
[2009-03-10 23:35:57] =-= Mode #wikimedia-uk-board -v Seddon  by chanserv
[2009-03-10 23:35:58] <AndrewRT> nothing from me in addition to what I've already reported
[2009-03-10 23:36:05] <KTC> # Membership Report (MP)
[2009-03-10 23:36:11] <mpeel_> One more membership application received
[2009-03-10 23:36:17] <mpeel_> can we go into camera for a very short while?
[2009-03-10 23:36:22] <AndrewRT> sure
[2009-03-10 23:36:28] <AndrewRT> channel?
[2009-03-10 23:36:34] <KTC> the first one will be fine
[2009-03-10 23:37:10] <AndrewRT> its set to invite only
[2009-03-10 23:37:20] <KTC> invite urself
[2009-03-10 23:37:24] <KTC> of i'm doing it
[2009-03-10 23:39:01] <KTC> Warofdreams?
[2009-03-10 23:39:31] <Warofdreams> I'm already in there - you're talking about where we met in camera recently?
[2009-03-10 23:39:38] <KTC> no
[2009-03-10 23:39:42] <KTC> look at ur invite
[2009-03-10 23:39:48] <KTC> * You've invited Warofdreams to #wikimedia-uk-board-private (barjavel.freenode.net)
[2009-03-10 23:39:50] <AndrewRT> the first toom
[2009-03-10 23:39:54] <AndrewRT> _room_
[2009-03-10 23:40:35] <Warofdreams> thanks, but that's the first I've seen of that invite
[2009-03-10 23:43:43] <AndrewRT> back in the room
[2009-03-10 23:43:49] <AndrewRT> summary for the minutes?
[2009-03-10 23:44:03] <AndrewRT> one new applicant approved subject to cheque clearing
[2009-03-10 23:44:19] <mpeel_> erm... yes, what AndrewRT just said. :)
[2009-03-10 23:44:44] <AndrewRT> anything else on membership
[2009-03-10 23:44:45] <AndrewRT> ?
[2009-03-10 23:44:49] <mpeel_> nothing more with membership.
[2009-03-10 23:44:58] <AndrewRT> coudl I raise one thing?
[2009-03-10 23:45:03] <KTC> k
[2009-03-10 23:45:06] <mpeel_> go for it
[2009-03-10 23:45:12] <AndrewRT> I know its late
[2009-03-10 23:45:22] <AndrewRT> could we think about what we can do to encourage people to sign up
[2009-03-10 23:45:28] <AndrewRT> in time for the AGM
[2009-03-10 23:45:47] <AndrewRT> How many members do we have at the moment?
[2009-03-10 23:45:56] <mpeel_> 5
[2009-03-10 23:45:56] <AndrewRT> 17?
[2009-03-10 23:45:59] <KTC> including those that have approved pending cheques
[2009-03-10 23:46:01] <mpeel_> 12 applications have been received.
[2009-03-10 23:46:10] <mpeel_> and approved by the board, all pending acceptance.
[2009-03-10 23:46:17] <AndrewRT> I suggest a good target would be 30
[2009-03-10 23:46:31] <mpeel_> there are several options.
[2009-03-10 23:46:36] <AndrewRT> given that 40 people signed up on teh "interested in joining" section all those moons ago
[2009-03-10 23:46:40] <mpeel_> take membersihp application forms along to wikimeets
[2009-03-10 23:46:56] <mpeel_> spam anyone that's UK-based on their en.wp user talk pages
[2009-03-10 23:47:15] <mpeel_> nag those in the other irc channel that have yet to submit their applications
[2009-03-10 23:47:41] <mpeel_> I'd rather that we had accepted membership applications before doing that, though.
[2009-03-10 23:47:50] <mpeel_> i.e. the next step along from where we are now.
[2009-03-10 23:48:05] <mpeel_> (except for the third option, of course)
[2009-03-10 23:48:12] <AndrewRT> you mean after we've confirmed the cheques have cleared?
[2009-03-10 23:48:19] <mpeel_> yup
[2009-03-10 23:49:44] <AndrewRT> coudl we set up a page on the wiki
[2009-03-10 23:50:09] <AndrewRT> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Membership/Drive or something
[2009-03-10 23:50:18] <AndrewRT> to coordinate effrots here
[2009-03-10 23:50:21] <KTC> ok
[2009-03-10 23:50:22] <AndrewRT> get ideas about what to do
[2009-03-10 23:50:24] <mpeel_> sure
[2009-03-10 23:50:28] <AndrewRT> thanks
[2009-03-10 23:51:01] <AndrewRT> ok that was all from me on membership
[2009-03-10 23:51:05] <AndrewRT> KTC?
[2009-03-10 23:51:12] <KTC> next
[2009-03-10 23:51:22] <KTC> let's skip timetable this week
[2009-03-10 23:51:28] <KTC> Open Knowledge Conference - WMUK representative (AT)
[2009-03-10 23:51:38] <AndrewRT> http://groups.google.com/group/wmf-wikimediauk-l/browse_thread/thread/e143903cc011a8ab#
[2009-03-10 23:51:49] <AndrewRT> Conference on 28th March
[2009-03-10 23:51:58] <AndrewRT> good if someone could go to represent WMUK
[2009-03-10 23:51:59] <mpeel_> AndrewRT: membership drive page now exists.
[2009-03-10 23:52:10] <AndrewRT> Tango42 had volunteered
[2009-03-10 23:52:18] <AndrewRT> mpeel_ - cheers!
[2009-03-10 23:53:29] <AndrewRT> Tango42>	I'd rather not go alone, though... I'm not particularly interested in it, I just think we ought to be there
[2009-03-10 23:53:41] <AndrewRT> anyone else able & willing to go?
[2009-03-10 23:53:52] <AndrewRT> I cant unfortunately - sounds interestign though
[2009-03-10 23:54:07] <Tango42> we have loads of london people
[2009-03-10 23:54:08] === #wikimedia-uk-board Cannot send to channel
[2009-03-10 23:54:09] <mpeel_> sorry; am in the lake district that weekend.
[2009-03-10 23:54:13] <KTC> let me look at that date again
[2009-03-10 23:54:21] <AndrewRT> WarofDreams? cfp?
