Meetings/2009-02-17/IRC

From Wikimedia UK
Jump to navigation Jump to search

#wikimedia-uk-board

[20:02] You were granted voice by ChanServ.
[20:18] Tango42 is now known as Tango42_away.
[20:20] cfp joined the chat room.
[20:20] cfp was granted voice by ChanServ.
[20:21] Seddon joined the chat room.
[20:25] warofdreams joined the chat room.
[20:30] Warofdreams was granted voice by ChanServ.
[20:31] Warofdreams: hi everyone
[20:31] • KTC waves
[20:32] andrewrt joined the chat room.
[20:32] mpeel: hi all
[20:32] andrewrt was granted voice by ChanServ.
[20:32] andrewrt: hi all
[20:33] KTC: hi
[20:33] Warofdreams: hi - everyone here
[20:33] AndrewRT: yep looks like it
[20:33] KTC: right, let's go 
[20:33] Tango42_away is now known as Tango42.
[20:33] mpeel: cfp, you here?
[20:33] cfp: yup
[20:33] cfp: evening all
[20:33] KTC: http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetings/2009-02-17/Agenda for the agenda
[20:33] Warofdreams: evening
[20:34] KTC: http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetings/2009-02-10 for last week's minutes
[20:34] You were promoted to operator by ChanServ.
[20:34] You made this room moderated for normal users.
[20:34] You were demoted from operator by ChanServ.
[20:34] KTC: are people happy with the minutes ?
[20:34] KTC: mpeel & AndrewRT ?
[20:34] cfp: all looks fine
[20:35] mpeel: fine by me (but then, I wrote them...)
[20:35] AndrewRT: yep I'm fine with it
[20:35] Warofdreams: look fine to me, but I wasn't there
[20:36] KTC: matters arising then
[20:36] AndrewRT: apologies from me - I've been rubbish with my actions!
[20:36] AndrewRT: first up AGM Location
[20:36] AndrewRT: I haven't followed this up
[20:36] AndrewRT: but will do on Thursday if that's ok?
[20:37] AndrewRT: could you carry teh action fwd to next mtg pls
[20:37] Warofdreams: will do.
[20:38] Warofdreams: sadly this is slightly less urgent than hoped
[20:38] AndrewRT: yes i suppose
[20:38] KTC:  right, next is Website
[20:38] AndrewRT: mpeel?
[20:38] KTC: main page design & sysop
[20:38] AndrewRT: "uk.wikimedia.org et al.
[20:38] AndrewRT: A request for bureaucrats to have desysoping abilities was made on bugzilla [2]. Adding sysops to the wiki is on hold until this ability is in place.
[20:38] AndrewRT: ACTION: MP to ask on the mailing list if anyone wants to come up with a new main page design, and if anyone wants to be a sysop on the wiki
[20:38] mpeel: ah. Oops.
[20:38] mpeel: I'll do that asap..
[20:38] mpeel: sorry
[20:38] AndrewRT: any news on the bugzilla?
[20:39] mpeel: not as far as I know...
[20:39] KTC: https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17388
[20:39] KTC: nope
[20:39] AndrewRT: c/f to next mtg?
[20:39] mpeel: please
[20:39] KTC: *nod*
[20:39] Warofdreams: I'll minute that.
[20:39] AndrewRT: Tellers was me
[20:40] AndrewRT: Likewise the deadline for this has fallen back
[20:40] AndrewRT: I haven't et talked to them - pls c/f to n/m too
[20:40] AndrewRT: _yet_
[20:40] Warofdreams: will also minuted this.
[20:40] Warofdreams: *minute
[20:40] KTC: Chapters Meeting then
[20:41] AndrewRT: well this is one I have actioned 
[20:41] AndrewRT: I sent a message to the list
[20:41] AndrewRT: asking for suggestions
[20:41] AndrewRT: the only response was Tango reiterating that he would like to go
[20:41] AndrewRT: I think this has also become moot
[20:41] KTC: ?
[20:42] AndrewRT: given that the AGM is likely to be after the Berlin meeting
[20:42] KTC: yes, but still need to decide on someone to go, if we get fund provided for
[20:42] AndrewRT: I understand that the organisers want Board members only at this meeting - is that correct?
[20:43] Warofdreams: I don't think anyone has posed the question of non-board members going, but it's clearly intended as a meeting for board members
[20:43] AndrewRT: well, Tango42 has
[20:43] Warofdreams: I mean to the WMF - unless I missed that
[20:44] AndrewRT: what do we want to do given that all Board members seem quite uncommital?
[20:44] AndrewRT: but we have an offer from a keen member
[20:45] AndrewRT: (or member to be I shd say!)
[20:45] Warofdreams: I guess the options are either to put the question to the WMF, or to decide to definitely send one of us
[20:45] mpeel: It's probably worth emailing the chapters mailing list asking for everyone's opinion on non-board-members attending.
[20:45] KTC: we can ask
[20:45] AndrewRT: ok sounds a good idea
[20:46] mpeel: the WMF's not involved with organizing the meeting, btw...
[20:46] AndrewRT: want me to that?
[20:46] mpeel: another btw: Tango's not a member yet...
[20:46] Warofdreams: sorry, for some reason I thought they were
[20:46] AndrewRT: or someone else volunteer?
[20:46] Warofdreams: I'd be happy to do that
[20:46] Warofdreams: communications, and all...
[20:46] mpeel: If they want a board member to attend, then I would be happy to go.
[20:46] AndrewRT: thanks WarofDreams
[20:46] AndrewRT: action you then
[20:47] Warofdreams: mpeel: will you definitely be able to go?
[20:47] mpeel: but if someone else wants to go, then I'd rather they be given priority.
[20:47] mpeel: yes
[20:47] Warofdreams: excellent - that's good to know.
[20:48] AndrewRT: when this was discussed no-one was that keen to go
[20:48] AndrewRT: I cant unfortunately
[20:48] AndrewRT: KTC am I right in thinking you couldnt either?
[20:48] KTC: i don't think i was at that meeting
[20:48] AndrewRT: ah
[20:48] Warofdreams: I probably could, but as I explained before, I have coursework due in then and would rather not if I don't have to
[20:48] KTC: i could, as far as i know, but if i get a new job in the next few weeks, that might become a no
[20:48] AndrewRT: it's 3-5 April, in Berlin, travel & accom will be provided by another chapter
[20:48] AndrewRT: cfp?
[20:49] cfp: i could go in theory.
[20:49] cfp: let me double check my calendar
[20:49] cfp: yeah, nothing marked in. i'm not desperate to go though
[20:50] AndrewRT: in that case, can I suggest mpeel is the best solution
[20:50] cfp: and i'd probably rather not if there's the option
[20:50] AndrewRT: and we agree for him to go?
[20:50] cfp: yup
[20:50] Warofdreams: yes
[20:50] KTC: ok
[20:50] AndrewRT: thanks for volunteering mpeel
[20:50] KTC: LawWorks then
[20:50] KTC: AT ?
