From Wikimedia UK
Jump to navigation Jump to search


[20:35] AndrewRT: hi mpeel
[20:35] AndrewRT: shall we begin?
[20:35] mpeel: apologies about that - my IRC client was being very slow
[20:35] mpeel: yes
[20:35] mpeel: the agenda is at
[20:35] mpeel: 1. Apologies for Absence
[20:35] mpeel: skenmy and zeyi send their apologies
[20:35] mpeel: I haven't heard anything from Seddon, so am not sure whether he'll be appearing this evening.
[20:36] mpeel: 2. Minutes of Meeting dated 2009-09-15 - approval & actions
[20:36] mpeel: the minutes are at
[20:36] stevev: am here now
[20:36] mpeel: is everyone happy with them?
[20:37] cfp: yes
[20:37] AndrewRT: yep
[20:37] mpeel: I am
[20:37] mpeel: stevev?
[20:37] stevev: ok
[20:37] AndrewRT left the chat room. ("ChatZilla 0.9.85 [Firefox 3.5.3/20090824101458]")
[20:38] mpeel: great
[20:38] AndrewRT joined the chat room.
[20:38] mpeel: AndrewRT: do you want to run us through the actions?
[20:38] AndrewRT left the chat room. (Client Quit)
[20:39] AndrewRT joined the chat room.
[20:39] AndrewRT was granted voice by ChanServ.
[20:39] AndrewRT: sorry I'm back
[20:39] mpeel: AndrewRT: are you here?
[20:39] mpeel: wb
[20:39] mpeel: AndrewRT: do you want to run us through the actions?
[20:39] AndrewRT: am now sorry dodgy connection
[20:39] AndrewRT: sure
[20:39] AndrewRT: not many to run through
[20:39] AndrewRT: first off
[20:40] AndrewRT: "MP agreed to arrange CRB checks for board members and Schools Project volunteers"
[20:40] mpeel: I sent around an email to the board about this
[20:40] AndrewRT: Thanks for th email you sent round Mike
[20:40] AndrewRT: sounds like a good plan - what needs to happen?
[20:41] mpeel: The total initial cost for the 7 board members is £111.46 - with each volunteer costing an extra £7.53 (up to 13 volunteers, then there's a bit of extra cost)
[20:41] mpeel: before we can legally ask for CRB checks, though, we need to have a letter from a school saying that they want us to do an event with them, and that we need CRB checks
[20:42] mpeel: I was wondering if skenmy might be able to get such a letter - presumably via his school
[20:42] mpeel: so am waiting for a response from him before I can proceed any further.
[20:42] mpeel: <end>
[20:42] AndrewRT: has he responded to your email?
[20:42] mpeel: no, not yet
[20:42] mpeel: I only sent the email yesterday, though
[20:42] AndrewRT: stevev - is your daughter's school still interested in taking part?
[20:42] AndrewRT: in the schools project (Red Maids??)
[20:42] stevev: I have seen 3 schools recently
[20:43] stevev: Although none has said 'yes' - they are interested
[20:43] AndrewRT: could any of them write a letter of invitation?
[20:43] stevev: Too early
[20:43] AndrewRT: does that mean no?
[20:43] stevev: If the council initiative (to be seen in my report) works - then I will solve this problem pretty quickly
[20:44] stevev: But as I type now 'no'
[20:44] AndrewRT: what about the teacher we've got who's volunteered to help with this project?
[20:44] AndrewRT: cant remember her name
[20:44] stevev: I passed this onto Skenmy
[20:44] stevev: He was in Wrexham I recall
[20:45] AndrewRT: I'm just thinking we should get a plan (b) in case skenmy cant get us one
[20:45] mpeel: I don't think that this is a set-back - I don't think that there is any requirement for us to have CRB checks before planning this activity, wrt the Charity Commission
[20:45] stevev: Plan B is - the Bristol initiative will solve it - Plan A one of us needs to get that letter with some other route
[20:45] mpeel: it's just something that we'll need to return to in a short while
[20:46] AndrewRT: Theresa nott's her name -
[20:46] AndrewRT: would you mind approaching Theresa Mike in case skenmy cant do it?
[20:46] mpeel: she occasionally comes to wikimeets - so we might be able to talk to her in person on the 11th.