[2009-03-10 23:54:41] <Warofdreams> have to be at a tutorial in Leeds that day
[2009-03-10 23:54:54] <KTC> saturday, hmm
[2009-03-10 23:55:12] * KTC check train
[2009-03-10 23:55:22] <AndrewRT> I suggest KTC and Tango then
[2009-03-10 23:55:30] <AndrewRT> be asked to go & represent WMUK
[2009-03-10 23:55:34] <AndrewRT> and report back!
[2009-03-10 23:55:51] <AndrewRT> along with anyone else they can corral
[2009-03-10 23:56:03] <mpeel_> can either of you be persuaded to give a short talk on WMUK?
[2009-03-10 23:57:38] <AndrewRT> KTC can you go?
[2009-03-10 23:57:44] <KTC> sec
[2009-03-10 23:58:36] <KTC> i'll say yes, provisonally
[2009-03-10 23:58:42] <KTC> have to double check 
[2009-03-10 23:58:47] <KTC> a couple of things
[2009-03-10 23:59:12] <KTC> i'll have to claim expense on that travel tho if i were to go
[2009-03-10 23:59:54] <KTC> mines £60 train it looks like if i book early enough
[2009-03-11 00:00:13] <AndrewRT> cfp can we afford £90 to send people to this conference?
[2009-03-11 00:00:16] <KTC> and don't miss the train...
[2009-03-11 00:00:23] <AndrewRT> personally I'd think it's probably worthwhile
[2009-03-11 00:00:42] <mpeel_> we need to do some fundraising...
[2009-03-11 00:01:03] <KTC> i don't think we have that much money at the moment, it's a question of when does people want the expense back
[2009-03-11 00:01:09] <AndrewRT> I'm assured there are some big cheques, just waiting to be written
[2009-03-11 00:01:24] <mpeel_> you are?
[2009-03-11 00:01:31] <mpeel_> what are the benefits to WMUK being represented at the conference? Do they justify £90?
[2009-03-11 00:01:54] <AndrewRT> The Open Knowledge Conference (OKCon) is back for its fourth installment
[2009-03-11 00:01:54] <AndrewRT> bringing together individuals and groups from across the open knowledge
[2009-03-11 00:01:56] <AndrewRT> spectrum for a day of talks, discussions and workshops.
[2009-03-11 00:02:11] <AndrewRT> benefits are networking - see what other people are doing
[2009-03-11 00:02:15] <AndrewRT> work out how we can collaborate
[2009-03-11 00:02:40] <KTC> um, on that cost issue
[2009-03-11 00:02:47] <AndrewRT> yep?
[2009-03-11 00:02:48] <KTC> "An attendance fee of £15 is charged to cover costs. However, concessions are available if the fee is problematic - just get in touch."
[2009-03-11 00:02:59] <AndrewRT> ok, so now its £120
[2009-03-11 00:03:13] <AndrewRT> or to put it another way, 10 members
[2009-03-11 00:03:30] <mpeel_> we should ask for a concession, see what discount they can give...
[2009-03-11 00:03:34] <AndrewRT> what do people think? Good use of our money?
[2009-03-11 00:04:03] <AndrewRT> cfp?
[2009-03-11 00:05:42] <--| Seddon has left #wikimedia-uk-board
[2009-03-11 00:05:49] -->| Seddon (n=chatzill@Wikimedia/Seddon) has joined #wikimedia-uk-board
[2009-03-11 00:05:55] <cfp> sorry was afk
[2009-03-11 00:06:15] <cfp> seems like quite a bit of money
[2009-03-11 00:06:28] <cfp> i don't know enough about it
[2009-03-11 00:06:53] <Warofdreams> that sounds far too much - seems to me this is a "nice to have" rather than an essential, and £120 is a lot of money for us at the moment
[2009-03-11 00:07:17] <KTC> £45 ?
[2009-03-11 00:07:20] <KTC> for tango say ?
[2009-03-11 00:07:45] <AndrewRT> he wasn't keen on going on his own
[2009-03-11 00:07:54] <KTC> ok. hmm
[2009-03-11 00:08:04] <AndrewRT> thinking about it, I agree with cfp, Warofdreams - too much to be spending at the moment
[2009-03-11 00:08:08] <KTC> shall we say no for this year, but note it for next year ?
[2009-03-11 00:08:13] <cfp> it doesn't sound like it'd be that geared towards us. unless we were actually presenting
[2009-03-11 00:08:19] <cfp> isn't it more for businesses?
[2009-03-11 00:08:37] <AndrewRT> yeah, maybe next year!
[2009-03-11 00:08:48] <AndrewRT> is it? oh, even mroe reason to say no then
[2009-03-11 00:09:09] <KTC> right, one last thing before i'll call it a close
[2009-03-11 00:09:12] <cfp> i could go if tango was desperate for company
[2009-03-11 00:09:14] <KTC> seeing the time
[2009-03-11 00:09:23] <cfp> it's only £15 return or something for me.
[2009-03-11 00:09:35] <cfp> not desperate though (or even remotely keen)
[2009-03-11 00:09:36] <KTC> that's £75
[2009-03-11 00:09:40] <AndrewRT> he wanted his travel paying as well
[2009-03-11 00:10:01] <cfp> ok. i'm certainly happy to give it a miss.
[2009-03-11 00:10:40] <AndrewRT> yes KTC?
[2009-03-11 00:10:46] <KTC> AGM - notice, yes or no to sending it now ?
[2009-03-11 00:11:04] <cfp> doesn't it have to give the location?
[2009-03-11 00:11:31] <AndrewRT> We'll have to say Manchester University - details to be sent closer to the time
[2009-03-11 00:11:45] <AndrewRT> AGM needs 28 days notice
[2009-03-11 00:11:50] <AndrewRT> Room booking needs 28 days
[2009-03-11 00:12:03] <KTC> i'm for giving a longer notice
[2009-03-11 00:12:21] <KTC> so i say send it noting exact location TBC
[2009-03-11 00:12:22] <AndrewRT> _at least_ I mean
[2009-03-11 00:12:40] <Warofdreams> we're not going to have any more details before the deadline for sending notice, so let's send it now
[2009-03-11 00:12:48] <mpeel_> erm... who does it get sent to?