[20:51] AndrewRT: right, guess we can scrap action on WarofDreams!
[20:51] mpeel: I'd rather we ask the other chapters first, to see what their views of non-board member attendees is...
[20:51] AndrewRT: oh ok then
[20:51] KTC: right, let's ask, and see what happens, but we do have someone on the board that can go
[20:51] KTC: etc
[20:51] Warofdreams: I'm happy with that - if they want strictly board members only, we've got a solution
[20:52] AndrewRT: LawWorks - pls c/f again to n/m
[20:52] mpeel: I'm also happy with that.
[20:52] AndrewRT: sorry!
[20:52] KTC: Sunday Times Op-Ed
[20:52] KTC: mpeel
[20:52] mpeel: nothing to report here...
[20:53] mpeel: David wasn't able to do anything
[20:53] mpeel: Mickey didn't reply
[20:53] AndrewRT: well, we had some emails on the subject
[20:53] mpeel: so I bounced it back to Jay.
[20:53] mpeel: I don't think it went anywhere in the end.
[20:53] AndrewRT: didnt' David suggest the WMF handle it?
[20:53] KTC: to be honest, i had a copy of the paper last week, and this week, i managed to not see the article in the actual paper at all....
[20:53] KTC: or any response if any
[20:54] KTC: david did
[20:54] mpeel: sorry; you're right.
[20:54] KTC: ok
[20:54] KTC: next, Newsletter
[20:54] AndrewRT: ok
[20:54] Warofdreams: by the time I saw the e-mail, you'd already replied to Jay - which I agree with
[20:54] AndrewRT: I said I would start the newsletter
[20:54] AndrewRT: haven't had time
[20:55] Warofdreams: so I did, instead
[20:55] mpeel: Warofdreams: ok, thanks. I didn't want to delay the response to Jay any longer than I did...
[20:55] Warofdreams: no problems
[20:55] KTC: http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Newsletter/February2009
[20:55] AndrewRT: ah!
[20:55] AndrewRT: not on the page http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Newsletter
[20:56] Warofdreams: no, I've left it off for now, as it's just a skeleton
[20:56] AndrewRT: What timescale should we have for this?
[20:56] Warofdreams: same section headings as last time, for now
[20:56] Warofdreams: we'll probably have more on each heading soon or have already
[20:56] mpeel: we probably want to send this out by next week...
[20:56] mpeel: so approve at the next meeting?
[20:56] AndrewRT: out by Sunday?
[20:56] AndrewRT: oh ok
[20:56] mpeel: (assuming we have one ~ 23-24 feb...)
[20:57] mpeel: or sending it out on sunday's fine by me.
[20:57] KTC: okay, let's work on it this week, approve and send it out next week
[20:57] Warofdreams: if we do; if not, then aim to get it out at the start of next week
[20:57] KTC: either is fine
[20:57] AndrewRT: should we get volunteers for sections?
[20:57] Warofdreams: I'm very keen to keep to the monthly schedule, which doesn't give us that long for this one
[20:57] AndrewRT: WarofDreams: yes I agree, out by early next week
[20:58] AndrewRT: dont think we should need to get Board approval
[20:58] Warofdreams: no, although if it's not gone out by next meeting we might as well raise it
[20:58] Warofdreams: Volunteers sounds a good plan.  Does anyone want to claim a section?
[20:58] AndrewRT: I'll do WLA
[20:59] Warofdreams: excellent
[20:59] AndrewRT: could we ask Seddon to do WIkimania?
[20:59] Warofdreams: sounds a good plan
[20:59] KTC: i'll actually do AGM this time....
[21:00] KTC: sorry about before
[21:00] Warofdreams: that'll be great
[21:00] AndrewRT: mpeel - could you do website?
[21:00] mpeel: yup. I can also do membership, if we have a section for that.
[21:00] AndrewRT: Seddon's agreed to do Wikimanis
[21:00] KTC: just put one in if not
[21:00] AndrewRT: _Wikimania_
[21:00] KTC:
[21:00] Warofdreams: mpeel: I haven't carried one over, but if you have enough to say to merit a section, yes please.
[21:01] mpeel: I'll probably put a few lines into the chapter formation section.
[21:01] Warofdreams: great.
[21:01] AndrewRT: I actually went to the meet up this month
[21:01] KTC: great
[21:01] KTC: let's hear (read) all about it 
[21:01] AndrewRT: I'll take that one if you want
[21:01] Warofdreams: KTC: do you want to write the chapter formation process section?
[21:01] Warofdreams: Andrew: yes please
[21:02] AndrewRT: do we need co formation?
[21:02] AndrewRT: is that basically bank account?
[21:02] KTC: what exactly do people have in mind for that section?
[21:02] Warofdreams: yes, unless there is any other general info to add
[21:02] KTC: i looked at it and liked it, but then got confused as to what it contains
[21:02] mpeel: considering that our main aim is to form the chapter, we should definitely have that section...
[21:03] AndrewRT: yeah I suppose that's true
[21:03] Warofdreams: probably an explanation of what has happened since last newsletter/why expected things haven't happened
[21:03] AndrewRT: I have heard back from HMRC re tax status so you can add that in too
[21:03] KTC: in that case, i think everyone has a sentence or two for that section
[21:03] KTC: so everyone just put in their bit
[21:03] AndrewRT: I can do that sentence if you want!
[21:03] Warofdreams: I was thinking of writing a "Wikimedia in the news" section to cover the news stories which we've been asked to respond to
[21:04] AndrewRT: yeah that's a good idea
[21:04] AndrewRT: what about the IP consultation we responded to?
[21:04] Warofdreams: yes, that'd be good to put in
[21:04] cfp: are we tax exempt then now?
[21:04] mpeel: Warofdreams: that sounds good. It would be nice to have a list of those set up somewhere on the wiki to...
[21:04] AndrewRT: cfp - not quite do you want an update now or later?
[21:04] Warofdreams: mpeel: good idea.  I'll set something up.
[21:04] KTC: let's leave till later in meeting AndrewRT
[21:05] KTC: going to confuse things otherwise
[21:05] AndrewRT: sure
[21:05] AndrewRT: coudl someone summarise whose doing what then?
[21:05] KTC: are everyone happy on this then ?
[21:05] KTC: 1. chapter formation - everyone seemingly
[21:05] KTC: 2. website - mpeel
[21:06] KTC: 3. AGM - me
[21:06] KTC: 4. WLA - AndrewRT
[21:06] KTC: 5. Wikimania - Seddon
[21:06] KTC: 6. Meetups - AndrewRT  ?
[21:06] AndrewRT: yes
[21:06] mpeel: sounds great
[21:06] Warofdreams: 7. News - me
[21:06] KTC: 7. IP cons
[21:07] KTC: *8. IP consultation ?
[21:07] AndrewRT: 7. News, 8. IP Cons
[21:07] mpeel: wow; a long newsletter, then.
