From Wikimedia UK
Jump to navigation Jump to search
These minutes were approved at the Board meeting on 25 November 2008.

Minutes of the Wikimedia UK v2.0 Board Meeting #wikimedia-uk-board, 20:30 18/11/2008


Present with speaking rights: Kwan Ting Chan (KTC), Mickey Conn (MC), Tom Holden (TH), Mike Peel (MP)

Apologies for Absence

Apologies were received from Andrew Turvey (AT)

Minutes of the Last Meeting

The minutes of the meeting of 11th November 2008 were available to view at [1] and were approved with one change under 8.1 AGM: "ACTION: TH to further investigate possible venue for AGM." was corrected to show that MP had been actioned.

Matters Arising

Chapter status re. ChapCom & WMF

ChapCom has passed a resolution that the board of the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) recognise Wiki UK Ltd as a chapter of Wikimedia and de-recognise Wiki Educational Resources Ltd (WER Ltd). This resolution will be passed to the board of the WMF for discussion at their next meeting, from 9-11 January 2009. No difficulties with the de-recognition of WER Ltd are foreseen.

Expense claim forms

Two expense claim forms are outstanding, from KTC and MC.

ACTION: KTC and MC to e-mail completed expense claim forms to TH.

Business Plan

A proposed business plan was available to view at [2]. TH spoke to the Co-op Bank, who confirmed that they are looking for a half page summary. A number of possible changes were discussed and made. A resolution which would, among other measures, approve the plan, was item 5 on the meeting agenda.

Bank account opening

TH has received a completed Section 5 form from MP. MC has sent off a form, and TH is expecting one from AT alongside certified documents.

Non-English translation

MC sent a request for volunteers to the mailing list but did not receive any response. MC to draft a couple of paragraphs for Wikimedia projects in languages other than English which are native to or widely used in the UK, requesting both assistance with translation and also asking how the projects can best relate with the chapter, and what the chapter could do for them. MC then to circulate statement for approval before distributing it.

ACTION: MC to draft statement, circulate and then distribute.


A draft of the November newsletter was available at [3]. MC to co-ordinate updating it in light of decision made at the meeting and marking as final version, then MP to circulate. MP to adjust the template used to auto-generate a summary which includes a prominent link to the subscription page.

ACTION: MC to co-ordinate updating newsletter. MP to adjust template and to circulate.

Wiki Educational Resources Ltd

As AT had given apologies for the meeting, this item was moved to the agenda of the next meeting.

ACTION: KTC to include item on agenda of next meeting.

Standard company text

AT distributed a standard text for use on all official communications. The phrasing was approved unanimously.

HMRC tax exempt status

As AT had given apologies for the meeting, this item was moved to the agenda of the next meeting.

ACTION: KTC to include item on agenda of next meeting.

Direct Debit setup information

TH to enquire with Co-op Bank about direct debit set-up before sending off application.

ACTION: TH to investigate direct debits.

AGM venue

TH may be able to find a free venue for the AGM, with a capacity of 50 people, in Oxford. The board will not book a venue until after the organisation has a bank account and is accepting members.

Resolutions for approval

KTC proposed that the board:

  • Appoint the following board members to the serve in the listed position effective immediately until the first AGM of the company.
    • Kwan Ting Chan - Chair
    • Michael Conn - Communication Officer
    • Tom Holden - Treasurer
    • Michael Peel - Membership Secretary
  • Approve the on-going application and negotiation with the Wikimedia Foundation towards being recognised as a Wikimedia Chapter, and the obtaining of Chapters Agreement.
  • Authorise the Treasurer and the Chair the power to approve reasonable expenses incurred and filed with the Treasurer using a completed current expenses claim form for the amount totalling under £100. Expenses totalling £100 or more shall be approved by an additional board member. No individual shall sign off their own personal expenses.
  • Approve the opening of a bank account with the Co-operative Bank.
  • Approve the setup and distribution of a monthly Newsletter electronically.

The resolution was approved unanimously.

Membership application

MP sent a draft form to the board. Various changes were discussed and implemented. MP to put the text of the form and a PDF version of the form on meta; the board is happy to release these under the GDFL licence. MP to send e-mail to mailing list and people who have registered an interested in membership on meta noting that membership applications may be sent from 19th November, although they will not be processed until the organisation has a bank account.

ACTION: MP to put form on MetaWiki. MP to inform mailing list and other interested parties of membership situation.

Treasurer's Report

TH noted that expenses for the board meeting of 27th October will total about £130.

Secretary's Report

The board noted their thanks to AT for his hard work.

Timetable Review

Negotiations with ChapCom have been concluded. Negotiations with the Wikimedia Foundation will hopefully be concluded by 11th January, and if a contract is made available to sign, this could happen at the AGM, which is tentatively scheduled for 18th January. The timetable was update accordingly. Other items are proceeding to plan.



Tango42 has asked whether a summary of the recent Wikimeet in London could be included in the newsletter. MP to ask whether Tango42 or Gordon Joly could write a brief summary. This would be needed by the evening of 19th November.

ACTION: MP to ask whether attendees could write a summary of recent Wikimeet.


There has been little recent activity on the Oxford bid to host Wikimania. It was agreed that Andrew Seddon may state that he is making enquiries related to the bid on behalf of Wiki UK Limited, provided that he does not commit to anything.

European Commission Green Paper

MP passed on information about the European Commission Green Paper on Copyright in the Knowledge Economy, which was discussed at [4]. Further information is available at [5].


The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 25th November at 20:30 (GMT/UTC).