[2009-03-11 00:12:54] <AndrewRT> all members
[2009-03-11 00:12:57] <KTC> oh
[2009-03-11 00:12:58] <AndrewRT> all directors
[2009-03-11 00:12:59] <mpeel_> all 5 of us?
[2009-03-11 00:12:59] <KTC> good point
[2009-03-11 00:13:04] <AndrewRT> that's the one
[2009-03-11 00:13:06] <AndrewRT> !
[2009-03-11 00:13:13] <AndrewRT> I was planning to send it to teh list and wiki also
[2009-03-11 00:13:21] <AndrewRT> and send it to members as they are approved
[2009-03-11 00:13:23] <KTC> we can wait till next week when we know the payments for members have cleared
[2009-03-11 00:13:26] <mpeel_> I think we can safely put this off by a week, until we have more members.
[2009-03-11 00:13:47] <KTC> that's fine by me
[2009-03-11 00:13:55] <AndrewRT> includeed in the notice is an invitation for candidates
[2009-03-11 00:13:57] <mpeel_> btw, should I approve members as soon as we have that confirmation, or should I bring the decision back to this meeting first?
[2009-03-11 00:14:22] <mpeel_> if the former, then we could start sending around the notice now, and I could attach a copy with my email about the acceptance of their membership applications...
[2009-03-11 00:14:36] <AndrewRT> mpeel_ - I understood we were approving subject to cleared cheques
[2009-03-11 00:14:41] <KTC> so former
[2009-03-11 00:14:49] <KTC> i'm happy either way
[2009-03-11 00:14:49] <mpeel_> that was my understanding; I just wanted to confirm that.
[2009-03-11 00:14:50] <AndrewRT> hence no need for an additional board decision once the cheques are confirmed
[2009-03-11 00:14:57] <KTC> let's vote and get this over with
[2009-03-11 00:14:59] <KTC> and sleep
[2009-03-11 00:15:05] <KTC> notice this week or next ?
[2009-03-11 00:15:12] <AndrewRT> thsi
[2009-03-11 00:15:15] <KTC> AndrewRT, cfp , mpeel_, Warofdreams 
[2009-03-11 00:15:29] <Warofdreams> let's send it now
[2009-03-11 00:16:07] <KTC> mpeel_, cfp?
[2009-03-11 00:16:29] <mpeel_> I'd like to discuss some elements of the notice, preferably when we're all more awake.
[2009-03-11 00:16:45] <AndrewRT> ok, next week then?
[2009-03-11 00:16:51] <KTC> ok
[2009-03-11 00:16:56] <KTC> it won't kill us
[2009-03-11 00:16:59] <KTC> next week it is then
[2009-03-11 00:17:02] <AndrewRT> mpeel_ - do you want to raise on the wiki or mailing list or privately?
[2009-03-11 00:17:08] <AndrewRT> in teh meantime?
[2009-03-11 00:17:09] <mpeel_> examples: what happens if resolution 3 is rejected? should we have a friends scheme thing?
[2009-03-11 00:17:19] <mpeel_> ok, will try to raise on-wiki.
[2009-03-11 00:17:23] <AndrewRT> thanks
[2009-03-11 00:17:33] <KTC> can u note it in an email as well
[2009-03-11 00:17:37] <mpeel_> sure
[2009-03-11 00:17:43] <KTC> right, let's call it a day / night
[2009-03-11 00:17:47] <KTC> next meeting next monday
[2009-03-11 00:17:57] <KTC> thanks everyone for their patience
[2009-03-11 00:18:09] <cfp> sorry for being not particularly active
[2009-03-11 00:18:12] <AndrewRT> cheers!

#wikimedia-uk

[2009-03-10 20:32:41] <Warofdreams> The board meeting is now about to start in #wikimedia-uk-board
[2009-03-10 20:33:15] <Seddon> if there is anyone not in #wikimania-oxford, you should join
[2009-03-10 20:35:05] <Tango42> cfp>	i'm marking tonight i'm afraid so i can't be here properly
[2009-03-10 20:35:13] <Tango42> said in the wikimania channel
[2009-03-10 20:40:18] <LondonStatto> Far too kind, guys ;)
[2009-03-10 20:40:27] <Tango42> One teller really isn't ideal, however good they may be at the job
[2009-03-10 20:41:27] <LondonStatto> There are ups and downs
[2009-03-10 20:41:43] <LondonStatto> if you have two, it risks people leaving stuff to each other, and it never getting done
[2009-03-10 20:41:58] <AndrewRT> Board meeting has started in #wikimedia-uk-board - welcoem to join us there
[2009-03-10 20:42:02] <Seddon> two should bbe present
[2009-03-10 20:42:02] <AndrewRT> Board meeting has started in #wikimedia-uk-board - welcoem to join us there
[2009-03-10 20:42:09] <Seddon> to back each other up
[2009-03-10 20:42:13] <Tango42> Counting votes really needs to be done by two people
[2009-03-10 20:42:13] <Seddon> be*
[2009-03-10 20:42:33] <Tango42> A board member that isn't standing for re-election could do it, if necessary
[2009-03-10 20:42:37] <cfp> for the board: i won't be following actively as my markings been forced to the last minute by the teacher not releasing the answers till 6pm tonight. if you need me urgently, pm me.
[2009-03-10 20:43:03] <LondonStatto> right
[2009-03-10 20:43:33] <LondonStatto> in the event that the votes were close, i'd always ask a non-involved individual to check my numbers 
[2009-03-10 20:44:26] <Seddon> i feel strongly about having two tellers at least
[2009-03-10 20:44:33] <Tango42> me too
[2009-03-10 20:44:44] <Seddon> nothing bad against you james but this is real shit now and we can do half measures
[2009-03-10 20:44:47] <Seddon> cant*
[2009-03-10 20:45:31] <LondonStatto> the problem is, AIUI we don't have any other volunteers
[2009-03-10 20:46:05] <LondonStatto> i don't have a problem with being one of two, clearly - or i would have turned it down when it was offered to me & sarah
[2009-03-10 20:46:37] <Warofdreams> thanks for volunteering, and for being flexible
[2009-03-10 20:47:04] <Tango42> Then we'll just have to volunteer somebody
[2009-03-10 20:49:52] <AndrewRT> such as?