[21:07] • mpeel adds extra parameters to the templates
[21:08] AndrewRT: well, maybe combine some of the sections
[21:08] AndrewRT: WLA & meetups perhaps
[21:08] Warofdreams: I suggest we write the sections and then see if some of them combine well
[21:08] KTC: cfp, r u doing the IP consultation section ?
[21:08] KTC: or is that someone else
[21:08] AndrewRT: whoever volunteers I think
[21:09] AndrewRT: I can do it if u want
[21:09] AndrewRT: next item?
[21:10] cfp: k well i'll do it if andrew hasn't first
[21:10] KTC: yes
[21:10] Warofdreams: great.
[21:10] KTC: cfp report
[21:10] KTC: Bank account to start off with
[21:10] cfp: right well you saw the various emails today?
[21:10] KTC: yes
[21:10] cfp: mike godwin's now sent them the letter i wrote for him
[21:11] cfp: so i'll phone them tomorrow to check things are ok now
[21:11] AndrewRT: cfp could you summarise the situation for the minutes?
[21:11] KTC: maybe a very brief summary for other people
[21:11] cfp: sure
[21:11] cfp: so we sent them the signed chapter agreement, thinking that was all they wanted
[21:12] AndrewRT: ..
[21:14] AndrewRT: is cfp still there?
[21:14] AndrewRT: he's not returning my pings!
[21:14] KTC: nor my
[21:14] AndrewRT: shall I summarise while we're waiting for cfp to return?
[21:14] KTC: plz
[21:15] AndrewRT: ok it got refered to their compliance dept
[21:15] AndrewRT: they somehow read into the Chapters Agreement that we needed WMF permission to open a bank accoutn
[21:15] cfp left the chat room. (kubrick.freenode.net irc.freenode.net)
[21:15] AndrewRT: so they asked cfp to arrange a letter from WMF authorising us to open the account
[21:16] AndrewRT: he emailed Jay
[21:16] AndrewRT: in the meantime, I called up coop
[21:16] AndrewRT: asked them what was going on
[21:16] AndrewRT: they explained situation
[21:16] AndrewRT: Jay has since come back with the required letter
[21:16] AndrewRT: whcih has been sent to the coop
[21:16] mpeel: the letter came from Mike Godwin, not Jay, no?
[21:17] KTC: do we mean Mike Godwin and not Jay ?
[21:17] AndrewRT: assuming it is ok, coop reckon the account will be open round about end of next week
[21:17] AndrewRT: sorry, yes from Mike
[21:17] AndrewRT: sorry the letter was sent to Mike, not to Jay
[21:17] AndrewRT: upshot is they now have their letter and assuming they are happy with it the bank account will fiunally
[21:18] AndrewRT: _finally_ be open on around about Friday 27th Feb
[21:18] mpeel: are the co-op good at getting back to us if there are problems, or should they be chased later this week?
[21:18] AndrewRT: no - i suggest someone chases it
[21:18] AndrewRT: which I can do if you want
[21:19] AndrewRT: so, in the meantime there are two other decisions needed:
[21:19] AndrewRT: (a) at what stage should we start to open a "back-up" account
[21:20] AndrewRT: (b) should we call an AGM before we can accept donations
[21:20] KTC: (b) i say wait for a little bit longer to see what happens
[21:20] KTC: (a) if they mess around again after this, then
[21:20] mpeel: I agree with KTC.
[21:20] Warofdreams: well, on (a), the coop should respond to us on this letter in the next few days.  That should inform us whether or not they have a clue and take any notice of it
[21:21] Warofdreams: if they're still asking silly questions after seeing this, then I agree with KTC
[21:21] AndrewRT: yeah I agree with that
[21:21] AndrewRT: the guy at the coop said he'd probably finish reviewing the letter on Friday
[21:21] cfp joined the chat room.
[21:21] cfp was granted voice by ChanServ.
[21:21] KTC: welcome back
[21:22] cfp: sorry my connection seems to be on the blink
[21:22] AndrewRT: hi cfp!
[21:22] cfp: i'm not sure how much i missed there
[21:22] AndrewRT: I've done the summary
[21:22] AndrewRT: and asked:
[21:22] AndrewRT: (a) at what stage should we start to open a "back-up" account
[21:22] AndrewRT: >(b) should we call an AGM before we can accept donations
[21:22] cfp: my summary for what it's worth was:
[21:22] cfp: <+KTC> maybe a very brief summary for other people
[21:22] cfp: <+cfp> sure
[21:22] cfp: <+cfp> so we sent them the signed chapter agreement, thinking that was all they wanted
[21:22] cfp: <+cfp> they were slow to respond but eventually sent me an email with issues
[21:22] cfp: <+cfp> i replied to their email
[21:22] cfp: <+cfp> they were again slow to respond.
[21:22] cfp: <+cfp> i eventually gave up and phoned them
[21:22] cfp: <+cfp> got the impression fighting was futile, so we're giving them "what they wanted" namely approval from wmf
[21:22] cfp: <+cfp> but in doing so i'm trying to ensure we never have to go through this fiasco in future
[21:23] cfp: <+cfp> by getting wmf to clear up our relationship
[21:23] cfp: <+cfp> i think that's the pertinent facts
[21:23] cfp: <+cfp> i'm sorry it's all taking so long. i probably should have been more proactive in following things up with them.
[21:23] cfp: <+cfp> further questions?
[21:23] cfp: * Disconnected
[21:23] AndrewRT: ok unfortunately we didn't hear half of that first time round!!
[21:23] cfp: in answer to (a), it's probably going to be a pain, so persevering for another fortnight at least sounds reasonable
[21:24] cfp: in answer to (b) i'm fine with it
[21:24] cfp: up to everyone else
[21:24] AndrewRT: Warofdreams>well, on (a), the coop should respond to us on this letter in the next few days. That should inform us whether or not they have a clue and take any notice of it
[21:25] KTC: right, anything else on this topic?
[21:26] AndrewRT: what's teh decision?
[21:26] cfp: i think we probably just have to accept the need for patience.
[21:27] AndrewRT: ok
[21:27] AndrewRT: cfp are u ok with me following up on Friday?
[21:27] cfp: yes sure.
[21:27] AndrewRT: with Glyn - that's when he said he'd look at the letter
[21:27] AndrewRT: if he still hasn't got a clue shall we reconsider then?
[21:27] cfp: oh really. racing ahead.
[21:28] cfp: yeah.
[21:28] KTC: let's reconsider this issue at the next meeting depending on what happens between now and then
[21:28] AndrewRT: yeah quite
[21:28] AndrewRT: ok
[21:28] AndrewRT: lets move on then
[21:28] KTC: Accounting software
[21:28] cfp: on the accounts, not actioned it yet, hassle me again next week
[21:28] AndrewRT: ok
[21:28] KTC: anything else to report cfp?
[21:28] cfp: don't think so
[21:29] mpeel: any progress with software?
[21:29] AndrewRT: cfp>on the accounts, not actioned it yet, hassle me again next week
[21:29] mpeel: ah, sorry
[21:29] AndrewRT: hehe
[21:29] • mpeel starts paying closer attention
[21:29] KTC: sec report
[21:29] AndrewRT: for once I have a few things to report!
