Meetings/2009-04-20/IRC

From Wikimedia UK
Jump to navigation Jump to search

#wikimedia-uk-board

[20:41] KTC: okie
[20:41] KTC: http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetings/2009-04-20/Agenda
[20:41] KTC: http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetings/2009-04-14
[20:41] KTC: http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetings/2009-04-18
[20:42] KTC: any idea whether cfp is coming ?
[20:42] mpeel: he said last meeting that he wouldn't be able to make this
[20:43] KTC: thanks for reminding
[20:43] KTC: # Minutes of Meeting dated 2009-04-14 ?
[20:43] AndrewRT: I@m happy with minutes of 14th
[20:43] mpeel: minutes look fine
[20:44] Warofdreams: 3.3 Notice - "No new notice have been sent as cheque have yet been cleared."
[20:44] AndrewRT: 18th: "The board approved two additional membership applications." should that be "subject to payment clearing"?
[20:44] Warofdreams: is that plural or singular?
[20:44] mpeel: actions are slightly confusing when read on their own, but so long as the description is read they mostly make sense... 
[20:44] mpeel: should be "notices have"
[20:44] mpeel: 2 cheques
[20:44] KTC: then cheque -> cheques ?
[20:44] mpeel: yup
[20:44] mpeel: "yet to be cleared" too
[20:45] Warofdreams: I'll change to "notices have" and "cheques"
[20:45] AndrewRT: >3.3 Notice - "No new notices have been sent as cheques have yet to clear."
[20:45] Warofdreams: nothing wrong with "yet to clear"
[20:46] KTC: anything else ?
[20:46] AndrewRT: I've added "ACTION: AT" to AGM Agenda
[20:46] AndrewRT: http://uk.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Meetings%2F2009-04-18&diff=3356&oldid=3291
[20:46] Warofdreams: I've made a couple of minor changes to 3.2
[20:47] mpeel: action AT to do what?
[20:47] AndrewRT: I'm happy with both now
[20:47] AndrewRT: AGM agenda (AT)
[20:47] AndrewRT: Draft agenda has been sent around to the board. Time of board report to be changed to 15:45. Agenda to be sent out publically.
[20:47] AndrewRT: ACTION: AT
[20:47] KTC: that's 20th one he's talking about
[20:47] AndrewRT: > Agenda to be sent out publically. ACTION: AT
[20:48] mpeel: I keep reading the action items on their own, and getting very confused.... 
[20:48] KTC: um, i meant 18th
[20:48] KTC: ok?
[20:49] AndrewRT: mpeel do you want any more changes?
[20:49] mpeel: one small one I'll make directly...
[20:50] mpeel: http://uk.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Meetings%2F2009-04-14&diff=3361&oldid=3359
[20:50] mpeel: am happy
[20:50] AndrewRT: good me too 
[20:51] AndrewRT: actions?
[20:51] KTC: yeah go
[20:51] AndrewRT: ACTION: AT to confirm booking with kro-bar.
[20:51] AndrewRT: spoke to them today
[20:51] AndrewRT: booking is confirmed from 12 till 6:30
[20:52] AndrewRT: so we can have a board meetign after as well 
[20:52] AndrewRT: I've spoken to them about tea/coffee etc
[20:52] AndrewRT: arranged for pots of tea/coffee for up to 15 people
[20:52] KTC: that's later in the agneda but okay
[20:52] AndrewRT: cakes, snacks, other drinks can be bought on the day
[20:52] AndrewRT: _arranged on the day_
[20:53] mpeel: what was the cost?
[20:53] AndrewRT: £22
[20:53] AndrewRT: pots had to be pre-ordered - all rest can be arranged on the day
[20:53] AndrewRT: £1.50 per person
[20:53] mpeel: that seems reasonable
[20:54] AndrewRT: all ok with this?
[20:54] Warofdreams: sounds good to me
[20:54] AndrewRT: ACTION: MP to send [AGM] notice to any new members
[20:54] mpeel: I've sent it around to the three new members
[20:55] mpeel: ... 'though sending it to our teller seemed a little  circular. 
[20:55] AndrewRT:
[20:55] AndrewRT: at least he knows the system is working!
[20:55] AndrewRT: have you send the notice of candidates round too?
[20:56] mpeel: that's a good point...
[20:56] AndrewRT: Action MP?
[20:56] mpeel: my apologies: I just sent the notice of candidates, not the notice of the AGM
[20:57] mpeel: as soon as I find the latter, I'll send it on...
[20:57] KTC: Website - Bugs (KTC, MP) ?