[2009-03-10 20:50:08] <LondonStatto> On room booking: just make damn sure Sarah gets along on the 28th day before (well, presumably 27th if we're aiming for a Sunday)
[2009-03-10 20:50:54] <AndrewRT> yes good point!
[2009-03-10 20:51:40] |<-- Thehelpfulone has left chat.freenode.net (Nick collision from services.)
[2009-03-10 20:51:40] <LondonStatto> I don't know the situation at Mcr, obviously, but in my IC days it was not uncommon to see a queue of five students at 9am on a Monday trying to book rooms!
[2009-03-10 20:52:29] <Warofdreams> Luckily, the exact room we get isn't important, as long as it's a suitable size and condition
[2009-03-10 20:52:36] <cormaggio> yep, I can look into other options in MCR - Friend's Meeting House is often available, central, and good
[2009-03-10 20:52:36] <Majorly> hm
[2009-03-10 20:53:04] * Majorly is @ MMU, I dunno if there's any good rooms on/near the campus though
[2009-03-10 20:53:23] <Tango42> The mailing list seemed pretty strongly in favour of a pub in b'ham
[2009-03-10 20:53:38] <Majorly> a pub does seem very informal
[2009-03-10 20:54:04] <AndrewRT> I think only about three people expressed an opinion about a pub
[2009-03-10 20:54:05] <Tango42> a function room in a pub is a fairly standard place to organisations like ours to hold general meetings
[2009-03-10 20:58:38] <Tango42> How many pubs do you know that don't let under-18's in during the afternoon?
[2009-03-10 20:58:56] <Tango42> I know, perhaps, 1 or 2
[2009-03-10 20:59:01] <LondonStatto> especially if there's an arranged meeting in a function room? shouldn't be a problem
[2009-03-10 21:00:11] <Tango42> yeah, exactly - they'll be with adults
[2009-03-10 21:00:39] <Tango42> under 14's may not be allowed up to the bar (I can't remember the rule), but we won't hold the meeting at the bar
[2009-03-10 21:01:37] <Tango42> some pubs don't let under-18's buy drinks, even soft drinks (I've only encountered that once - they claimed it was the law, but I'm sceptical), but if they want a drink someone else can buy it
[2009-03-10 21:02:05] <KTC> it depends on licnese and stuff
[2009-03-10 21:02:10] <KTC> so i have no idea
[2009-03-10 21:02:18] <Majorly> Tango42: obviously pick another pub
[2009-03-10 21:02:33] <cormaggio> well, Gordo's pub in Borough (London) worked great in the past - but he knew the owner, and hence got it for free
[2009-03-10 21:03:19] <Majorly> and it's in london
[2009-03-10 21:03:48] -->| Reedy (n=Reedy@wikimedia/Reedy) has joined #wikimedia-uk
[2009-03-10 21:05:01] <Tango42> It may be possible to get it for free in b'ham, I don't think anybody has asked yet
[2009-03-10 21:06:08] <Majorly> AndrewRT: we already did a vote
[2009-03-10 21:06:25] <Tango42> In future years, we'll do all sorts of fun stuff at AGMs - this year is about getting it organised quickly and efficiently and getting on with electing board that will take us forward
[2009-03-10 21:06:25] <AndrewRT> hmm
[2009-03-10 21:06:29] <KTC> yes, but then we couldn't find a room
[2009-03-10 21:06:38] <AndrewRT> the vote said "Bham if we can find a place, Mcr otherwise"
[2009-03-10 21:06:47] <AndrewRT> not sure this is inconsistent with that previous decision
[2009-03-10 21:07:00] <KTC> the board can always change its mind
[2009-03-10 21:07:01] <cfp> well a pub is a place...
[2009-03-10 21:07:07] <KTC> i just want to get this move on
[2009-03-10 21:07:09] <AndrewRT> yes but we haven't found one!
[2009-03-10 21:07:10] <cfp> but whatever. democracy
[2009-03-10 21:07:20] <cfp> have we looked?
[2009-03-10 21:08:40] <Tango42> nobody has looked for a pub
[2009-03-10 21:08:50] <Tango42> KTC, you are chair, assign somebody the task and move on
[2009-03-10 21:09:12] <KTC> i just asked a question tango, i was waiting for an answer
[2009-03-10 21:09:32] <Warofdreams> does anyone here know any decent pubs in central Birmingham with function rooms?
[2009-03-10 21:09:45] <Tango42> google will know
[2009-03-10 21:14:44] <Tango42> not having a firm venue until 28 days before isn't ideal...
[2009-03-10 21:15:16] <Tango42> however certain you are you can get one, it's also better to have it done. What is Sarah is ill on the day she needs to book it?
[2009-03-10 21:15:38] <Warofdreams> then she can book it the next day
[2009-03-10 21:15:53] <Warofdreams> we just want it booked on the first possible day so we have the venue guaranteed
[2009-03-10 21:16:30] <cormaggio> I'll ring the friend's meeting house tomorrow (sorry I didn't do this before)
[2009-03-10 21:16:44] <Warofdreams> in the highly unlikely event that the booking falls through, we do at least have a board member in the city who can find us an alternative
[2009-03-10 21:16:50] <cormaggio> how many are we thinking of accommodating? 15? 30? 50?
[2009-03-10 21:17:01] <AndrewRT> I've said "Between 10 and 30"
[2009-03-10 21:17:09] <Majorly> not 50
[2009-03-10 21:17:10] <Majorly> lol
[2009-03-10 21:17:11] <cormaggio> ok, that sounds reasonable
[2009-03-10 21:22:25] <Tango42> Mike and I have been in contact with them about funding - everything is fine. Mike has booked his tickets, I'm supposed to be booking mine... um... yesterday!
[2009-03-10 21:22:37] <KTC> :D
[2009-03-10 21:22:47] * KTC push Tango42 towards a computer / travel agent
[2009-03-10 21:23:03] <Tango42> It's ended up costing a little more than we hoped, but it should all be ok
[2009-03-10 21:23:31] <Tango42> Oh, I was going to ask if WMUK might be able to cover travel within the UK? (ie. getting to the airports)
[2009-03-10 21:23:50] <Tango42> £8 for Mike, about £40 for me.
[2009-03-10 21:25:39] <cfp> keep your receipts.