[20:46] AndrewRT: ah excellent
[20:46] stevev: That's not my Wreham guy - he has invited us in to his school to work with him last I heard
[20:46] AndrewRT: yes that's someone else
[20:47] stevev: Try both routes
[20:47] AndrewRT: have you got his details still steve?
[20:47] stevev: don't know - I will look later
[20:47] AndrewRT: if so, could you forward them to mike?
[20:48] AndrewRT: mpeel - there's three leads there now
[20:48] AndrewRT: skenmy, steve's wrexham friend and theresa
[20:48] AndrewRT: are you ok to follow these up?
[20:49] mpeel: this is something best followed up by skenmy, IMO
[20:49] mpeel: as the lead person with the schools project
[20:49] AndrewRT: skenmy is out of action at the moment
[20:49] AndrewRT: if you leave it to him it wont get done
[20:49] AndrewRT: and this should be our no 1 urgent priority
[20:49] AndrewRT: do you want me to do it?
[20:50] mpeel: AndrewRT: why does it need to be top priority? I don't think it's holding the charity commission application up at all.
[20:50] AndrewRT: we've told them that applications are in progress
[20:50] AndrewRT: they will inevitably enquire when they start looking at our application
[20:51] AndrewRT: if we say "yes it's completed now" it will look good
[20:51] AndrewRT: if we say "ah we actually haven't got round to doing it yet" it will look bad
[20:51] stevev: Wrexham guy details in your in box
[20:51] AndrewRT: as i said at the time, we should aim to have it done before they come asking
[20:51] mpeel: at which point we can say "we're in the planning stages for this; we've found out that CRB checks are not possible until we will definitely be going into a school, and we'll do them at that point"
[20:51] AndrewRT: thanks stevev
[20:51] AndrewRT: second point - this is holding up the schools project
[20:52] mpeel: It's possibly the lack of having a specific school interested that's holding up the schools project, rather than a CRB check...
[20:52] AndrewRT: we have lots of schools interested
[20:52] mpeel: I'm happy for you to follow this up if you're able to AndrewRT - I'm afraid that I don't have the time right now.
[20:52] AndrewRT: ok I'll do that then
[20:52] AndrewRT: I'll follow up with the three leads
[20:53] AndrewRT: and get back to you later
[20:53] mpeel: thanks AndrewRT
[20:53] AndrewRT: mpeel - did you want to discuss anything else on this?
[20:53] mpeel: Tango42 just gave me a lead to follow up which may result in even cheaper CRB checks - I'll follow this up in the next few days.
[20:54] AndrewRT: please thanks
[20:54] mpeel: that's everything with this
[20:54] AndrewRT: shall i continue with the minutes actions?
[20:54] mpeel: please
[20:54] AndrewRT: brighton seminar: "AT agreed to approach JS and detailed mechanics will be discussed further by email."
[20:54] AndrewRT: JS has said he's unlikely to be able to do this now
[20:55] AndrewRT: how should we take this forward or should we just drop it?
[20:55] AndrewRT: or should we discuss it at the in person meeting?
[20:55] mpeel: It would be good to have a mechanism to give people travel funds for appropriate events
[20:55] AndrewRT: yeah i agree
[20:55] mpeel: I'm happy to be the main contact for that if no-one else is willing
[20:55] AndrewRT: ah ok
[20:55] stevev: as a lot of things are in transition a face-to-face discussion and understanding of the issues would be useful
[20:56] AndrewRT: i agree stevev
[20:56] AndrewRT: good tim eto have a face to face meeting actually
[20:56] mpeel: this would work well as a face-to-face discussion - it links in with how we use the WMF funds, and in future the WMUK funds, in terms of making them available to all.
[20:56] stevev: yep - I will make a special effort to be there
[20:56] AndrewRT: yes indeed - ok, lets talk next meeting then
[20:57] AndrewRT: thanks stevev!
[20:57] AndrewRT: right, well that's everything I thought we needed to discuss from the actions
[20:57] AndrewRT: is there anything else anyone wanted to raise?
[20:57] mpeel: one other thing
[20:58] mpeel: one of the actions on me is to investigate having our own OTRS system
[20:58] AndrewRT: ah yes
[20:58] mpeel: I've investigated this, and it doesn't seem to be easily possible to set up on the hosting that we currently have
[20:58] mpeel: as it requires root access to set it up
[20:58] mpeel: I can request that the web host sets this up if we want
[20:58] mpeel: or we can investigate alternatives
[20:58] mpeel: or we can leave things as they are
[20:58] AndrewRT: would this cost a lot of money?
