UK Wikimedian of the Year 2012
The UK Wikimedian of the Year is an annual award given by Wikimedia UK to thank those in the UK or abroad who have helped the UK Wikimedia movement. These volunteers and institutions have gone above and beyond the call of duty to help bring open knowledge to all.
The prizes were first awarded at WikiConference UK 2012 at the Science Museum on 12 May 2012. The purpose of the awards is to recognise achievement - and inspire efforts for next year!
Categories & Winners[edit | edit source]
- UK Wikimedian of the Year
- GLAM of the Year
- Derby Museum and Art Gallery, for helping launch QRpedia codes in the UK (and worldwide)
- Herbert Art Gallery and Museum, for fully embracing the Wikimedia movement, releasing content, and holding regular events
- National Maritime Museum, for releasing thousands of historical records of ships under the CC-BY-SA licence
- Educational Institution of the Year
- Honourable Mention
- Geograph Britain and Ireland
- Lvova Anastasiya
- Richard Power
Coverage[edit | edit source]
- Times Higher Education, Campus Roundup, 9 August 2012, about the education awards for the Universities of Bristol and Oxford: "Two institutions have won awards recognising their contributions to the online referencing site Wikipedia."
- OII Recognised as Educational Institution of the Year at Wikimedia UK's Annual Conference, news item from Oxford Internet Institute, 15 June 2012
- University’s Wikipedia work wins inaugural award, news item from University of Bristol, 26 July 2012
Gallery[edit | edit source]
James Forrester speaks about his award