[2009-03-10 21:28:16] |<-- LondonStatto has left chat.freenode.net (Client Quit)
[2009-03-10 21:28:27] <Tango42> of course
[2009-03-10 21:28:56] -->| mpeel_ (n=mpeel@87.115.24.74.plusnet.pcl-ag01.dyn.plus.net) has joined #wikimedia-uk
[2009-03-10 21:29:29] <Tango42> I don't intend to claim for travel to the AGM, regardless of the election result
[2009-03-10 21:29:42] <KTC> *from* the agm ?
[2009-03-10 21:31:41] <Tango42> to and from
[2009-03-10 21:32:08] <KTC> well, look likes you don't have much choice now :D
[2009-03-10 21:32:16] <Tango42> :)
[2009-03-10 21:32:23] <AndrewRT> Hope thats ok Tango42
[2009-03-10 21:32:27] <Tango42> yeah
[2009-03-10 21:32:51] <Tango42> Although, the new board could easily overrule you and claim!
[2009-03-10 21:32:58] <AndrewRT> yeah that's true!
[2009-03-10 21:35:02] <cormaggio> ok, off now - will ring FMH tomorrow and report back on-list
[2009-03-10 21:35:25] |<-- cormaggio has left chat.freenode.net ()
[2009-03-10 21:43:01] <mpeel_> anyone have an idea for a project that they'd like to get started?
[2009-03-10 21:44:19] <Tango42> I have ideas for projects I'd like other people to get started, does that count?
[2009-03-10 21:44:32] <mpeel_> depends on whether you can find someone to head them up. :)
[2009-03-10 21:44:36] <KTC> :D
[2009-03-10 21:44:46] <AndrewRT> What are your ideas Tango42?
[2009-03-10 21:44:55] <Tango42> Going into schools was my main one
[2009-03-10 21:45:01] <mpeel_> it's worth starting a proposal on them anyway, and seeing if other people are interested in joining in.
[2009-03-10 21:45:59] <AndrewRT> Would you mind writing something up at http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Projects/Proposals?
[2009-03-10 21:46:39] <Tango42> Um... yeah, I guess I can - prod me in a few days if I haven't done it
[2009-03-10 21:47:05] <AndrewRT> cheers!
[2009-03-10 21:48:20] <AndrewRT> I've started it for you already ;) http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Projects/Proposals#Schools_project
[2009-03-10 21:48:33] <Tango42> so kind
[2009-03-10 21:50:47] <mpeel_> btw, to prove that I was doing something this evening rather than just being tardy: http://www.mikepeel.net/temp/saturn.jpg
[2009-03-10 21:51:16] <AndrewRT> :0
[2009-03-10 21:51:26] <Seddon> that is actually quite cool
[2009-03-10 21:51:45] <KTC> u could have drew that in photoshop :P
[2009-03-10 21:52:18] * Seddon pokes KTC with a stick
[2009-03-10 21:52:43] <mpeel_> that's 100% genuine extraterrestrial photons. :P
[2009-03-10 21:52:45] <Tango42> I request an invite to this in camera meeting - if it comes up in Berlin, I'd like to know what the hell is going on
[2009-03-10 21:53:01] <AndrewRT> we are currently going in camera - cue shouts of......
[2009-03-10 21:53:06] <AndrewRT> Tango42?
[2009-03-10 21:53:21] <Tango42> Well, I'm hoping to be invited to join the cabal, so...
[2009-03-10 21:54:26] <Seddon> mpeel_: Is that two moons i can see?
[2009-03-10 21:54:43] <mpeel_> Seddon: where?
[2009-03-10 21:55:25] <Seddon> go downwards from the middle of the right half of the ring system
[2009-03-10 21:56:09] <Seddon> faint red dot
[2009-03-10 21:56:14] <Seddon> could just be a star
[2009-03-10 21:56:46] <mpeel_> not sure
[2009-03-10 21:56:56] <mpeel_> there were several moons visible, but they didn't photograph well
[2009-03-10 21:57:33] <Seddon> shame
[2009-03-10 21:57:41] <Tango42> Judging by the delay, it seems the cabal are having a length debate on my initiation, so I guess this warrants it:
[2009-03-10 21:57:46] <Tango42> CABAL! CABAL! CABAL!
[2009-03-10 21:58:07] <Warofdreams> or maybe it's just taking us that long to all end up in the same place
[2009-03-10 21:58:08] <Tango42> either that, or they are an incompant cabal that can't get IRC to do top secret meetings properly
[2009-03-10 21:58:15] <KTC> um, more a delay cause i can't remember how to remove auto-kick-ban from irc channel
[2009-03-10 21:58:31] <Tango42> yeah, I thought it might be the 2nd option...
[2009-03-10 21:58:36] <AndrewRT> we managed to ban Mickey from the private meeting
[2009-03-10 21:58:39] <KTC> so an incomptent cabel chair ;p
[2009-03-10 21:58:39] <AndrewRT> if u must know!
[2009-03-10 21:58:56] <Tango42> isn't it set to invite only? So just invite him...
[2009-03-10 21:59:57] <Tango42> Good job this cabal doesn't have enough money for black helicopters... you would crash them inside of a day!
[2009-03-10 22:00:31] <mpeel_> don't worry: we'd have problems figuring out how to turn them on, so we could never crash them. ;-)
[2009-03-10 22:00:41] <Tango42> Such a relief!
[2009-03-10 22:00:57] <KTC> Tango42, i registered and set it so that only the board member can go in, everyone else get auto-kick/ban
[2009-03-10 22:00:59] <Tango42> Oh, Seddon: That faint red dot - are you sure it isn't a dead pixel?
[2009-03-10 22:01:01] <KTC> Warofdreams isn't identified
[2009-03-10 22:01:10] <Tango42> invite only would work better
[2009-03-10 22:01:22] <KTC> and i can't remember how to unset the setting / *is looking*
[2009-03-10 22:01:31] <Tango42> pick a new channel
[2009-03-10 22:01:48] <KTC> we have
[2009-03-10 22:02:07] <KTC> we're talking about whether to let you into our super sercet cabel :P
[2009-03-10 22:02:38] <Tango42> too late - AndrewRT made a unilateral decision!