[20:59] mpeel: no
[20:59] mpeel: there's no guarantee that the web host would be happy to install it, though.
[20:59] mpeel: but I can ask
[20:59] AndrewRT: sounds like a good idea to ask, if they say they cant or whatever then we can always look at it again
[20:59] mpeel: ok, I'll do that.
[20:59] AndrewRT: thanks
[20:59] mpeel: that was it - thanks.
[21:00] mpeel: I think the above was essentially 3. Matters arising
[21:00] AndrewRT: anything else from the minutes stevev or cfp?
[21:00] cfp: nothing from me
[21:00] AndrewRT: shall i move onto my report?
[21:00] stevev: not that I can see
[21:01] mpeel: AndrewRT: please
[21:01] AndrewRT: ok
[21:01] AndrewRT: couple of things to discuss:
[21:01] AndrewRT: "I did the "Desparately Seeking Democracy" video documentary interview previously discussed"
[21:02] AndrewRT: he wants to get some background shots of Wikim/pedia "democracy in action"
[21:02] AndrewRT: he asked could he come to the AGM and do some filming?
[21:02] mpeel: I don't think that would be a problem - so long as he gives us a copy... 
[21:02] mpeel: but it's something to ask members
[21:02] huskyr joined the chat room.
[21:03] AndrewRT: erm - it would be copyrighted
[21:03] mpeel: also the Open Knowledge foundation, if we're holding the event at the OKCon
[21:03] mpeel: I meant, gives us a copy of the footage at the AGM
[21:03] AndrewRT: yeah i suggested he ask if anyone objects and if so, makes sure he doesn't film them
[21:03] AndrewRT: mpeel- yeah I suppose that's not unreasonable
[21:04] mpeel: is a WMUK AGM the best thing to film, though, considering that's not really the main thing with Wikipedia?
[21:04] AndrewRT: so can i say yes in principle, have to check with OKCON and ask individuals first?
[21:04] stevev: Yes 'ask' is always best practice
[21:04] AndrewRT: well, he seemed to think so - just wants some shots of the hustings or such like
[21:04] AndrewRT: ok thanks I'll feed that back
[21:04] mpeel: there is the aspect that filming could put people off
[21:05] Romaine joined the chat room.
[21:05] mpeel: it would definitely put me off if I was being filmed during a husting...
[21:05] AndrewRT: well, you could always decline!
[21:05] mpeel: true
[21:05] AndrewRT: ok second point
[21:05] mpeel: I think the best approach here would be an email around to the mailing list to get their views, before giving him permission...
[21:05] AndrewRT: "The Foundation have introduced us to contacts they have with WildScreen...."
[21:06] AndrewRT: mpeel - ok I'll do that first
[21:06] AndrewRT: us - mpeel and me
[21:06] AndrewRT: did they contact you mpeel?
[21:06] mpeel: I haven't heard anything since Erik's email
[21:06] mpeel: (which was last Friday)
[21:06] AndrewRT: i think we should follow it up
[21:07] mpeel: my plan was to send them a quick email at some point, to say that we are interested
[21:07] AndrewRT: could you do it or would you like me to?
[21:07] mpeel: I'm happy either way
[21:07] stevev: I think I am 'losing some emails' as I am unclear on this
[21:07] Forrestjunky joined the chat room.
[21:07] AndrewRT: well if you dont mind, you would prob be the better person
[21:07] mpeel: stevev: this hasn't been circulated to the board yet
[21:07] AndrewRT: stevev - this email was just sent to mpeel and me
[21:07] stevev: ah - that explains it
[21:07] mpeel: ok, I'll reply to his email.
[21:08] AndrewRT: I'll email it round
[21:08] AndrewRT: thanks mpeel
[21:08] AndrewRT: just sent it round
[21:08] AndrewRT: ok thats all i wanted to talk about on my report - any qs
[21:09] AndrewRT: ?
[21:09] mpeel: none from me
[21:09] mpeel: thanks AndrewRT
[21:09] AndrewRT: shall we move onto
[21:09] mpeel: ok - cfp?
[21:10] AndrewRT: Good that you got to meet with Brian
[21:10] cfp: not a lot to report
[21:10] cfp: no new members or donations
[21:10] effeietsanders joined the chat room.