[21:30] AndrewRT: First I've received those reports from the WMF
[21:30] AndrewRT: which I'll bring along to the AGM
[21:30] AndrewRT: Second I've had a response from HMRC on tax status
[21:30] mpeel: how many were there in the end?
[21:30] AndrewRT: which means we've reached the top of their pile!
[21:30] AndrewRT: mpeel - I'll just check
[21:31] AndrewRT: Five
[21:31] AndrewRT: all printed and bound and well presented
[21:31] AndrewRT: so I'm sure they'll be useful!
[21:31] AndrewRT: on HMRC - they were asking for more information on what we've done so far
[21:32] AndrewRT: so they can assess whether we're charitabe
[21:32] AndrewRT: that was probably expected
[21:32] AndrewRT: I've been meaning to respond which i haven't got round to yet
[21:32] AndrewRT: I'll do that on Thursday as well!
[21:32] KTC: k
[21:32] AndrewRT: no doubt they'll be ok touch after that
[21:32] AndrewRT: I'll keep averyone informed!
[21:32] cfp: thanks andrew.
[21:33] cfp: it's lucky we did the v&a thing
[21:33] KTC: anything else ?
[21:33] AndrewRT: nope thats it from me
[21:33] AndrewRT: cfp - yes my thoughts exactly!
[21:33] AndrewRT: I was thinking of citign WLA and Wikimania
[21:34] KTC: #wikimedia-uk > supporting wikipedia for schools
[21:34] cfp: and the consultation as mpeel suggested
[21:34] mpeel: We haven't really done anything on wikimania yet, though...
[21:34] AndrewRT: we've put work into the bid
[21:34] AndrewRT: counting Seddon as part of "we"
[21:34] mpeel:
[21:34] AndrewRT: it gives a good flavour of the kind of things we'll be doing in the future too
[21:35] KTC: membership/
[21:35] KTC: * ?
[21:35] AndrewRT: are we approving members today?
[21:36] Warofdreams: we're running well to time - why not?
[21:36] mpeel: we can do.
[21:36] AndrewRT: good excellent
[21:36] AndrewRT: we were going to do last meeting but decided against as there were only 2/3 people there!
[21:36] mpeel: first, can we chat about the logistics of approving/accepting?
[21:37] AndrewRT: sure
[21:37] mpeel: as in ... approve presumably in camera, then give the list of names approved for the minutes?
[21:37] AndrewRT: how do you suggest we do this?
[21:37] AndrewRT: yes that sounds sensible
[21:37] mpeel: then send notification to the people accepted, saying that they've been approved, but not yet accepted (pending bank account)
[21:38] mpeel: + any that aren't approved, we can start the followup process.
[21:38] Warofdreams: sounds good
[21:38] KTC: sorry, Warofdreams, i'll deal with that
[21:38] AndrewRT: yes I think that's  good idea
[21:39] mpeel: ok, shall we go in camera, then?
[21:39] KTC: sec
[21:39] AndrewRT: yes please
[21:39] AndrewRT: warofdreams?
[21:39] Warofdreams: apparently I'm banned?
[21:39] KTC: sorry
[21:39] AndrewRT: hehe
[21:39] AndrewRT: how'dya manage that?
[21:39] Warofdreams: no idea
[21:40] AndrewRT: shall we try another channel then
[21:40] KTC: Warofdreams, r u idenrified ?
[21:40] Warofdreams: no
[21:40] AndrewRT: ah maybe that then
[21:41] KTC: it is that
[21:41] KTC: and i'll figure out how to unban while we do this
[21:42] Warofdreams: great
[21:42] AndrewRT: right we're moving in camera for a short while to discuss membership apps
[21:50] AndrewRT: ok we're back in the room!
[21:50] AndrewRT: one quick question before we publish the names
[21:51] • KTC testing testing
[21:51] mpeel: AndrewRT: go ahead?
[21:51] AndrewRT: yeah
[21:52] mpeel: what was your question?
[21:52] AndrewRT: you said: mpeel>as in ... approve presumably in camera, then give the list of names approved for the minutes?
[21:52] AndrewRT: should we publish the names of members?
[21:52] AndrewRT: or just say the number of members approved
[21:52] mpeel: the names should be recorded in the minutes
[21:52] KTC: isn't the list of members public record (i.e. can be requested publicly)?
[21:53] AndrewRT: yes it is
[21:53] AndrewRT: but it needs someone to actually request it
[21:53] AndrewRT: this way we're publishing the names on the internet
[21:53] AndrewRT: for everyone to see
[21:53] AndrewRT: is anyone likely to object?
[21:53] KTC: i'll object to any such objection
[21:53] mpeel: if we don't list them in the online minutes, then I'd rather we have a second set of minutes (or master set) elsewhere recording the names.
[21:54] KTC: if it's publicly available, it's publicly available
[21:54] AndrewRT: ok, if everyone's comfortable publishing names, let's do that
[21:54] AndrewRT: over to u mpeel!
[21:55] Warofdreams: KTC: there's a difference between having my details in the electoral roll at the town hall and having them on a billboard in the centre of town.  But I've no strong opinion on this.
[21:55] cfp: yeah sorry i've just woken up
[21:55] cfp: you shouldn't release the names now
[21:56] cfp: because were someone's cheque to bounce
[21:56] mpeel: a further query before listing names; do we want to wait until their cheques have been processed?
[21:56] AndrewRT: yeah that's agood point
[21:56] KTC: i am happy to wait till cheques clear etc
[21:56] cfp: we would then have to say they weren't in fact a member
[21:56] mpeel: erm... as cfp is saying. 
[21:56] cfp: which would be horrible
[21:56] Warofdreams: good point
[21:56] AndrewRT: ok, so pick up in the membership report next time
[21:57] AndrewRT: this time just say 11 people's applications were approved subject to fees being received
[21:57] AndrewRT: ?
[21:57] KTC: *nod*
[21:57] mpeel: For the minutes, the board has approved 11 membership applications, to become members once their membership dues have been received in the company's bank account.
[21:58] AndrewRT: thansk mpeel
[21:58] AndrewRT: onto Membership form?
[21:58] KTC: ok
[21:58] mpeel: any problems with the draft forms that I sent around by email?
[21:58] AndrewRT: I haven't seen it
[21:59] cfp: they seemed fine on a cursorary skim over
[21:59] mpeel: one min: will provide web links.
[21:59] AndrewRT: I'm sure it's fine tho!
[21:59] KTC: same to cfp over here
[21:59] mpeel: http://www.mikepeel.net/temp/wmuk2_application_form_v4_draft.pdf
[21:59] mpeel: main changes: switching to "Wikimedia UK" rather than "Wiki UK Limited" and adding the WMUK logo
[21:59] mpeel: also adding gift aid options
[22:00] mpeel: description text was moved to a second page due to a lack of space on the first page.