[20:57] AndrewRT: ACTION: KTC to contact WMF [re website bugs]
[20:57] mpeel: website bugs are done
[20:58] KTC: after i reassign the buzilla's bugs to the IT manager
[20:58] KTC: he did it the next day
[20:58] mpeel: I was poking the appropriate people at the same time... 
[20:58] AndrewRT:
[20:58] KTC: one of them didn't seem to be working at the start, but Tango pointed it out
[20:58] KTC: and it was fixed
[20:59] mpeel: I still need to liaise with James F about the domains
[20:59] mpeel: will try to do that in the next week or so...
[21:00] KTC: HMRC charity status (AT)
[21:00] AndrewRT: I've got an email back from my MP
[21:00] AndrewRT: I've forwarded it round to Board members
[21:00] AndrewRT: h still hasn't heard back from HMRC
[21:00] cfp joined the chat room.
[21:00] cfp was granted voice by ChanServ.
[21:00] AndrewRT: will let you know as soon as I hear any more
[21:00] AndrewRT: hi Tom
[21:00] KTC: hello cfp
[21:01] cfp: hi i've got my phone working as a modem for my laptop. have to get a train in 15 mins though
[21:01] mpeel: his letter's probably in the pile that takes 6 weeks to open.
[21:01] cfp: is there anything you urgently need me for?
[21:02] KTC: AndrewRT, mpeel, Warofdreams  ?
[21:02] mpeel: items with your name on seem to be Treasurer's Report and Wikimania bid
[21:02] mpeel: not sure that either of those count as urgent...
[21:02] AndrewRT: nothing I can think of
[21:02] AndrewRT: anythign on here http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetings/2009-04-20/Agenda
[21:02] Warofdreams: nothing I can think of
[21:02] AndrewRT: you want to speak to cfp?
[21:03] AndrewRT: Any comments on the Board report?
[21:03] AndrewRT: shall we just work through the agenda then?
[21:04] KTC: ok
[21:04] KTC: # Wikimania press releases (AT)
[21:04] KTC: # Wikipedia (and other WMF's) trademark (AT)
[21:04] cfp: haven't had a look at it yet. sounds like i'm not urgently needed.
[21:04] AndrewRT: Wikimania - still no news I take it?
[21:04] cfp: not that i've seen
[21:04] KTC: <Seddon> i have been told 1 week
[21:04] KTC: <Warofdreams> from now, or from the original deadline?
[21:04] KTC: <Seddon> from now
[21:04] KTC: non official
[21:05] Warofdreams: frustratingly, it sounds as though we may not hear until after the AGM
[21:05] AndrewRT: right - I'll action myself to do press release
[21:05] AndrewRT: # Wikipedia (and other WMF's) trademark (AT)
[21:05] AndrewRT: not done yet either I'm afraid!
[21:05] Warofdreams: in which case, the session will have to cover both what happens if we get the bid, and what to do if we don't
[21:05] mpeel: KTC: when was that?
[21:06] mpeel: ah; nm, just found it in #wikimedia-uk
[21:06] KTC: *nod*
[21:06] AndrewRT: Warofdreams: yeah that's fine
[21:07] AndrewRT: shall we move on?
[21:07] Warofdreams: AGM preparation - signage
[21:08] Warofdreams: I've just sent around draft signage
[21:08] Warofdreams: I'm happy to print this off and bring it, but someone who's been to the venue should check that it covers everything we need
[21:09] Warofdreams: Also, any comments on the design or layout are welcome
[21:09] AndrewRT: mpeel?
[21:09] cfp: ok i've got to go get my train. phone if you need me for some reason.
[21:09] cfp: sorry
[21:09] AndrewRT: cheers cfp
[21:09] cfp left the chat room. (Remote closed the connection)
[21:09] mpeel: I'll check it when I see it...
[21:10] AndrewRT: > ACTION MP to contact union,
[21:10] Warofdreams: Great.  If anyone has any suggestions, please pass them on ASAP, and by Thursday night at the latest so I can print easily
[21:11] KTC: um, sent round the design to who? board@
[21:11] KTC: ?
[21:11] Warofdreams: yep
[21:11] KTC: okay, haven't got the email yet
[21:11] AndrewRT: >> AT to contact venue and James.
[21:11] AndrewRT: done as before
[21:11] AndrewRT: James is fine with that
[21:11] Warofdreams: hmm - I sent it at 20:50
[21:11] mpeel: "MP to contact union" - will do so at the end of this week
[21:11] AndrewRT: thanks
[21:12] mpeel: board@ address can be a little slow sometimes
[21:12] AndrewRT: > ACTION: MP to process new members. AT to contact candidates.
[21:13] mpeel: I need to take 2 cheques into the co-op bank asap, but this relies on finding the local co-op bank...