[21:11] mark joined the chat room.
[21:11] AndrewRT: no qs from me
[21:11] cfp: wmau are doing accounts in a spreadsheet and haven't thought at all about hte donation drive
[21:11] mpeel: thanks cfp
[21:11] AndrewRT: really? interesting
[21:11] mpeel: cfp: that's surprising
[21:12] AndrewRT: there hasnt been much discussion on the chapters list from memory
[21:12] AndrewRT: about the fundraiser that is
[21:12] AndrewRT: shall we move onto the
[21:12] cfp: yup
[21:13] stevev: ok
[21:13] AndrewRT: interesting stuff - thanks for that mike
[21:13] mpeel: any questions?
[21:13] AndrewRT: national archives - is this the lead that seddon had?
[21:13] mpeel: yes
[21:14] AndrewRT: who's attending that meeting?
[21:14] mpeel: I'm waiting to hear back from him about whether we have a meeting booked or no
[21:14] mpeel: t
[21:14] mpeel: Seddon and me
[21:14] AndrewRT: excellent
[21:14] stevev: it is a double header with the V&A is it not?
[21:14] stevev: two in one day
[21:14] AndrewRT: soudns exciting - look forward to hearing all about it!
[21:14] mpeel: we'll hopefully be meeting them the same day, but at a seperate meeting
[21:15] mpeel: I'm hoping that the meeting with Tate Online meeting will involve me, Seddon and stevev, btw
[21:15] AndrewRT: make sense - saves on travel money
[21:15] mpeel: I'm also hoping that I can arrange the meeting with the Courtauld Gallery on the same day as one of the other meetings - but that remains to be seen
[21:15] mpeel: it also saves time. It's a long way to London! 
[21:15] stevev: good luck - and good sense
[21:15] AndrewRT: yeah true
[21:16] AndrewRT: any other qs on mike's report?
[21:16] mpeel: I suggest that we skip Zeyi and Paul's reports, as they're not here and haven't posted one
[21:16] stevev:    
[21:16] AndrewRT: mpeel - could i just mention something briefly on initiatives?
[21:16] mpeel: I realised after the last meeting that we didn't look at Seddon's report
[21:16] stevev: a hint
[21:17] mpeel: AndrewRT: let's do steve's first
[21:17] AndrewRT: ok
[21:17] AndrewRT: over to you steve
[21:17] stevev: 'read' and ask questions?
[21:17] AndrewRT: (2) - I've sent you an email about that
[21:17] stevev: Or I make the statements while you read?
[21:17] mpeel: 2) I've now emailed the user on St Helena, will share the response if/when I get it.
[21:17] AndrewRT: did you get it?
[21:18] stevev: If it is the learning lunch skeleton 'yes'
[21:18] AndrewRT: huh? I'm confused
[21:18] stevev: I saw the mail to the User on St helena too (tks)
[21:18] AndrewRT: ah gd
[21:18] AndrewRT: mpeel - who's emailed the user on st helena?
[21:18] mpeel: AndrewRT: I did
[21:18] AndrewRT: oh
[21:18] mpeel: sorry if that caused confusion
[21:19] AndrewRT: stevev - were you aware of that?
[21:19] stevev: Actions - meeting Deputy Chief Exec of Bristol City Council at which a series of collaboration ideas were proposed
[21:19] mpeel: AndrewRT: yes, steve's aware of it
[21:19] stevev: 'yes' to st helena
[21:19] AndrewRT: they both look interesting - please kepe us up to ate with any progress
[21:19] stevev: Bristol 'initiative' driven by a leading local councillor from my ward
[21:19] stevev: endorsing it as 'fantastic'
[21:20] AndrewRT: can i forward your Bristol presentation to the rest of the board?
[21:20] stevev: we are awaiting the response from BCC Dep Chief Exec
[21:20] stevev: andrewRT - I cannot see why not? it is ok in your view is it not?
[21:20] AndrewRT: ok I'll do that
[21:21] AndrewRT: i had a couple of comments which I'll talk to you later about if that's ok
[21:21] stevev: fine
[21:21] stevev: document was 'to catch their interest'
[21:21] stevev: I cannot imagine they'll buy into more than a little of it all
[21:22] AndrewRT: a little is good - its a start
[21:22] mpeel: stevev: nice work with the Bristol people, hope it pans out.
