September is Wiki Loves Monuments! Upload images of listed buildings & scheduled monuments across Scotland.
Wikimedia in Scotland
Open knowledge for all
About Wikimedia in Scotland
Welcome! to Wikimedia in Scotland, the home for improving the quality of Scotland-related content across all Wikimedia projects, and outreach to cultural and educational institutions within Scotland.
If you'd like to know more about what's happening in your part of Scotland, or if you're an organisation like a museum or university who'd like to engage with Wikimedia, then we warmly invite you to contact our Scotland Programme Coordinator, Sara Thomas. You can email her on email@example.com
Wikimedia UK is a registered charity that supports and promotes Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia projects such as Wikimedia Commons.
There are currently two Wikimedians in Residence in Scotland:
- Delphine Dallison was Wikimedian in Residence at the Scottish Libraries and Information Council (part time) between April 2018-March 2019.
- Dr Sara Thomas was Wikimedian in Residence at SLIC from August 2017-April 2018, and at Museums Galleries Scotland between January 2015-June 2016. Sara Thomas is now Scotland Programme Coordinator.
- Dr Susan Ross was Gaelic Wikimedian in Residence at the National Library of Scotland from January - December 2017.
- Ally Crockford was Wikimedian in Residence at the National Library of Scotland from July 2013 - March 2015.
The ScotWiki Network
We bring members of the ScotWiki community together in various meetings throughout the year. For organisations who engage with Wikimedia, or who are interested in doing so, we hold semi-regular ScotWiki Partners meetings, which aim to share knowledge and deepen connections across the network. If you're interested in attending our next meeting please contact Sara Thomas.
For individual editors, volunteers and others involved in the community, we hold semi-regular social meetups at different places around the country.
We are very interested in hearing from anyone who would like to host a partners meeting, meetup or training session in their local area. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let's chat.
The ScotWiki mailing list remains the place to hear about news and events relevant to Scotland. It's a fairly low-traffic mailing at time of writing (September 2018). You can sign up to the mailing list here. We promise no spam, no selling your data to third parties.
- 13 - Women in STEM Wikipedia editathon for Ada Lovelace Day at the University of Edinburgh, Women in Red
- 30 - Women in Red Wikipedia editathon at the University of Edinburgh, Women in Red
- 4 - Teaching with Wikipedia - a practical 'how to' workshop with the University of Edinburgh, Teaching with Wikipedia
- 18 - Women in Red Wikipedia editathon at the University of Edinburgh, Women in Red
Organise a meetup!
- 2 - Teaching with Wikipedia - a practical 'how to' workshop with the University of Edinburgh, Teaching with Wikipedia
- 04 - Women in Red Wikipedia editathon at the University of Edinburgh, Women in Red
- More UK events
Members play a key role in shaping the future of the Chapter. Membership is open to all and costs just £5 a year.
We organise many events each year, including meetups, editing events, "Backstage Pass" events at museums, workshops and conferences. If you're interested in organising an event, please get in contact.
Start editing today! Wikimedia is more than just Wikipedia - it's also WikiData, Wikimedia Commons, WikiSource, and more.
Wikimedia Commons is a repository of free media. Upload your photos today and have them reach an audience of thousands.
We are always interested to hear from new volunteers. If you have an idea you'd like to help make happen, or time and skills you would like to offer Wikimedia UK, please get in touch on volunteeringwikimedia.org.uk
Want to suggest changes to the content and presentation of this page? Comment on the talk page, or experiment at the Sandbox