[2009-03-10 22:13:24] <Warofdreams> hope you're all making your own entertainment - we'll be back in a bit, but discussions are continuing
[2009-03-10 22:14:12] <KTC> i am, looking at irc restricted channel settings :D
[2009-03-10 22:15:35] <AndrewRT> I'm sure you realise I'd never do such a thing!
[2009-03-10 22:17:26] |<-- J_Milburn has left chat.freenode.net (Success)
[2009-03-10 22:18:07] -->| J_Milburn (n=chatzill@wikipedia/j-milburn) has joined #wikimedia-uk
[2009-03-10 22:19:16] <Seddon> tick 
[2009-03-10 22:19:18] <Seddon> tock
[2009-03-10 22:19:19] <Seddon> tick
[2009-03-10 22:19:21] <Seddon> tock
[2009-03-10 22:19:22] <Seddon> tick
[2009-03-10 22:19:24] <Seddon> tock
[2009-03-10 22:19:25] <Seddon> tick
[2009-03-10 22:19:31] <mpeel_> patience, Seddon
[2009-03-10 22:20:28] * Tango42 has images of robotic aliens in French court dress breaking into the meeting
[2009-03-10 22:25:53] |<-- J_Milburn has left chat.freenode.net ("ChatZilla 0.9.84 [Firefox 3.0.7/2009021910]")
[2009-03-10 22:36:15] * KTC have un-restricted cabal channel and +mlock'ed invite it instead :)
[2009-03-10 22:36:59] * Seddon taps his watch
[2009-03-10 22:38:06] * KTC is only on first of a number of candidates...
[2009-03-10 22:38:17] <KTC> *we are only on...
[2009-03-10 22:39:23] <Tango42> We had some more general discussion first, though, which I think was quite productive
[2009-03-10 22:44:42] <Seddon> this is taking forever :P
[2009-03-10 22:44:50] <KTC> i know...
[2009-03-10 22:45:17] <Tango42> yeah, it's a big decision, though
[2009-03-10 23:05:27] <mpeel_> coming to a finish...
[2009-03-10 23:05:38] <mpeel_> apologies to all for the wait.
[2009-03-10 23:07:40] <Seddon> nearly an hour :P
[2009-03-10 23:12:21] <Warofdreams> Seddon: would you like to write a paragraph or two on the Oxford Wikimania bid for the newsletter?
[2009-03-10 23:13:02] <Seddon> ill try and actually do it this time :)
[2009-03-10 23:13:30] <Warofdreams> great, thanks :)
[2009-03-10 23:14:08] <Warofdreams> the deadline is next Monday, 16th March, but feel free to write it sooner!
[2009-03-10 23:16:01] -->| mpeel__ (n=mpeel@87.113.3.88.plusnet.pte-ag1.dyn.plus.net) has joined #wikimedia-uk
[2009-03-10 23:17:10] <Tango42> We're into lots-of-mikes territory again!
[2009-03-10 23:17:23] <mpeel__> there's only three of me atm... :)
[2009-03-10 23:17:28] <Tango42> Why do you people all have such difficulty maintaining an internet connection?
[2009-03-10 23:17:43] <AndrewRT> I'm fine!
[2009-03-10 23:17:50] |<-- mpeel_ has left chat.freenode.net (Nick collision from services.)
[2009-03-10 23:17:50] <Warofdreams> me too!
[2009-03-10 23:17:56] |<-- mpeel__ has left chat.freenode.net (Client Quit)
[2009-03-10 23:17:59] <Tango42> lol
[2009-03-10 23:18:10] -->| mpeel_ (n=mpeel@87.113.3.88.plusnet.pte-ag1.dyn.plus.net) has joined #wikimedia-uk
[2009-03-10 23:18:17] <Tango42> Down to two...
[2009-03-10 23:19:06] <mpeel_> sorry; am connected with two computers, so that i don't miss anything.
[2009-03-10 23:19:10] <mpeel_> (one computer's always on)
[2009-03-10 23:19:23] <Seddon> Guys if its ok ill cover what i have for wikimania in here?
[2009-03-10 23:19:35] <Tango42> I'm connected with one computer so I don't miss anything... works for me!
[2009-03-10 23:19:58] <KTC> can i jump to u after this bit
[2009-03-10 23:20:01] * mpeel_ blames wireless internet connections - they're always intermittent
[2009-03-10 23:20:09] <KTC> and then u can be off if u need/want
[2009-03-10 23:20:10] <Seddon> KTC ok cool
[2009-03-10 23:20:16] <Seddon> i dont mind
[2009-03-10 23:20:20] <Seddon> ill be up till late
[2009-03-10 23:21:03] <Seddon> well youd know if one cheque bounced cause youd be charged
[2009-03-10 23:21:15] <KTC> um, no?
[2009-03-10 23:21:22] <KTC> well, depending on bank
[2009-03-10 23:21:24] <mpeel_> we wouldn't; the person who wrote the cheque would.
[2009-03-10 23:21:31] <mpeel_> ... depending on why it bounced.
[2009-03-10 23:21:39] <Seddon> mpeel_ it often goes both ways
[2009-03-10 23:21:44] <Tango42> My cheque to you has gone out of my account
[2009-03-10 23:21:54] <Tango42> 05 Mar 09 	PAYMENT MADE BY CHEQUE WITH SERIAL NO 1070 	  	6.00 	
[2009-03-10 23:21:59] <mpeel_> Seddon: weird
[2009-03-10 23:22:33] <Tango42> I've never known anyone get charged for paying in a rubber cheque...
[2009-03-10 23:22:36] <Seddon> mpeel_ its often smaller than the charge the person who sent it gets but its typically about £10
[2009-03-10 23:23:07] <Tango42> that seems rather harsh, seeing as the receiver has no way of knowing the cheque will bounce
[2009-03-10 23:23:31] <mpeel_> especially harsh considering we're a charity
[2009-03-10 23:23:41] <mpeel_> I'm not sure that bank fees count as charitable expenses.
[2009-03-10 23:24:17] <Tango42> they count as admin, that's allowed
[2009-03-10 23:24:27] <Tango42> as long as it is justifiable
[2009-03-10 23:24:44] <Tango42> and it's hard not to justify paying in membership cheques
[2009-03-10 23:29:38] <Tango42> You must be misreading it... it takes 2 people to sign the cheques
[2009-03-10 23:30:03] <AndrewRT> yes you're right - the form just needs one
[2009-03-10 23:30:12] <Tango42> I thought it was that over £100 needed the whole board's approval
[2009-03-10 23:30:20] <Tango42> and less than £100 needs 2 people
[2009-03-10 23:30:25] <Tango42> (other than the one making the claim)
[2009-03-10 23:30:37] <Tango42> what happens if you want to claim exactly £100, I don't know!