[21:22] stevev: fingers crossed
[21:22] mpeel: shall we move on?
[21:22] mpeel: AndrewRT: you had a point on initiatives that you wanted to discuss?
[21:22] stevev: We also have an endorsement of support from a local MP Kerry McCarthy (the Labour Twitter Tsar)
[21:22] AndrewRT: yes please
[21:23] AndrewRT: Workplace Learning Lunches
[21:23] AndrewRT: I'll finally done a timetable and budget:
[21:23] AndrewRT: please everyone critique, revise, feed back etc
[21:23] AndrewRT: apologies it's so late
[21:23] AndrewRT: that's it
[21:24] mpeel: you only have 1 day left of September - how close to completion is the advertising leaflet?
[21:24] AndrewRT: quite close
[21:24] AndrewRT: done a skeleton which I've sent to steve
[21:24] AndrewRT: after I've done the draft I want to send it round board and possibly email list and possibly en-wiki for comments
[21:24] Jarry1250 joined the chat room.
[21:25] mpeel: great - I'm looking forward to seeing it
[21:25] stevev: I have the beginings of a long list of organisations/companies to approach
[21:25] AndrewRT:                          
[21:26] AndrewRT: shall we move on?
[21:26] mpeel: Conferences - I realised after the last meeting that we never covered Seddon's report, which was at .
[21:26] AndrewRT: yes
[21:26] AndrewRT: shall we cover it now or wait till he's around?
[21:26] mpeel: Is there anything that needs discussion?
[21:27] mpeel: if so, then we should probably wait until he's around. If not, then we can acknowledge it in today's minutes.
[21:27] AndrewRT: nope - good report so thanks seddon for that (in his absense)
[21:27] mpeel: ditto what AndrewRT just said. 
[21:27] mpeel: ok, 5. Wikimedia France Multimedia workshop - AndrewRT do you want to lead this bit?
[21:28] AndrewRT: well, WM France are organising a technical workshop
[21:28] AndrewRT: have offered to pay for a UK person to attend
[21:28] AndrewRT: (pls correct me if I get some details wrong)
[21:28] AndrewRT: Mike and Zeyi have volunteered
[21:28] mpeel: will do AndrewRT. 
[21:29] AndrewRT: but they're interested in havign any UK Wikimedia person whose good at tech stuff, not specifically a board person
[21:29] AndrewRT: Of the two, I think mpeel is more qualified than Zeyi
[21:29] stevev: yep
[21:29] mpeel: further info about the meeting is in Erik's post to foundation-l, btw - at
[21:29] AndrewRT: in terms of experience with technical things on commons
[21:29] mpeel: and also on-wiki at
[21:30] AndrewRT: for me the main choice is should we ask for Mike or someone else from outside the board?
[21:30] cfp: there's someone whose name i can't remember, one sec...
[21:30] mpeel: I would be more than happy to go, and obviously abstain from any decision about this. I think it would be good to see if there's anyone from outside the board interested, though.
[21:31] cfp: river
[21:32] cfp: she does quite a lot on the tech side doesn't she
[21:32] AndrewRT: is he here?
[21:32] AndrewRT: sorry she
[21:32] AndrewRT: what does she do?
[21:32] cfp: she used to be more active on the lists. she was invovled in the oxford bid
[21:33] AndrewRT: {{cn}} 
[21:33] AndrewRT: yeah name rings a bell
[21:34] AndrewRT: so what should we do - ask her and if she can't ask Mike?
[21:34] AndrewRT: or just go with Mike as he's volunteered and can definitely do it?
[21:34] cfp: it'd be worth seeinf if she was interested at least. i don't know of any other uk devs
[21:34] AndrewRT: do u know whre she's based?
[21:34] cfp: oxford i think
[21:35] AndrewRT: ah thats good
[21:35] mpeel: it's a good way of starting to get them interested/involved with the chapter IMO.
[21:35] AndrewRT: I'm happy with asking her - stevev what's your view?
[21:35] stevev: I am easy Mike/River don't mind who goes
[21:35] AndrewRT: ok river it is - shall i ask her?
[21:35] mpeel: Is River on the wikimediauk-l mailing list? If so, it might be easiest to just email the mailing list to see if anyone's interested.
