From Wikimedia UK
Jump to navigation Jump to search
These minutes were approved at the Board meeting on 30 December 2008.

Minutes of the Wikimedia UK v2.0 Board Meeting #wikimedia-uk-board, 20:30 16/12/2008


Present with speaking rights: Kwan Ting Chan (KTC), Mickey Conn (MC), Tom Holden (TH), Mike Peel (MP), Andrew Turvey (AT) (part)

Apologies for Absence

Apologies were received from AT that he would be late for the meeting.

Minutes of the Last Meeting

The minutes of the meeting of 8th December 2008 were available to view at [1] and were approved with one change: under 4.2 Bank & Paypal account, "TH to investigate one or more other banks as a back-up plan" was changed to read "possibly investigating one or more other banks as a back-up plan" to more accurately reflect understanding of decision reached, and related action for TH was removed.

Matters Arising

HMRC tax exempt status

AT has not yet received a response and is not expecting to hear back until January.

Bank & Paypal account

MC contacted Michael Snow asking whether Wikimedia Foundation meeting could be moved forward, but received no response. Unless they are able to meet very soon, this will be of little benefit, so will wait to see if a response arrives.

Wikimediauk-l Moderator

MC is now a moderator for the wikimediauk-l list; there are currently no messages queued. MC has e-mailed owners of website, but has not yet received a response. TH to e-mail Alison and JamesF asking for to be forwarded to an appropriate e-mail address controlled by the board.

Wikipedia Loves Art

AT has met with Gail at the Victoria and Albert Museum, who is keen to make Wikipedia Loves Art a success. She is asking the board to get as many people involved as possible and is hoping for between five and fifty people. AT to post to mailing list to gather ideas for groups to invite and websites on which to promote the event.

ACTION: AT to post to mailing list.

Election Rules

Discussion is underway on meta. There appears to be a consensus for the board after the AGM to consist of seven directors.


Little response has been received from projects in other languages, probably due to the small size of many of them. A couple of responses have been received on cy.wikipedia but from editors who do not currently wish to get involved. This could be revisited in future, but given the low response, is not a current priority.


User:Ironholds has contributed a section on the December London Wikimeet to the newsletter. MC to ask AT to contribute section on Wikipedia Loves Art. MP to contribute membership section; TH to contribute section on Oxford Wikimania bid; KTC to contribute section on AGM. MC to co-ordinate and write other sections. MP to co-ordinate outlining a possible agenda for the AGM and surrounding events on meta and launch a discussion around this.

ACTION: All to contribute to newsletter. MP to co-ordinate AGM page on meta.

Accounts management

TH to investigate accounts management software.

ACTION: TH to investigate accounts management software.

Treasurer's Report

There was nothing to report.

Secretary's Report

There was nothing to report.

Membership Report

One further membership application had been received. Not expecting many applications for a few weeks, due to the delay in setting up the bank account.

Draft forms

MP e-mailed draft forms for standing orders and gift aid around the board.

Timetable Review

No new information had been received which might affect the timing of any events on the timeline.

Wikimania bid

The Oxford Flickr group have responded positively to a contact from User:Seddon.


Wikimedia Foundation - Chapters Meeting

There may be an in person meeting between the Wikimedia Foundation and all chapters in Berlin in March or April. It is likely that more details will be forthcoming once the organisation is approved as a chapter.


The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 30th December at 20:30 (GMT/UTC).