From Wikimedia UK
Jump to navigation Jump to search
These minutes were approved at the Board meeting on 2 March 2009.

Minutes of the Wikimedia UK v2.0 Board Meeting #wikimedia-uk-board, 20:30 17/02/2009


Present with speaking rights: Mike Peel (MP), Andrew Turvey (AT), Tom Holden (TH), Kwan Ting Chan (KTC), Mickey Conn (MC).

Apologies for Absence


Minutes of Last Meeting

The minutes of the meeting of 10th February 2009 were available to view at [1] and were approved unanimously.

Matters Arising

AGM Location

AT to continue investigations.

ACTION: AT to report back at next meeting.


No news has been received on the Bugzilla request to permit board members to de-sysop on the website. MP to send e-mail to mailing list asking for volunteers to become administrators, and volunteers to help design the main page.

ACTION: MP to send e-mail.

AGM Tellers

AGM date will need to be postponed; AT to discuss the role of tellers with James Farrar and Sarah McCulloch.

ACTION: AT to phone tellers.

Chapters Meeting

AT e-mailed list asking for suggestions as to attendance at meeting. Tango42 would like to attend. MC to e-mail the Chapters mailing list asking whether non-board members can attend; if not, MP to attend.

ACTION: MC to e-mail the Chapters mailing list.


AT to investigate and report back at next meeting.

ACTION: AT to investigate.

Sunday Times Op-Ed

MP asked Jay Walsh from the Wikimedia Foundation to reply, if they wished.


MC has created skeleton of newsletter. Following people to write sections: Chapter Formation - all; Website - MP; AGM - KTC; Wikipedia Loves Art - AT; Wikimania - Seddon; Meetups - AT; News Coverage - MC; IP Consultation - TH/AT.

ACTION: All to contribute to newsletter.

Treasurer's Report

Bank account

TH has been in discussions with the Co-op Bank, who have requested clarification from the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF). Mike Godwin from the WMF has signed a letter confirming that we do not require their approval. Bank is due to reply in next few days; if they are still unclear about situation, board will need to consider options.

ACTION: KTC to add to agenda for next meeting.

Accounting software

TH to report back at next meeting.

ACTION: TH to report at next meeting.

Secretary's Report

AT received five copies of the WMF annual report.


AT received a request for more information on our charitable activities from HMRC. AT to reply, mentioning Wikipedia Loves Art and possibly Wikimania and Wikipedia for Schools.

ACTION: AT to reply to HMRC request.

Membership Report

The board approved 11 membership applications, to become members once their membership dues have been received in the company's bank account. A list of approved members is available in the annexe to these minutes.

Membership application form

MP e-mailed an updated draft membership application form to board members. It was unanimously approved for release.

ACTION: MP to release new application form.

Timetable Review

In light of the delay in opening the bank account, the board moved all dates on the timetable back two weeks.

Wikimania bid

Seddon is setting up a budget committee to continue work on the bid, and will send an e-mail to the mailing list, in addition to contact some individuals directly, asking for volunteers.

AT agreed to do a press release for the bid, which would be separate from the press release about the formation of the chapter.

ACTION: AT to work on press releases for bid.


HBOS Social Entrepreneur awards

The awards were mentioned on the mailing list. It was agreed the chapter wouldn't action anything on this.


The next meeting will be on Monday 2nd March 2009 at 20:30 GMT.