[22:00] mpeel: also a new form: http://www.mikepeel.net/temp/wmuk2_gift_aid_donation_form_v1_draft.pdf
[22:00] mpeel: purely for gift aid donations
[22:00] mpeel: either donations without membership applications
[22:00] mpeel: or for members that have already applied
[22:01] mpeel: any comments / questions?
[22:01] AndrewRT: no - looks good
[22:01] AndrewRT: thanks for that
[22:01] mpeel: the changes were fairly major, hence why I wanted to raise them for discussion here first.
[22:03] AndrewRT: thanks for that
[22:04] KTC: next
[22:04] KTC: timetable
[22:05] AndrewRT: are we wantign to update this or wait?
[22:06] KTC: since we have no idea what the bank will be like
[22:06] mpeel: pushing all of the dates back by ~ 2 weeks might be an idea...
[22:06] KTC: we can wait
[22:06] Warofdreams: I think we should wait until we have a firmer idea of what to expect from the Coop
[22:06] AndrewRT: http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Timeline
[22:06] mpeel: I'm happy with waiting, though.
[22:06] Warofdreams: any date we set now will be a stab in the dark
[22:06] AndrewRT: I'd rather we pushed all back by two weeks for now
[22:07] AndrewRT: althoguh I appreciate this isn't very precise
[22:07] Warofdreams: I've not got a problem with that, but we've got no particular reason to think that'll be in any way accurate
[22:07] AndrewRT: cfp?
[22:08] AndrewRT: > Process applications for membership received so far --> should that be today?
[22:09] mpeel: it can be if we split the action into two
[22:09] mpeel: "approve" and "accept"
[22:09] cfp: i don't mind what we do really. i guess pushing it back by a week or two is probably sensible
[22:10] cfp: but i fear the timetable probably lost credibility a long time ago
[22:10] AndrewRT: well, it still gives us an idea and a framework for what we're doing
[22:10] AndrewRT: personally I always expected it to split a bit!
[22:11] AndrewRT: _slip_
[22:11] AndrewRT: ok is this agreed?
[22:11] Warofdreams: it's ok with me
[22:11] AndrewRT: shall i action now?
[22:11] KTC: fine
[22:11] mpeel: what are we agreeing on?
[22:11] mpeel: leaving as is, or updating by 2 weeks?
[22:11] AndrewRT: push all back 2 weeks
[22:12] Warofdreams: except for "Six month deadline for holding AGM", which is getting worryingly close...
[22:12] mpeel: don't push back the chapters meeting either... 
[22:13] mpeel: and eek, 4 may is getting rather close...
[22:13] mpeel: ok, moving on?
[22:14] AndrewRT: http://uk.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Timeline&oldid=2546
[22:14] KTC: yes please
[22:14] KTC: Wikimania bid
[22:15] cfp: i've not done anything on it. voice seddon?
[22:15] Seddon was granted voice by ChanServ.
[22:15] KTC: hello 
[22:15] Seddon: hello
[22:15] AndrewRT: hi Seddon
[22:15] Seddon: right ill make this as quick as possible
[22:15] AndrewRT: how r things going?
[22:16] Seddon: Im expecting news from bt this week
[22:16] Seddon: and for all those that dont know, there is new progress being made with the DowJones news corps (ball was started rolling with andrew on that one)
[22:17] AndrewRT: quote from them:
[22:17] Seddon: Im looking to set up a budget committee to formulate a budget for the bid
[22:17] Seddon: volunteers for that are needed
[22:17] AndrewRT: "Today I had a call with EMEA Marketing Team inside Dow Jones and said even if we buy nothing more than the biscuits for your event we’d be insane as a company not to be there in 2010 at this Global Wikipedia Event
[22:18] AndrewRT: This from a marketing guy at Dow Jones
[22:18] AndrewRT: Budget committee - what role should the Board have on this?
[22:19] AndrewRT: i.e. should it be appointed by the Board?
[22:19] AndrewRT: any views Seddon?
[22:19] Seddon: i intend for the commitee to be somewhat unofficial for the time being
[22:19] Seddon: if we win the bid then official committee will need to be formed
[22:19] Seddon: treasurer will need to be kept in the loop
[22:20] AndrewRT: ok
[22:20] Seddon: given the role that i have assumed wikimedia uk will be playing the handling of funds
[22:20] AndrewRT: I imagined the event would be "run" by WMUK is that what you thought?
[22:21] Seddon: yes pretty much
[22:21] AndrewRT: i.e. halls booked in our name etc
[22:21] AndrewRT: how many people did you want on this budget cmte?
[22:21] Seddon: im looking to have 5-6 people, the more there are, the less work there will be to do
[22:22] Seddon: but i need to know which people i can appraoch to give tasks to
[22:22] AndrewRT: how many people have come forward so far?
[22:22] AndrewRT: did i volunteer?
[22:22] Seddon: i have probably had about 4-5 people say in some shape or form that they might be able to help
[22:23] Seddon: no you havnt not yet 
[22:23] AndrewRT: ok, well I suppose i should!
[22:23] Seddon: good good
[22:23] AndrewRT: any other directors volunteered so far?
[22:24] Seddon: KTC cant, mpeel might be able to give small amounts of time, WoD has said he can help, havnt asked cfp yet
[22:24] AndrewRT: cfp i know you're busy but cld u do this?
[22:25] AndrewRT: even if u dont attend all the time may be useful to have the Treas on board
[22:25] cfp: i'll attend the meetings i guess
[22:25] cfp: but i can't afford the time to be that active
[22:25] cfp: sorry seddon (et al.)
[22:25] Seddon: no worries  ill do as much as i can
[22:25] AndrewRT: WarofDreams u still ok to help with this?
[22:27] Warofdreams: I've said I'm happy to help with some enquiries; I don't remember a committee being mentioned, but provided there aren't many meetings, I guess it'd be ok
[22:27] • Seddon apologies for lack of clear communication
[22:27] AndrewRT: thanks WarofDreams
[22:27] AndrewRT: Seddon are u ok then with cfp, me, wod on the cmte
[22:27] Seddon: it will be more that ill get people to do something, report back to me and ill compile the whole thing
[22:27] AndrewRT: with your 4 other volunteers
[22:28] Seddon: *counted some of those in with the count*
[22:28] Seddon: but yes
[22:28] AndrewRT: can u take the lead on organising things?
[22:28] Seddon: thats fantastic
[22:28] AndrewRT: arrange meetings etc
[22:28] Seddon: yep
[22:28] AndrewRT: report back to us
[22:28] AndrewRT: etc
[22:28] Seddon: i will try and have them coincide with board meetings
[22:28] AndrewRT: great thanks
[22:28] Seddon: one last thing
[22:28] Warofdreams: great
[22:29] AndrewRT: if they're at the same time as Board mtgs, how will directors contribute?
[22:29] Seddon: well discussion has been going on reasonably well in the #wikimania-oxford channel anyway
[22:29] AndrewRT: ok
[22:29] Seddon: it wont be a huge commitment
[22:29] AndrewRT: slows the board meeting down thats all
[22:30] AndrewRT: people multitasking..