[2009-03-10 23:31:59] <cfp> tango's nearly right. the form needs 2 for under 100, 3 for over
[2009-03-10 23:32:01] <Tango42> Can I suggest that all people standing for the board (and, ideally, all current board members) plan to be at the AGM several hours after it finishes? A long initial board meeting would be useful to get everything sorted out.
[2009-03-10 23:32:06] <cfp> cheques always need 2
[2009-03-10 23:32:28] <AndrewRT> that's already on the agenda :)
[2009-03-10 23:32:31] <mpeel_> that's a good plan, if we have the room for a decent amount of time afterwards.
[2009-03-10 23:32:34] <AndrewRT> hopefully elect officers
[2009-03-10 23:32:54] <Tango42> I have a pretty long board meeting agenda in my head if I'm elected!
[2009-03-10 23:33:08] <Tango42> I might write it down at some point...
[2009-03-10 23:33:12] <KTC> lol
[2009-03-10 23:33:14] <mpeel_> erm... perhaps you should keep that quiet until after the elections?
[2009-03-10 23:33:19] * KTC will be happy to leave u to it :D
[2009-03-10 23:33:23] <Tango42> :)
[2009-03-10 23:33:37] <AndrewRT> really????
[2009-03-10 23:33:45] <Tango42> Are the candidates likely to be a significant portion of the electorate?
[2009-03-10 23:33:50] <Tango42> really what?
[2009-03-10 23:33:51] <AndrewRT> does it need to be then?
[2009-03-10 23:34:03] <Tango42> Well, everyone will be in the same place and the same time
[2009-03-10 23:34:04] <AndrewRT> Tango42>	I have a pretty long board meeting agenda in my head if I'm elected!
[2009-03-10 23:34:06] <Tango42> that doesn't happen often
[2009-03-10 23:34:19] <Tango42> I think things would go quicker in person than on IRC
[2009-03-10 23:34:27] <AndrewRT> yes that's true
[2009-03-10 23:35:06] <Tango42> If people would rather go home and have several really long IRC board meetings, that is an option, but personally I'd rather get it out of the way
[2009-03-10 23:35:23] <Tango42> Having the new board spending a long time locked in a room together helps with bonding, too!
[2009-03-10 23:35:29] <AndrewRT> well, if u put it like that....
[2009-03-10 23:36:12] <KTC> lol
[2009-03-10 23:36:24] <KTC> i'll make sure to lock you guy in from the outside ;)
[2009-03-10 23:36:36] <Tango42> Just make sure there is a chimney for us to send the white smoke up
[2009-03-10 23:37:39] <Tango42> CABAL! CABAL! CABAL!
[2009-03-10 23:37:43] <Tango42> (Twice in one night...)
[2009-03-10 23:37:53] <mpeel_> more admin than cabal, I'm afraid.
[2009-03-10 23:38:05] <Tango42> how are we to know what you're really discussing?
[2009-03-10 23:38:16] <AndrewRT> you dont - thats the best bit :)
[2009-03-10 23:38:26] <cfp> what are you going to do when you're on the board tango
[2009-03-10 23:38:38] <Tango42> I haven't decided.
[2009-03-10 23:38:40] <cfp> will you be shouting cabal at yourself?
[2009-03-10 23:38:50] <Tango42> I have given the matter some though
[2009-03-10 23:38:59] <Tango42> Incidentally, do you know something I don't? "When"?
[2009-03-10 23:39:18] <cfp> well unless you annoy a lot of people...
[2009-03-10 23:39:29] <KTC> i can shout cabal instead! :D
[2009-03-10 23:39:31] <Tango42> CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL!...
[2009-03-10 23:39:31] <Tango42> ...CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL!...
[2009-03-10 23:39:31] <Tango42> ...CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL!...
[2009-03-10 23:39:31] <Tango42> ...CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! CABAL! 
[2009-03-10 23:39:35] <Tango42> Is that annoying enouhg?
[2009-03-10 23:39:51] <Majorly> mind not doing that plz
[2009-03-10 23:40:02] =-= Mode #wikimedia-uk +o Seddon  by chanserv
[2009-03-10 23:40:08] <Tango42> KTC, can you be relied upon to attend every meeting? It's a very responsible job.
[2009-03-10 23:40:08] =-= YOU (Tango42) have been booted from #wikimedia-uk by Seddon (Seddon)
[2009-03-10 23:40:27] -->| YOU (Tango42) have joined #wikimedia-uk
[2009-03-10 23:40:27] =-= Topic for #wikimedia-uk is ``Discussion of Wikimedia UK http://uk.wikimedia.org | Discuss the Oxford Wikimania 2010 bid in #wikimania-oxford | Bidding has started, please get to work on the bid page | Next WMUK board meeting is Tuesday 10 March at 8.30pm UTC in #wikimedia-uk-board | This channel will be publicly logged during board meetings | Wikimania bid meeting, tonight, 8pm in #wikimania-oxford''
[2009-03-10 23:40:27] =-= Topic for #wikimedia-uk was set by Tango42 on 10 March 2009 18:41:46
[2009-03-10 23:40:27] === #wikimedia-uk http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/
[2009-03-10 23:40:31] <Tango42> op abuse!
[2009-03-10 23:40:34] <Seddon> learnt your lesson :P
[2009-03-10 23:40:40] <Tango42> A board member told me to be annoying
[2009-03-10 23:40:44] <Tango42> I was doing as I was told
[2009-03-10 23:40:59] <Seddon> cause you always do that dont you tango :P
[2009-03-10 23:41:11] <Tango42> When have I ever been disobedient?
[2009-03-10 23:43:07] <Seddon> im sure you have been once in your life :P
[2009-03-10 23:43:28] <Tango42> At least we know they aren't having secret discussions without us knowing about it... they would never get to the channel without some public statements requesting help from eachother
[2009-03-10 23:43:31] <Tango42> Slander!
