Meetings/2009-02-02

From Wikimedia UK
Jump to: navigation, search
These minutes were approved at the Board meeting on 10 February 2009.

Minutes of the Wikimedia UK v2.0 Board Meeting #wikimedia-uk-board, 20:30 02/02/2009

Constitution

Present with speaking rights: Mickey Conn (MC), Tom Holden (TH), Mike Peel (MP), Andrew Turvey (AT)

Apologies for Absence

Apologies were received from Kwan Ting Chan (KTC).

Minutes of the Last Meeting

The minutes of the meeting of 19th January 2009 were available to view at [1] and were approved unanimously.

Matters Arising

Chapters Agreement with WMF

Mike Godwin has confirmed that the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) have received our signed chapter agreement, and arrangements are now official. TH has a copy of the agreement and will send this to the Co-op Bank. The board updated the timeline [2] to reflect an expected bank account opening date of 9th February and an AGM date of 28th March.

ACTION: TH to send agreement to bank.

AGM Location

AT is continuing investigations. AT to speak to the University of Birmingham and their students union directly regarding room availability.

ACTION: AT to continue investigations.

AGM Tellers

Two people have volunteered to act as tellers for the AGM: James Farrar and Sarah McCulloch. The board agreed to appoint both as tellers.

Website

Material relating to the organisation has been moved from meta.wikimedia.org to uk.wikimedia.org. Board members have been made administrators and bureaucrats, and it was agreed to make Seddon, Tango42 and Majorly administrators. An e-mail will be sent to the UK mailing list, asking any other interested individuals to apply for adminship, which will be granted at the discretion of the board. MP to place Bugzilla request for bureaucrats to be given rights to de-sysop administrators. All to edit website, including site notices, to improve and localise it. JamesF has replied to MP regarding ownership of wikimedia.org.uk, asking whether this should be passed to Wikimedia UK or to the WMF. Mike Godwin from the WMF is considering their position; MP and AT have both stated publicly that they wish Wikimedia UK to control this domain.

ACTION: All to edit website.

Moderation of #wikimedia-uk

MP has been given a founder flag on #wikimedia-uk and can now distribute rights. MP, TH, AT, MC, Seddon, Tango42 and Majorly have been given op status.

AGM Documents

AT has prepared documents to meet the legal requirements. All to assist with adding text to encourage people to stand for the board, attend the AGM, etc.

ACTION: All to contribute to documents.

UK Government consultation on copyright

Following discussion, it was agreed to work on a submission to the UK government consultation on copyright, focussing on access to works. Final version to be e-mailed around on Thursday 5th February for agreement and submission the following day.

ACTION: All to contribute to submission.

Newsletter

The January newsletter was sent out. Next newsletter to go out in late February, after AGM notice has gone out.

Treasurer's Report

AT incurred expenses of around £60 relating to the Wikipedia Loves Art launch. AT to submit expenses to treasurer; it was unanimously agreed that this expense should be reimbursed by the organisation.

ACTION: AT to submit expenses.

Secretary's Report

AT is due to receive copies of the WMF's annual report. AT to bring report to AGM, if possible.

ACTION: AT to bring report to AGM, if possible.

Membership Report

One further application was received. More are expected once the bank account is open and applications can be processed. Board members are required to pay membership fees but need not complete a form, as they are already members.

ACTION: All to pay membership fees.

Timetable Review

This item was covered under 4.1 Chapters Agreement with WMF.

Wikimania bid

Seddon had convened an IRC discussion, which was strongly in favour of continuing with the bid. TH attended a networking event. The board unanimously approved the text of a proposal relating to sponsorship for the event, visible at [3]. The text was initially prepared for BT, but can be used for other potential sponsors. Seddon was voiced and requested board attendance at weekly meetings on IRC regarding the bid.

AOCB

Chapters Meeting

Following discussion, it was agreed that the organisation will not have the funds to send a board member to the Wikimedia chapters meeting, running from 3-5 April. If external funding is available, the board would be happy to send a representative. AT to e-mail UK and Chapters mailing lists detailing our position and requesting views on who would be a suitable representative.

ACTION: AT to send e-mails.

Communications

MP and MC have been added to the Communications Committee mailing list. MP and David Gerard have spoken to the media regarding flagged revisions on the English language Wikipedia.

Legal advice

LawWorks [4] appear to offer free legal advice to organisations such as ours. AT to investigate.

ACTION: AT to investigate and report back at next meeting.

Closure

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 10th February at 20:30 (GMT/UTC).