[21:36] AndrewRT: mpeel - yes i think she is
[21:36] cfp: k
[21:36] AndrewRT: date is 6-8 nov so we shouldnt delay too much
[21:37] AndrewRT: I'll take an action to email the mailing list and also river personally and we can finalise next meeting
[21:37] cfp: k
[21:37] mpeel: thanks AndrewRT
[21:37] stevev: tks
[21:37] mpeel: shall we move on to the fundraiser now?
[21:38] mpeel: ok, the first and second part of this is in camera, I'm afraid
[21:39] mpeel: stevev: did you get my private message to you?
[21:40] mpeel: btw, breaking news: I've just got an email from the St Helena user saying that "Yes, we could certainly help.  We already work closely with the Saint Helena
[21:40] mpeel: Tourist Board on various things."
[21:40] AndrewRT: ah excellent
[21:56] Romaine left the chat room.
[22:15] Jarry1250 left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 180 seconds)
[22:15] stevev: excellent news (pass it on)
[22:19] Jayflux joined the chat room.
[22:20] Jayflux: gussing i missed this?
[22:22] stevev: not sure..:-)
[22:22] mpeel: not sure whether it can be shared just yet
[22:23] mpeel: ah - unless that message from stevev was for the earlier thing.
[22:23] mpeel: Jayflux: meeting is ongoing, but in camera
[22:24] stevev: No 'in camera'
[22:24] Jayflux: sorry im not sure what you mean
[22:24] Jayflux: in camera?
[22:25] AndrewRT: we're having a private meeting to discuss a confidential matter
[22:25] AndrewRT: will be out in public again soon!
[22:26] huskyr left the chat room. ("")
[22:27] Tango42: "camera" is Latin for "chamber", it means something happening in private
[22:37] mark left the chat room.
[22:37] Jayflux: ok
[22:41] mpeel: ok, we're returning from in camera now...
[22:41] AndrewRT: right we're back in the meeting
[22:41] AndrewRT: thanks everyone for bearing with us
[22:41] AndrewRT: just to summarise for the minutes:
[22:42] AndrewRT: Tango42 has volunteered to act as a Head of Fundraising to help us with the Annual Fundraiser
[22:42] AndrewRT: the board has accepted - thanks Tango
[22:42] AndrewRT: he'll be liasing mostly with Mike to get these things completed
[22:42] AndrewRT: We also agreed our approach to teh Foundation for the Fundraising Agreement
[22:43] AndrewRT: I will now approach the Foundation to finalise the agreement
[22:43] mpeel: thanks AndrewRT for the summary
[22:43] mpeel: Given the time, I suggest we leave points 7. and 8. on the agenda until a future meeting - is that OK AndrewRT? (Points are on the CoI policy and child protection policy)
[22:43] AndrewRT: yeah I think so
[22:43] mpeel: does anyone have any AOB?
[22:43] AndrewRT: we agreed before that they would be brought back for a fuller discussion - suggest we still have that in a months time
[22:43] AndrewRT: not from me
[22:44] stevev: no
[22:44] mpeel: I have a very quick one - which is, am I ok to claim for travel to the Pictures in Public event from the WMF grant?
[22:44] AndrewRT: which bit?
[22:44] mpeel: (I don't think that was formally agreed before)
[22:44] mpeel: travel from Manchester to Oxford and back
[22:44] cfp: attending free content conferences
[22:44] cfp: fine.
[22:44] mpeel: what cfp said. 
[22:45] AndrewRT: soudsn reasonable to me
[22:45] stevev: if we have it - it is ok by me too
[22:45] AndrewRT: presume ull be claimign for National Archive trip as well
[22:45] mpeel: actually - content access projcets would be more applicable
[22:45] mpeel: if possible, yes - also the meeting with Tate.
[22:45] AndrewRT: mpeel - I'm happy with either
[22:45] AndrewRT: are we done?
[22:46] mpeel: yup, thanks - next meeting will be on the 13 October, same time, same place.
[22:46] AndrewRT: really?
[22:46] mpeel: it will focus on initiatives.
[22:46] AndrewRT: not 11th?
[22:46] mpeel: I wasn't planning on that being a formal board meeting
[22:46] AndrewRT: Sunday 11th October?
[22:46] mpeel: hopefully as many of us as possible will meet at the london wikimeet on the 11th october
[22:47] AndrewRT: sure
[22:47] stevev: I am confirmed now
[22:47] mpeel: I think that will be discussion, not decisions, so it doesn't need to be a formal meeting.
