Below is the Wikimedia UK monthly report for the period 1st to 28th February 2013. If you want to keep up with the chapter's activities as they happen, please subscribe to our blog, join a UK mailing list, and/or follow us on Twitter. If you have any questions or comments, please drop us a line on this report's talk page.
- 1 Program activities
- 2 Administrative activities
Program activities[edit | edit source]
Community[edit | edit source]
GLAM activities[edit | edit source]
- Robin Owain met National Trust officers in Llandudno (11/02/2013) to discuss incorrect entries on Wiki-en and possible training of staff. Interested Wikipedians can Wiki-email Robin or contact the office.
- Preparations for the GLAM-Wiki Conference continue.
- Training workshops for contributors at the British Library
- Work on Wikimedians in Residence continue, with the position at the Natural History Museum and Science Museum set to start in March.
Technology[edit | edit source]
Other activities[edit | edit source]
- Robin Owain met Aberystwyth University Students Union President and other offices (13/02/2013) to discuss forming a Wikipedia student society, starting with an editathon. Also met Dr Ted Jones and Dr Dafydd Tudur at the National Library regarding the Piloting of images.
- Robin Owain represented WMUK at the Royal Commission's Digital Past Conference; 13-14 February.
Microgrants[edit | edit source]
Information about microgrants that are currently running, and how to submit a microgrant application of your own, are at Microgrants/Applications.
UK press coverage (and coverage of UK projects & activities)[edit | edit source]
Upcoming activities in March[edit | edit source]
For past events please see here.
For events in March 2013 and onwards, please see Events.
Administrative activities[edit | edit source]
Finances[edit | edit source]
There have been no major updates to our Finances, however, our annual audit is being undertaken by our auditors, Messrs UHY Hacker Young of Nottingham. So far, things are progressing well, although the auditors are waiting on a few bank statements from early 2012 to be produced by our bank.
The other major Financial issue under discussion is the Scheme of Delegation, which is the key document which decides how much control the Chief Executive has over spending decisions before he has to submit that decision to the board. It's being discussed at Talk:Scheme of Delegation. Everyone, but particularly those with experience in charity finance, are welcome to place their views on that page, or email them to the Chief Executive or Treasurer.
Board activities[edit | edit source]
- John Byrne stands down as the Treasurer and a trustee of Wikimedia UK
- Greyham Dawes has joined the WMUK board
News from the Chief Exec[edit | edit source]
- For information on Jon's activities this month, see News from the Office.
Communications[edit | edit source]
Please see the above links to relevant press coverage received in February.
The most prominent communications activity in February related to the release of the Compass Review into Wikimedia UK's governance. This generated some press coverage (see above) and plenty of conversation. Much time was spent responding to questions and comments both on and off wiki.
One of the other main activities in February linked to communications was the delivery of the second round of media training. This session was attended by trustees, volunteers and some staff and looked at strategies and techniques related to crisis management and widespread news coverage.
Plans were finalised for the media event in early March attended by Jimmy Wales and guidance notes finalised. A series of short briefing papers was prepared for Trustees and staff related to potential hot topics.
If you're interested in getting more involved with our communications or have any questions or comments, please email Stevie Benton – email@example.com
Fundraising and Membership[edit | edit source]
This month, we received £755 in one-off donations, with 14 individual donations. The average donation amount was £52.93 - 43% of these donors have had Gift Aid Declarations made and matched with their records. If anyone would like a full (but anonymised) csv file with more information, please get in touch with katherine.bavagewikimedia.org.uk and let her know your requirements.
There were 5335 successful direct debits this month, bringing in a total of £21,371.24.
Up to 28th February 2013:
- 162 new (membership commenced in preceding three months) and current members - with 13 new join-ups in February
- 117 'grace' members (membership within six months after date membership should be renewed)
- 4 expiring memberships.
- This adds up to 279 members who were eligible to vote at as of 28th February 2013.