[2009-03-10 23:43:50] * KTC slap Tango42 
[2009-03-10 23:43:58] <KTC> i can do private message if i want to :P
[2009-03-10 23:44:06] <Tango42> Assault!
[2009-03-10 23:44:19] <Tango42> Slander and assault within a minute...
[2009-03-10 23:44:26] <Tango42> what a criminal chapter this is...
[2009-03-10 23:44:43] <KTC> and you're standing / stood for its board
[2009-03-10 23:44:49] <KTC> what does that say about u ? :p
[2009-03-10 23:47:48] <KTC> who haven't apply to join Wikimedia UK yet? can you please do that! :)
[2009-03-10 23:48:29] <Reedy> I should pay some monies i suspect
[2009-03-10 23:48:29] <AndrewRT> I dont believe it!
[2009-03-10 23:48:37] <Tango42> That I'm such a good person I never even conceived of the possibility that I could be joining a chapter full of criminals
[2009-03-10 23:48:51] <AndrewRT> No application form from Tango!!
[2009-03-10 23:49:06] <AndrewRT> yes please Reedy!
[2009-03-10 23:49:11] <Tango42> What? I applied ages ago...
[2009-03-10 23:49:25] <AndrewRT> sorry!
[2009-03-10 23:49:26] <mpeel_> don't worry Tango42, AndrewRT's memory is going
[2009-03-10 23:49:27] <Reedy> Its funny, i never get any of the UK spam due to not being categorised
[2009-03-10 23:49:29] <AndrewRT> misunderstood
[2009-03-10 23:49:33] <Tango42> I got an email saying I'd been approved and everything
[2009-03-10 23:49:43] <mpeel_> Seddon, on the other hand...
[2009-03-10 23:49:51] <Tango42> were you asleep during that particular cabal meeting?
[2009-03-10 23:50:05] <Seddon> mpeel_ its not the 13th yet :P
[2009-03-10 23:50:17] <Tango42> Yeah, Seddon was waiting until the 13th
[2009-03-10 23:50:25] <Tango42> he notified us of that
[2009-03-10 23:50:45] <KTC> what's so special about friday the 13th?
[2009-03-10 23:50:50] <AndrewRT> huh? what's happening on 13th?
[2009-03-10 23:50:52] <Reedy> Superstition
[2009-03-10 23:50:58] <Tango42> We had this discussion already...
[2009-03-10 23:51:01] <Tango42> all your memories are going...
[2009-03-10 23:51:03] <Reedy> I'll get a copy printed off now and go find my cheque book
[2009-03-10 23:51:04] <KTC> i wasn't here ;)
[2009-03-10 23:51:14] <AndrewRT> wahay!
[2009-03-10 23:51:17] <Tango42> And you didn't read the logs when you got back?
[2009-03-10 23:51:38] <Reedy> "Please complete the form legibly in print or block capitals." - PAH
[2009-03-10 23:51:50] <Tango42> A chair should always be aware of everything that is happening in the organisation under their stewardship
[2009-03-10 23:52:20] <Tango42> wait!
[2009-03-10 23:52:25] <Tango42> What have I volunteered to do?
[2009-03-10 23:52:27] <mpeel_> it helps if I can read people's names and other info...
[2009-03-10 23:52:53] <mpeel_> go to the OKCon on behalf of WMUK, methinks.
[2009-03-10 23:52:55] <Tango42> oh, that conference thing, yeah
[2009-03-10 23:52:57] <Seddon> it might be worth posting to the foundation mailing list
[2009-03-10 23:52:59] <mpeel_> you sent an email about it and everything
[2009-03-10 23:53:14] <AndrewRT> >	http://groups.google.com/group/wmf-wikimediauk-l/browse_thread/thread/e143903cc011a8ab#
[2009-03-10 23:53:16] <Tango42> I'd rather not go alone, though... I'm not particularly interested in it, I just think we ought to be there
[2009-03-10 23:53:16] <Seddon> about membership for WMUK
[2009-03-10 23:53:40] <Seddon> id would really love to go but i will only just be getting back from scotland
[2009-03-10 23:54:09] <AndrewRT> Anyone else willing & able to go?
[2009-03-10 23:54:17] <Tango42> we have loads of london people
[2009-03-10 23:54:20] <Tango42> get some of them to go
[2009-03-10 23:54:36] <Tango42> it's the day after my birthday, so I would really rather be in bed nursing a hangover...
[2009-03-10 23:56:24] <AndrewRT> Tango42? Fancy giving a talk on WMUK?
[2009-03-10 23:56:46] <Tango42> If you really can't find anyone else to go, then I guess I might as well go the whole way and present something...
[2009-03-10 23:57:10] <AndrewRT> :>
[2009-03-10 23:59:17] * Reedy scrawls out an application form
[2009-03-10 23:59:26] <Tango42> Oh, yes - I would be claiming travel
[2009-03-10 23:59:38] <Tango42> £30 or so, probably
[2009-03-11 00:04:02] <mpeel_> What do people here think? Is having WMUK represented at OKCon a good use of money?
[2009-03-11 00:05:30] <KTC> £45 for 1, £120 for 2 people volunteered
[2009-03-11 00:08:44] <Reedy> some lucky person will be recieving a lovely hand scrawled envalope, cheque and application from me in a couple of days ;p
[2009-03-11 00:08:59] <AndrewRT> :)
[2009-03-11 00:09:01] <mpeel_> am looking forward to it, reedy, thanks. :)
[2009-03-11 00:09:04] <AndrewRT> that'll be mike then
[2009-03-11 00:09:05] <Reedy> haha
[2009-03-11 00:09:51] <Tango42> i'm not remotely keen, I'm just a generous volunteer!
[2009-03-11 00:10:52] <AndrewRT> and we're very grateful for that Tango42! :)
[2009-03-11 00:18:03] <Tango42> So what was the decision re. the conference? Did I get out of it?
[2009-03-11 00:18:10] <mpeel_> I think you got out of it
[2009-03-11 00:18:11] <KTC> yes
[2009-03-11 00:18:13] <Tango42> :)
[2009-03-11 00:18:18] <KTC> but thanks for volunteering
[2009-03-11 00:18:19] <mpeel_> ... until next year
[2009-03-11 00:18:21] <Tango42> I'll be more careful about volunteering for things in future!