[22:30] Seddon: i understand, ill try and cover as much as possible via email
[22:30] AndrewRT: the other way is to alternative - on week wikimania, other week Board meeting
[22:30] AndrewRT: _one week_
[22:31] KTC: that might be too much for those on both
[22:31] AndrewRT: ok
[22:31] Warofdreams: are we ready for AOCB?
[22:31] Seddon: one last thing
[22:31] AndrewRT: Seddon is there anythgin else?
[22:31] AndrewRT: yep?
[22:32] Seddon: press releases (articles) , i know we discussed it last week but upon reflection i think that wikimania having its own articles would be better
[22:32] Seddon: simply because it avoids it looking like its just piggy backing on the chapter
[22:32] Seddon: it should really be standing on its own two feet
[22:33] Seddon: getting in touch with the bbc tech news might be a good idea for initial releases
[22:33] AndrewRT: I'm fine with that
[22:33] Seddon: these dont have to be done as a chapter as such
[22:33] AndrewRT: are you happy to organise those?
[22:34] Seddon: i was hoping someone with a little more experiance with dealing with press than me
[22:34] Seddon: if it was at all possible
[22:34] AndrewRT: ok I could take that as an action
[22:34] Seddon: i have had well, none
[22:34] Seddon: ok thanks very much
[22:34] AndrewRT: I think I had an action from last meeting but it got lost...
[22:34] AndrewRT: WarofDreams could you minute that pls?
[22:34] Warofdreams: will do.
[22:35] AndrewRT: ok thanks Seddon
[22:35] KTC: AOCB ?
[22:35] AndrewRT: none from me
[22:35] Warofdreams: yes, thanks Seddon.
[22:35] KTC: there's an item listed in the agenda
[22:35] Warofdreams: 11.1 HBOS Social Entrepreneur awards
[22:35] KTC: more for the minutes i guess
[22:35] KTC: it was mentioned in the email list
[22:35] AndrewRT: anythgin for teh Board to action?
[22:36] KTC: we'r not going for it, so not really
[22:36] Warofdreams: next meeting?
[22:36] KTC: but wikipedia for schools might or might not want a word of recommdation or two
[22:36] KTC: right, next meeting
[22:37] KTC: next week i guess ?
[22:37] AndrewRT: i sugget a fortnight
[22:37] AndrewRT: bank accoutn wont be open in a week
[22:37] AndrewRT: and we've got lots of actions to get through!
[22:37] AndrewRT: I'd rather be working on those than having a meeting 
[22:37] KTC: ok
[22:37] Warofdreams: Mon 2 or Tue 3 March?
[22:38] mpeel: either is fine with me
[22:38] AndrewRT: eithers fine for me
[22:38] Warofdreams: and with me, too
[22:38] AndrewRT: preference for tuesdays now as I'm in London most Mondays
[22:38] KTC: cfp?
[22:39] cfp: i still have a preference for mondays
[22:39] cfp: but whatever.
[22:39] cfp: let me check my calendar
[22:40] cfp: either's fine
[22:40] cfp: a fortnight is certainly better than a week
[22:40] cfp: (monday still preferred)
[22:40] AndrewRT: mpeel, KTC, WarofDreams any preference for Mon or Tues?
[22:40] Warofdreams: no preference.
[22:40] mpeel: I'm fine with either day.
[22:40] KTC: i can flip a coin...
[22:40] cfp: how about we alternate?
[22:41] AndrewRT: sounds fair
[22:41] KTC: or we can alternate 
[22:41] AndrewRT: Monday 2nd it is
[22:41] cfp: thanks andrew.
[22:41] KTC: right, the end. 
[22:41] AndrewRT: cheers everyone
[22:41] AndrewRT: very productive meeting!
[22:41] Warofdreams: yes, cheers.
[22:41] KTC: goodbye everyone

#wikimedia-uk

[20:18] Tango42 is now known as Tango42_away.
[20:20] cfp joined the chat room.
[20:21] Seddon joined the chat room.
[20:21] Seddon: i cut it a little close today
[20:21] KTC: we not started yet, it's alright
[20:21] KTC: hi 
[20:21] Seddon: hey KTC 
[20:26] Seddon: could everyone congregate in the oxford wikimania channel whilst the boar meeting is going on
[20:26] warofdreams joined the chat room.
[20:26] KTC: would be easier if you had typed the name out so i can just click on it 
[20:27] Seddon: its in the channel topic 
[20:32] andrewrt joined the chat room.
[20:33] Tango42_away is now known as Tango42.
[20:33] Warofdreams: board meeting is starting now in #wikimedia-uk-board
[20:35] AndrewRT: any comments on the minutes at http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetings/2009-02-10?
[20:45] KTC: has he applied to join yet? *look at Tango42* 
[20:45] Tango42: Yes, I sent in the form!
[20:45] Tango42: I even got a form-email in response
[20:46] KTC:
[20:46] AndrewRT: wahey!
[20:46] AndrewRT: well done Tango42!
[20:46] Tango42: If there is a board member that can go, that would probably be better - it does look better if we send someone important!
[20:47] • KTC try to look important.... and fail
[20:47] KTC:
[20:47] Tango42: You're chair - you're as important as it gets!
[20:48] mpeel: Tango42: you tend to have a lot more opinions on things than I do, so I figure you'd be the better person to send...
[20:49] Tango42: Some may consider that a bad thing!
[20:49] Tango42: My diplomacy skills aren't particularly renowned...
[20:49] AndrewRT: hehe
[20:49] Seddon: I should be able to go if there isnt anyone who wants/can go
[20:49] Tango42: (well, I can be diplomatic if I try, I just rarely do!)
[20:51] Tango42: Incidentally - why is the board meeting being delayed further? Did I miss something, or was the delay not announced?
[20:51] AndrewRT: huh?
[20:51] mpeel: you mean the agm?
[20:51] AndrewRT: ah i c
[20:51] mpeel: bank account delays...
[20:51] AndrewRT: all will become apparent later!
[20:51] Tango42: sorry, yeah, agm
[20:51] Tango42: agm/board election - I mixed the two!
[20:53] Tango42: I think we should send a board member if we can. If we can honestly say no board members are available, then I doubt anyone would mind, but it doesn't look great if the board could go but would rather not.
[20:54] AndrewRT: I agree
[20:59] AndrewRT: Seddon - would you be able to write a couple of sentences on Wikimania for the newsletter?
[21:00] Warofdreams: http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Newsletter/February2009
[21:00] Seddon: yep 
[21:00] Warofdreams: fantastic - thanks
[21:00] AndrewRT: cheers! 
[21:00] Warofdreams: if you can write it by Sunday, that'd be great.
[21:10] KTC: Tango42, answer to your earlier question soon
[21:10] Tango42:
[21:13] • Tango42 watches the tumbleweed passing by...
[21:14] • Seddon snipers Tango42
[21:14] • Tango42 was wearing armour
[21:14] KTC: it was to the head 
[21:14] Tango42: I was a scout - I'm always prepared!
