From Wikimedia UK
Jump to navigation Jump to search
These minutes were approved at the Board meeting on 13 January 2009.

Minutes of the Wikimedia UK v2.0 Board Meeting #wikimedia-uk-board, 20:30 30/12/2008


Present with speaking rights: Tom Holden (TH), Mike Peel (MP), Andrew Turvey (AT)

Also voiced during parts of the meeting: PharosAlexandria

Apologies for Absence

Kwan Ting Chan (KTC), Mickey Conn (MC)

Minutes of Last Meeting

Available at [1]. AT has made one minor change [2], otherwise approved by all present.

Matters Arising

Wikipedia Loves Art

AT has not yet emailed the email list regarding this.

AT asked the company to provide £50 in prizes for this competition on the basis that he will give a matching donation of £50. Some money should possibly be used for promotion of the event. The Board agreed to do this and TH agreed to investigate sponsorship of prizes, failing which AT's donation will be used.

ACTIONS: AT to email the wikimedia-uk mailing list, TH to investigate sponsorship of prizes.

An IRC chat about the event will also be held on Tue 6 Jan 2009 at 21.30.

Election Rules

It was decided to put the Rules for approval to the next meeting.

ACTION: MP to propose some revised wording for the rules.

Newsletter - December

Newsletter has been distributed. January edition should probably go out around the 20th, after the WMF board meeting.

ACTION: MP, MC to discuss who should distribute the email version in future.

Accounts management

TH has investigated GnuCash and Microsoft's Small Business Accounting application (both free). GnuCash is preferable - both free software, and multi-platform.

ACTION: TH to start using GnuCash for accounts.

Treasurer's Report

Nothing to report.

Secretary's Report

Nothing to report.

Membership Report

Nothing to report.

Timetable Review

Nothing changed.

Wikimania bid

The Montpellier bid has dropped out, and is now supporting the UK bid.

Travel Visa sponsorship

The current bid page notes that the chapter may be able to act as a visa sponsor. AT raised concerns about the chapter's liability in this case.

ACTION: TH to investigate what being a visa sponsor entails, and what the liabilities are, closer to the bid.

Location of AGM

Discussions on the list have suggested Birmingham or Manchester this year, Oxford next year. Decision on which location to go for was delayed until the next meeting, pending some initial investigation.

ACTION: AT to investigate possible locations in Birmingham for the AGM.


ACTION: MP to investigate setting up a wiki for the chapter hosted by the WMF, and to request that one is set up if possible.


The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 13th January at 20:30 (GMT/UTC).