[22:47] AndrewRT: i think it should be a board meeting - we might want to make decisions there
[22:47] AndrewRT: but it's up to you
[22:47] mpeel: info on the wikimeet is at
[22:47] mpeel: ok - let's have the option to declare bits of it as a board meeting, if we want.
[22:48] AndrewRT: if we're meetign on the 11th do we really need to meet on 13th again or can we wait till 27th?
[22:48] mpeel: how about compromising on the 20th?
[22:49] mpeel: ok, the meeting on the 11th will be a board meeting, in person, in London.
[22:49] AndrewRT: yeah sure
[22:49] mpeel: ... followed by an IRC board meeting on the 20th October.
[22:49] mpeel: Am looking forward to seeing everyone on the 11th
[22:49] mpeel: thanks all for coming
[22:49] mpeel: <end>
[22:49] AndrewRT: yeah me too
[22:49] AndrewRT: thanks for chairing mpeel
[22:50] mpeel: thanks for bearing with me AndrewRT. 
[22:50] mpeel: and also cfp and stevev of course. 
[22:50] stevev: you two are like an old married couple 
[22:50] cfp: night all
[22:50] stevev: night Mr cfp
[22:50] AndrewRT: haha
[22:51] stevev: TTFN


[20:36] mpeel: board meeting is starting in #wikimedia-uk-board
[20:37] RC_Reporting: New edit: [[Initiatives/Workplace Learning Lunches]] * AndrewRT * /* Discussion */ +timeline, budget
[20:37] AndrewRT left the chat room. ("ChatZilla 0.9.85 [Firefox 3.5.3/20090824101458]")
[20:38] AndrewRT joined the chat room.
[20:38] AndrewRT left the chat room. (Client Quit)
[20:40] AndrewRT joined the chat room.
[20:40] AndrewRT was granted voice by ChanServ.
[20:42] Tango42: mpeel: Are you absolutely sure we can't get the CRBs for free? They are supposed to be free for volunteers.
[20:43] mpeel: they are free, but there's still admin charges
[20:43] mpeel: that's because they have to go through an umbrella organization
[20:43] mpeel: even if we went direct to the CRB, though, there's still a charge to register with them
[20:43] mpeel: (it's much cheaper and easier to go with an umbrella organization)
[20:43] Tango42: When I looked there were umbrella orgs that offered CRBs for free, charging just the CRB fee, which would be zero
[20:44] mpeel: If you could point me towards one such organization, then I'd greatly appreciate it.
[20:44] mpeel: the only ones I could find charged admin fees.
[20:45] Tango42: i'll have another look
[20:47] Tango42:    
[20:47] Tango42: There is a option under "Price" for "free of charge"
[20:47] mpeel: I tried that
[20:47] Tango42: Unfortunately the searches are done by POST so I can't give a url to the search results
[20:47] mpeel: I couldn't find anyone listed there for free who would be able to actually do the CRB checks
[20:47] mpeel: they tend to be for specific groups of organizations
[20:48] mpeel: e.g.: "WYYA provide a CRB countersigning service to voluntary sector organizations working with children and young people in Yorkshire. We ask customers to affiliate to the Association to get access to many free services, including disclosure countersigning."
[20:48] Tango42:    
[20:48] Tango42: they say they do it for anyone
[20:49] mpeel: hmm - that looks rather dodgy, tbh
[20:50] Tango42: they are on the official list, there is a limit to how dodgy they could be
[20:50] mpeel: true
[20:50] mpeel: I'll give them a phone call and ask for more information.
[20:50] Tango42: good plan
[20:59] Tango42: mpeel: If they can't, it might be worth just waiting until after the fundraiser and setting up a more permanent solution for web hosting where we have more control
[21:00] mpeel: Tango42: true
[21:00] Tango42: we'll have to sooner or later
[21:00] AndrewRT: excuse my technical ignorance - what would a more permanent solution look like?
[21:00] mpeel: a WMUK server sitting in a data centre
[21:00] mpeel: or a more expensive hosting package, e.g. a VPS
[21:00] Tango42: our own server in a data centre would be the optimal solution, but I don't know what that would cost
[21:01] Reedy: its usually £50 per month for colo
[21:01] Reedy: or more
[21:01] Tango42: for a single server?
[21:01] mpeel: Reedy: yup, plus the cost of a server
[21:01] Reedy: hence saying colo 
[21:01] AndrewRT: ouch!
