From Wikimedia UK
Jump to navigation Jump to search
These minutes were approved at the Board meeting on 19 January 2009.

Minutes of the Wikimedia UK v2.0 Board Meeting #wikimedia-uk-board, 20:30 13/01/2009


Present with speaking rights: Kwan Ting Chan (KTC), Mickey Conn (MC), Tom Holden (TH), Mike Peel (MP), Andrew Turvey (AT)

Apologies for Absence

No apologies were received.

Minutes of the Last Meeting

The minutes of the meeting of 30th December 2008 were available to view at [1] and were approved unanimously.

Matters Arising

WMF decision on chapter status

Wiki UK Ltd has been granted chapter status by the Wikimedia Foundation. The next step is to sign the Chapters Agreement. The chapter will request that its operating area be recognised as the United Kingdom, and that it be authorised to operate under the names "Wikimedia England", "Wikimedia Scotland", "Wikimedia Wales", "Wikimedia Northern Ireland", "Wikimedia Britain", "Wikimedia Great Britain", "Wikimedia United Kingdom" and "Wikimedia UK", and translations of these (for example, into other languages spoken in the UK). We will also request that in the standard term "The Foundation will not seek to create or authorize the creation of any additional chapter within this geographic region without consulting with the Chapter", "consulting with" is changed to read "obtaining the consent of".

ACTION: TH to open discussion with Wikimedia Foundation.

Wikimedia UK v1

The board gave a unanimous vote of thanks to the board of the former Wikimedia UK thanking them for their support of the creation of a new organisation. AT to convey message.

ACTION: AT to pass on thanks.

AGM Location

The board decided to pursue holding the AGM in Birmingham, possibly at the university. A free venue should be available. AT to investigate, with a budget of around £10 if needed. If Birmingham is not possible, Manchester would be the second choice. The date can be fixed once the organisation's bank account has been opened.

ACTION: AT to investigate venue in Birmingham.

Election Rules

Draft rules were available to view at [2]. Following discussion, the board gave their broad approval to the draft rules. AT to draft additional rule stating that after an election in which fewer than four candidates receive more than 50% support, the top three will be elected but will have to call an AGM within 2 months.

ACTION: AT to draft additional rule.

Website hosted by the WMF

A website for the chapter hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation has been requested. TH to request information from barrister contact as to the legal consequences of this. MP to contact James F, requesting that ownership of the and addresses are transferred to Wiki UK Ltd.

ACTION: TH to contact barrister. MP to contact James F.

Wikipedia Loves Art

AT organised a meeting on IRC and has been working on the project on several fronts. TH to investigate sponsorship possibilities.

ACTION: TH to investigate sponsorship possibilities.


Main items for next newsletter are WMF approval (KTC), membership (including bank account developments) (MP/TH), new website (MP), AGM (AT), Wikipedia Loves Art (AT), Wikimania bid (TH) and London meet-up (LoopZilla). MC to write summary and organise e-mail circulation. MP to pass relevant e-mail addresses to MC. Aim to get newsletter out around 20th January.

ACTION: All to contribute to newsletter. MP to e-mail MC.

Treasurer's Report

There was nothing to report.

Secretary's Report

There was nothing to report.

Membership Report

One further membership application has been received.

Membership Rules

Draft rules were available to view at [3]. Board to organise a discussion on membership at the AGM.

Timetable Review

AT has updated the expected date for receipt of tax-exempt status in the light of new information, and has marked the achievement of chapter status. Timing of other items will be clearer by next meeting. AT to draft documents for AGM, ready for announcement.

ACTION: AT to draft documents for AGM.

Wikimania bid

TH has been active on a number of fronts. Further volunteers would be welcome; TH will increase efforts to find additional volunteers once the bidding process opens officially.


Moderation of #wikimedia-uk

The current operators of #wikimedia-uk - the WMukv1 directors - no longer regularly use this channel. MP will contact an existing op, and request op status for current board members and frequent users Tango42, Majorly and Seddon.

ACTION: MP to contact op with request

Chapters meeting

The board are aware that a meeting of Wikimedia chapters is planned and have some details. A decision on who to send will need to be made by the new board immediately after the AGM.


The next meeting will be held on Monday 19th January at 20:30 (GMT/UTC).