From Wikimedia UK
Jump to navigation Jump to search
These minutes were approved at the Board meeting on 16 March 2009.

Minutes of the Wikimedia UK v2.0 Board Meeting #wikimedia-uk-board, 20:30 10/03/2009

Present with speaking rights: Mike Peel (MP; from 21.30), Andrew Turvey (AT), Tom Holden (TH), Mickey Conn (MC), Kwan Ting Chan (KTC).

Apologies for Absence


Minutes of Last Meeting

The minutes of the meeting of 2nd March 2009 were available to view at [1] and were agreed by AT, TH, MC and KTC (MP absent).

Matters Arising

AGM Tellers / Location

Sarah McCulloch has had to stand down as a teller due to other commitments. AT to e-mail mailing list to see if there is a volunteer to replace her. If not, James Farrar to act as sole teller until the day of the AGM, when an additional teller will be appointed to check the count for the board election. It was agreed to pay travel expenses to tellers and current board members.

It has not been possible to secure a room at the University of Birmingham, so AT to ask Sarah McCulloch to book a room at Manchester University. She is not able to book further than 28 days in advance.

ACTION: AT to e-mail list.


No action on bugs. MP to remind developers. MP also to contact Mike Godwin to check on decisions on the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF)'s domain policy.

ACTION: MP to contact developers and Mike Godwin.

Chapters Meeting

AT confirmed that we have funding for the travel and accommodation of two delegates to the Chapters Meeting. Wikimedia UK's delegates will be MP and Tango42. The chapter will cover their travel costs within the UK.

HMRC charity status

AT sent agreed letter to HMRC.


No action to take place unless the organisation has problems achieving charitable status.

Wikimania press releases

AT is liaising with Seddon on a press release.

ACTION: KTC to include on agenda for next meeting.

WMF Chapter's Grants

MP created a proposal page at Projects/Proposals. Any proposals not ready for submission to the grant programme can be developed for future consideration.

Chapter's selection of WMF board members

This section of the meeting was in camera. The board agreed their selection of WMF board members.

ACTION: AT to communicate the selection to the other chapters


AT has written two sections, now in need of updating. MC to write News Coverage, AT to write Wikipedia Loves Art, MP to write Chapter Formation, Seddon to write Oxford Wikimania bid section.

ACTION: MC, AT and MP to write sections of newsletter.

Treasurer's Report

Bank account

The bank account is now open and TH has stationery. TH to send paying-in book to MP. TH has requested statement to confirm that all cheques have cleared. TH to contact bank to ensure that he has access to see details of transactions. TH will start accounts soon. Expenses to be signed off at AGM, and a procedure put in place to do this by post in future.

ACTION: TH to send paying-in book to MP and contact bank.

Accounting software

This item was carried over to the next meeting.

ACTION: KTC to include on agenda for next meeting.

Secretary's Report

There was nothing further to report.

Membership Report

The board approved one further membership application, to become a member once their payment has cleared the company's bank account. A list of approved members is available in the annexe to these minutes. MP set up Membership/Drive to launch discussion on how best to promote membership.

Timetable Review

This item was carried over to the next meeting.

ACTION: KTC to include on agenda for next meeting.

Wikimania bid

There are four final bids for Wikimania 2010: Amsterdam, Gdansk, Oxford and Philadelphia. BT and Dow Jones have both agreed to sponsor the Oxford bid; Seddon will discuss details.

Open Knowledge Conference - WMUK representative

Following discussion, it was agreed not to send an official delegate to this conference, due to the costs involved.



This item was carried over to the next meeting.

ACTION: KTC to include on agenda for next meeting.


This item was carried over to the next meeting.

ACTION: KTC to include on agenda for next meeting.


It was agreed to finalise the AGM notice in discussions this week. MP to launch discussion at Talk:Meetings/2009_AGM/Notice.

ACTION: MP to raise issues with AGM notice on talk page


There was no further business.


The next meeting will be on Monday 16th March 2009 at 20:30 GMT.