[21:14] • Tango42 was wearing it on his head - it's called a helmet!
[21:15] • Seddon uses 50 cal armour piercing rounds
[21:15] • Tango42 ducks
[21:15] KTC: helmet don't stop direct hit from a high power rifle
[21:15] cfp left the chat room. (kubrick.freenode.net irc.freenode.net)
[21:15] KTC: more for sharpnals (sp)
[21:15] Tango42: you don't have good enough helmets, then!
[21:15] KTC: and glancing blow
[21:16] Tango42: An inch of depleted uranium - takes more than a mere bullet to get through that!
[21:16] mpeel: If this is on topic, then I'm starting to get very worried...
[21:17] Topic changed to "Discussion of Wikimedia UK http://uk.wikimedia.org | Discuss the Oxford Wikimania 2010 bid in #wikimania-oxford | Bidding has started, please get to work on the bid page | Next WMUK board meeting is Tuesday 17 February at 8.30pm UTC in #wikimedia-uk-board | This channel will be publicly logged during board meetings | Sniper rifle armour requirements" by Tango42.
[21:17] KTC: lmao
[21:17] • mpeel runs for the hills
[21:17] KTC: more seriously, anyone any questions on that summary ?
[21:18] Tango42: I'm wondering if it wouldn't have been easier to arrange a meeting and actually explain to them what we are...
[21:18] Topic changed to "Discussion of Wikimedia UK http://uk.wikimedia.org | Discuss the Oxford Wikimania 2010 bid in #wikimania-oxford | Bidding has started, please get to work on the bid page | Next WMUK board meeting is Tuesday 17 February at 8.30pm UTC in #wikimedia-uk-board | This channel will be publicly logged during board meetings | Start paying attention in #wikimania-oxford for Sniper rifle armour requirements" by Seddon.
[21:18] Tango42: if they think we need permission to open a bank account, they really don't understand
[21:18] Seddon:
[21:19] AndrewRT: they dont and they're idiots, but what can we do?
[21:19] Topic changed to "Discussion of Wikimedia UK http://uk.wikimedia.org | Discuss the Oxford Wikimania 2010 bid in #wikimania-oxford | Bidding has started, please get to work on the bid page | Next WMUK board meeting is Tuesday 17 February at 8.30pm UTC in #wikimedia-uk-board | This channel will be publicly logged during board meetings | Start paying attention in #wikimania-oxford or you'll need Sniper rifle armour requirements" by Tango42.
[21:19] Tango42: fixed it for you
[21:19] Seddon: much better
[21:19] Tango42: We can meet them in person and explain
[21:19] Topic changed to "Discussion of Wikimedia UK http://uk.wikimedia.org | Discuss the Oxford Wikimania 2010 bid in #wikimania-oxford | Bidding has started, please get to work on the bid page | Next WMUK board meeting is Tuesday 17 February at 8.30pm UTC in #wikimedia-uk-board | This channel will be publicly logged during board meetings | Start paying attention in #wikimania-oxford or you'll need Sniper rifle armour" by Seddon.
[21:21] cfp joined the chat room.
[21:22] Tango42: I'm concerned that even if they do accept this latest letter, if we don't get them to understand what we are then we'll end up with no end of problems in the future. I think a face-to-face meeting (or a change of bank) is required.
[21:22] AndrewRT: yeah you may be right
[21:23] Warofdreams: The problem I've had with the Coop in the past is that they don't really do face-to-face meetings with businesses.  We might be able to get one, but everything is handled by their head office in Warrington
[21:23] AndrewRT: I'm in Manc next Monday so I wonder if I could meet them then
[21:24] Tango42: They must hold meetings sometimes - do arrange loans and stuff. You don't lend someone lots of money without actually meeting them.
[21:24] mpeel: AndrewRT: if you do, then I'd be willing to come along if I can be of help, depending on the time of the meeting.
[21:24] AndrewRT: yeah good idea
[21:26] Warofdreams: Tango: I'm sure that they must hold meetings under some circumstances, but I've worked for an organisation which increased its overdraft substantially without meeting anyone in person
[21:28] Tango42: Yeah, but for loans to buy a new factory or something, they must do face-to-face meetings
[21:28] AndrewRT: ud think wouldn't you!
[21:28] mpeel: we're not quite in that league, though, so even if they did face-to-face meetings for that we might no tquality...
[21:28] mpeel: *not qualify
[21:29] Warofdreams: surely they must
[21:29] Tango42: If we nag them enough, we would qualify!
[21:32] Seddon: we havnt done anything charitable yet have we ?
[21:32] mpeel: WLA
[21:32] Seddon: oooo yer
[21:33] AndrewRT: and Wikimania
[21:33] Seddon: and supporting wikipedia for schools
[21:33] mpeel: I dunno if the copyright consultation counts...
[21:33] mpeel: we supporter the schools wikipedia?
[21:33] AndrewRT: yes I wasn't sure on that
[21:33] mpeel: * supported
[21:33] Seddon: we are supporting*
[21:33] Seddon: present tense
[21:33] Tango42: are we? what have we done with it?
[21:33] Seddon: given the dude is on our mailing list and we offered support
[21:33] Seddon: im sure that must count somewhere
[21:33] Seddon:
[21:33] Tango42: lol
[21:33] AndrewRT: the dude being?
[21:34] Seddon: the dude who is heading it up in the UK
[21:34] Tango42: I remembering offering criticism of their GFDL compliance... I don't remember giving support...
[21:34] • Seddon makes a joke to AndrewRT of Seddon being "We"
[21:34] KTC: the dude being andrew cates
[21:35] AndrewRT: you're part of Wikimedia UK aren't you?
[21:35] mpeel: Seddon: will you be applying for membership? (I don't think you have yet, have you?)
[21:35] AndrewRT: hehe
[21:35] Seddon: mpeel: I will be yes, im waiting for the bank account right now 
[21:35] mpeel: fair enough. 
[21:36] Seddon: as soon as there is an account the form will be sent with a cheaque
[21:36] AndrewRT: we can accept cheques now u know
[21:38] Seddon: yes but they cant be cashed and in the event the whole thing goes tits up i cant be bothered trying to fanny around canceling cheques
[21:38] Seddon: its much less hassle no matter what happens 
[21:38] AndrewRT: yeah i suppose so
[21:42] Tango42: oh, hang on:
[21:42] Tango42: CABAL! CABAL! CABAL!
[21:42] Tango42: sorry, wasn't paying attention
[21:42] mpeel:
[21:43] Warofdreams: what's the point of being in the cabal if no-one pays attention? 
[21:43] AndrewRT: i was waiting for that!
[21:43] • Seddon doesnt pay attention to anything
[21:48] Tango42: What's taking so long? No-one controversial has applied, have they? (Is there anyone controversial? We're a pretty easy going bunch...)
[21:49] Warofdreams: should be back very soon now
[21:49] KTC: no, just normal irc reply delay
[21:49] J_Milburn joined the chat room.