[21:01] Reedy: Do you really need much more flexibility?
[21:01] mpeel: not at this point
[21:02] mpeel: in the long run, I think we probably will - but that's a few years off
[21:02] Tango42: does that include everything we would need? Power, bandwidth, tech support?
[21:02] Reedy: Thats usually 1U rack space, upto a power limit, and upto a bandwith limit
[21:02] Reedy: usually no tech support as that'd be colo
[21:02] Reedy: can get a VPS for cheaper, a dedi would be more, but include tech support.. sometimes
[21:03] Reedy: Though, if you were going down that route, amsterdam.. WMF have free hosting there
[21:03] Tango42: so we would need to be sure the colo was somewhere one of our more technically minded members could get to pretty easily?
[21:03] Reedy: just pay for bandwith for sitelinks
[21:03] Reedy: Tango42, yup
[21:03] Reedy: loads around the uk
[21:04] Reedy: more often than not you dont need physical access, but never a bad thing
[21:04] Reedy: Finding someone who works in a data centre, at an ISP, yada yada could be the way forward there, if you were to go down that route
[21:04] Tango42: I'd be inclined to find our own hosting rather than work with the WMF - we need to emphasise our independence.
[21:05] AndrewRT: i second Tango42
[21:05] Tango42: sharing servers blurs the whole "We have nothing to do with Wikipedia" thing
[21:05] Reedy: lol
[21:05] Reedy: But we do have *something* 
[21:05] Reedy: <mpeel> not at this point
[21:05] Reedy: <mpeel> in the long run, I think we probably will - but that's a few years off
[21:05] Reedy: ^what he said
[21:05] Tango42: not to the extent that I would expect us to lose such a court case, but to the extent that we might have more legal fees in order to win
[21:07] Reedy: but for just 1 wiki, with low usage, you wouldnt need that much power tbh
[21:07] Reedy: the usage would be the factor.
[21:07] Reedy: ..
[21:07] • Reedy shrugs
[21:07] Reedy: something to properly investigate when we come to the bridge
[21:09] Tango42: Filming one of the school visits would probably be best if a school would agree
[21:12] RC_Reporting: New edit: [[Meetings/2009-09-29/Agenda]] * Mike Peel * strike through reports by people that aren't here/haven't provided one
[21:14] Forrestjunky joined the chat room.
[21:21] RC_Reporting: New edit: [[Meetings/2009-09-29/Agenda/Corporate Report]] * Mike Peel * spelling
[21:24] Jarry1250 joined the chat room.
[21:30] AndrewRT: Is anyone here interested in attending this conference:
[21:30] AndrewRT: (who lives in the UK that is)
[21:33] mpeel: Random not-wikimedia-related info: NASA's Messenger spacecraft will be doing a fly-by of Mercury in a few hours:
[21:38] Forrestjunky: there's probably a very small chance river is interested in attending a real life meeting 
[21:39] AndrewRT: ah do u know her?
[21:39] Tango42: CABAL! CABAL! CABAL!
[21:39] Forrestjunky: no, but I remember he/she wasnt even in Berlin
[21:39] AndrewRT: do we know who went to Wikimania or the Berlin tech meeting?
[21:39] Forrestjunky: could still ask though 
[21:40] Forrestjunky: yeah, there's a list for the berlin meet at least
[21:40] Reedy: I'd love to know what she actually does for a job
[21:40] Tango42: I don't remember any brits being at the berlin tech meeting
[21:46] Forrestjunky: hm that list seems to have disappeared
[22:15] Jarry1250 left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 180 seconds)
[22:20] Chzz joined the chat room.
[22:45] Tango42: For everyone's information, I will be sending an email to the uk mailing list, probably tomorrow, asking for volunteers to help out with the fundraiser - I will need lots of help!
[22:47] Tango42: mpeel: Is there are point in it *not* being a formal board meeting?
[22:48] mpeel: Tango42: requirement of minutes, which could be onorous, especially if the discussions are fragmented.
[22:48] Tango42: the minutes don't need to be very detailed regarding discussions
[22:48] Tango42: all decisions need to be minuted, but discussions can just say "X was discussed"
[22:48] AndrewRT: minutes only really need to cover decisions
[22:48] mpeel: ok
[22:49] AndrewRT: discussions can be useful but not mandatory