Jump to navigation Jump to search
Activities[edit | edit source]
- Attended the launch of BBC Digital Revolution at the BBC in London on 10 July 2009 on behalf of the chapter
- Will be participating in a Science Online London panel session on 22 August 2009, entitled "Citizen science - How the Web enables anyone to be a scientist", but also focusing on communication of science.
- Have been introduced to the head of The Public Catalogue Foundation, and will likely be invited to a symposium on "Pictures in Public – Digital Connections between Collections, Researchers and the Public" in Oxford in September (along with potentially Tom?)
- Bug report on the error 404 page is ongoing - was closed by Brion, and reopened by me...
Blog[edit | edit source]
Via email I suggested the creation of a WMUK blog. The pros/cons that I can think of are below; please feel free to add comments
- Useful for releasing smallish items of news that are possibly bigger than just a post to a mailing list, but smaller than a press release (e.g. the Twitter survey results, WMF grant, etc.)
- Great for getting user feedback (everyone knows how to leave a comment on a blog)
- Additional line of communication in addition to mailing list/wiki/newsletter, easily to subscribe to and for others to find
- Easy to tie into other means of communication - e.g. Twitter
- Needs to be kept up to date
- Another job to do (but can be distributed to all board members)
- Content needs to be appropriate, timely and informative - not easy