[21:54] mpeel: anyone want to comment on publishing names of members?
[21:54] Seddon: what happened to members not being accepted till cheques cleared?
[21:54] Tango42: surely you already have a 2nd set of minutes somewhere for the various in camera discussions you've had?
[21:54] Tango42: Those should all have been minuted.
[21:55] AndrewRT: no
[21:55] Seddon: ^
[21:55] AndrewRT: the minuted decisions have all been repeated in the public channels
[21:55] mpeel: they're being approved only. Acceptance comes once their dues are paid.
[21:55] AndrewRT: discussions have been private, no decisions have been made in private
[21:55] Seddon: mpeel ok cool, thanks for clearing that up
[21:56] Tango42: discussions ought to be minuted too, really, at least to some extent
[21:57] AndrewRT: it depends
[21:57] Tango42: in that case, you certainly need to minute the private discussion
[21:57] AndrewRT: sometimes in the future we may have to privately minute decisions or discussions
[21:57] AndrewRT: so far we haven't had to
[21:58] Warofdreams: I can't remember any discussions we've had in camera which, if we'd had it publicly, I'd bother noting anything in the minutes about, other than the decisions which are already in the minutes
[21:58] Warofdreams: did that make any sense?
[21:59] Tango42: yeah, it made sense
[21:59] Tango42: but the discussion you just had involved decisions
[21:59] Tango42: that needs minuting
[21:59] Warofdreams: cool.  well, I'm not keen to have substantive discussions in camera, but of course it might prove necessary
[21:59] Warofdreams: Tango: yes, that one will.
[22:02] AndrewRT: Tango42 - what did you have in mind?
[22:02] AndrewRT: all the names will be recorded in the Register of Members anyway
[22:02] Tango42: only once they are actually members
[22:02] Tango42: you need to minute the approval
[22:03] Tango42: all decisions need to be in the minutes, even if they will be recorded somewhere else later
[22:03] AndrewRT: that's already been done in the public minutes
[22:03] AndrewRT: [21:57]<mpeel>For the minutes, the board has approved 11 membership applications, to become members once their membership dues have been received in the company's bank account.
[22:03] Tango42: you noted the number, not the people
[22:03] Tango42: the decision was to approve a certain list of names. You can't minute that decision without including the list of names.
[22:04] mpeel: all people have a membership number associated with them. Would you be happy with this being minuted, rather than the names?
[22:04] AndrewRT: Teh requirements for Board minutes are generally not very presecritive
[22:04] mpeel: with names coming later, once the applications have been fully accepted.
[22:04] AndrewRT: so a company is free to decide what it wants to minute
[22:04] AndrewRT: I'm happy with the records that Mike keeps being sufficient for now
[22:05] Tango42: you have to minute all decisions by law - you need to say what the decision was for it to be minuted
[22:05] Tango42: I don't see the problem with having proper minutes which include everything and then just publishing redacted versions
[22:07] AndrewRT: there's no problem with that, except it's more paperwork
[22:08] Warofdreams: A thought: couldn't we have an annexe, referred to in the minutes, listing the names?  Then publish everything but the annexe online
[22:09] AndrewRT: yes not a bad idea
[22:09] AndrewRT: although I suggest mpeel keeps it with the membership records rather than me keeping it with the minutes
[22:09] Tango42: The minutes need to be a complete record of all decisions made in the meeting
[22:10] Tango42: There should probably be a hard copy of the minutes kept somewhere anyway - is the online version the only copy?
[22:10] Seddon: i agree with cfp's point but i think its something that should be kept and updated
[22:11] AndrewRT: yes good point TAngo42 - I should probably keep an offline copy
[22:11] AndrewRT: in case the webiste crashes or something!
[22:11] Tango42: Yeah - I use computers far too much to trust them with anything important
[22:11] Tango42: everything important should be printed out, hole punched and put in a file
[22:12] mpeel: you don't believe in paperless offices, then?
[22:12] KTC: bit hard when that important thing is a computer program, or a encrypted file 
[22:12] Seddon: I have been meaning to ask, i was gonna make pdf versions of the MoA and AoA
[22:12] Seddon: nice looking pretty ones 
[22:13] Tango42: no, paperless offices are great for day-to-day stuff, permanent records should be more permanent wherever possible
[22:13] Seddon: and tbh made pdf versions of alot of pages
[22:13] Tango42: computer programs are a bit tricky. Encrypted documents are easy - just put the print out in a locked box!
[22:14] mpeel: AndrewRT: don't you have pdf versions of the MoA and AoA already?
[22:14] Warofdreams: regular offsite back-ups are important
[22:14] AndrewRT: yes I do
[22:14] mpeel: could you upload them to the wiki at some point, please?
[22:14] AndrewRT: sure
[22:15] mpeel: thanks
[22:20] Tango42: That's assuming we have a bank account by 2010 
[22:21] AndrewRT: dont!
[22:21] Tango42: We need to ask WMF about that, I guess - they may want things in their name
[22:21] AndrewRT: yeah that's true
[22:23] Tango42: I'd like things to be in our name, but that's mostly because I'm power hungry!
[22:23] KTC: Tango42, do you want to think about opening a bank? at the rate things are, it might be easier. 
[22:23] Tango42: you want to do away with the idea of an account completely and just open our own bank? It might be easier, yes... 
[22:23] Warofdreams: there seems to be a gap in the market for a solvent bank 
[22:23] Tango42: indeed
[22:24] Tango42: the treasurer has to volunteer for the budget cmte if he hasn't already - it's obligatory!
[22:25] Tango42: at the very least, there ought to be a board liason
[22:26] Seddon: Tango42: my plans for world domination is after the AGM, forming a dedicated wikimania director position
[22:27] Tango42: Yeah, I think with the board being expanded to 7 there should certainly be someone assigned to wikimani
[22:27] Tango42: a
[22:28] mpeel: definitely
[22:28] Tango42: I think the extra 2 positions should be a wikimania-organiser-type-person (better job title TBD!) and a trustee w/o portfolio (it's useful to have someone to give misc. tasks to)
[22:29] KTC: sounds like the chair 
[22:29] mpeel: another possibility is having someone looking after the website
[22:29] mpeel: as a nominal job
[22:29] mpeel: or as a projects organizer.
[22:29] Tango42: mpeel: That comes under comms
[22:30] Tango42: the chair has lots of important chairing stuff to do, though
[22:30] Tango42: I see the chair as having an oversight role, as well - keeping an eye on everything and making sure people pull their weight
[22:31] Tango42: The chair is also the person in overall charge (in the absence of a paid CEO), so there is work related to that (not much at the moment, but certainly would be if we had staff)
[22:35] AndrewRT: Seddon - when does the bid end?
[22:35] Seddon: 31st March essentially
[22:35] Seddon: then its jury questioning i think
[22:36] Seddon: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2010/Bids/Timeline
[22:37] AndrewRT: thanks
[22:42] KTC left the chat room. ("Leaving")