[21:13] Warofdreams: where are you?
[21:14] mpeel: currently, at a conference in Hatfield.
[21:14] KTC: AndrewRT, r u @ 10.1 of the agenda ? 
[21:14] AndrewRT: I did contact Zeyi and Steve - but this is out of date now
[21:14] Warofdreams: nearest branch is 3/7 Market Street, Watford, WD18 0PB
[21:14] AndrewRT: I'm getting confused I'm at 7 of the minutes of 14th
[21:14] Warofdreams: also a branch at 2/6 Alma Street, Luton, LU1 2PL, and lots in London
[21:15] KTC: i know, i move the matter arising to 10.1 as it's part of membership
[21:15] KTC:
[21:15] mpeel: soon as I get the chance, I'll drive to the nearest one
[21:15] KTC: #Chapters email list (AT) ? for the record?
[21:15] mpeel: hopefully tomorrow midday.
[21:15] AndrewRT: yes done
[21:16] KTC: Chapter grants (AT)
[21:16] AndrewRT: I've put together the start of a draft
[21:16] AndrewRT: http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Projects/Bid
[21:17] AndrewRT: deadline tomorrow right?
[21:17] mpeel: yes
[21:17] Warofdreams: no time given, so I guess midnight
[21:17] AndrewRT: can I finish off tonight and email round?
[21:18] mpeel: what's the entry "Travel" that's not associated with a project?
[21:18] AndrewRT: its associated with the top profject
[21:18] AndrewRT: I'll change it to clarify
[21:18] mpeel: time is probably ~ midnight in the US timezone, so 8am wednesday, but getting it in earlier would be better... 
[21:19] KTC: wikimedia operate in GMT 
[21:19] AndrewRT: shall we work on it now or leave it til later?
[21:19] Warofdreams: I doubt they'll be incredibly strict on the deadline, but we may as well make sure we make it
[21:19] KTC: draft by committee don't really work...
[21:20] AndrewRT: ok I'll finish it off and email round then
[21:20] AndrewRT: anyone fancy volunteering to help?
[21:21] AndrewRT: take that as a no! 
[21:21] KTC: brb - just carry on
[21:21] AndrewRT: shall we move onto newsletter then?
[21:21] Warofdreams: we've got a decision to make
[21:21] Warofdreams: do we want to get it out before the AGM, or wait for the Wikimania announcement?
[21:21] AndrewRT: well it was going to be timined with the announcement
[21:22] Warofdreams: timinied?
[21:22] AndrewRT: _timed_
[21:22] Warofdreams: ah, yes
[21:22] AndrewRT: how have we got on?
[21:23] AndrewRT: http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Newsletter/April2009
[21:23] Warofdreams: I haven't yet contacted people who might write the meet-ups section
[21:23] Warofdreams: and will action myself to do that
[21:23] KTC: well, if we might hear in a week or so time
[21:24] KTC: then maybe wait till after?
[21:24] Warofdreams: otherwise, I'm going to repeat the reminder - please write your sections!
[21:24] AndrewRT: should we send out pre-AGM
[21:24] AndrewRT: to encourage attendence
[21:24] AndrewRT: or is it too late for that?
[21:24] AndrewRT: or send out post-AGM to announce new board?
[21:24] AndrewRT: plus Wikimania
[21:25] mpeel: sending it out pre-AGM would be best
[21:25] mpeel: it'll take the new board a while to get organized, I'd guess
[21:25] mpeel: so they could do a newsletter for May... 
[21:25] KTC: printed copy for AGM ?
[21:25] Warofdreams: I wouldn't say it's too late, but if it's going out pre-AGM, it should be out by Thursday really, to give people a chance to decide to come
[21:25] AndrewRT: can we do that?
[21:26] AndrewRT: mpeel?
[21:26] AndrewRT: can you do chap meet write up?
[21:26] mpeel: I'm traveling back on thursday, so probably won't get chance to send the newsletter around before friday.
[21:26] mpeel: I'll try to do the chapt meet write up soon...
[21:26] Warofdreams: Friday morning?
[21:26] mpeel: maybe...more likely the evening
[21:26] Seddon_ joined the chat room.
[21:27] Seddon left the chat room. (Nick collision from services.)
[21:27] Seddon_ left the chat room.
[21:27] Seddon joined the chat room.
[21:27] AndrewRT: so, it's either fri eveving or next week post-AGM
[21:27] AndrewRT: any preference?
[21:28] KTC: nope
[21:28] Warofdreams: well, we can get it out on list on Thursday, and could c+p it around then
[21:28] AndrewRT: warofdreams?
[21:28] Warofdreams: It'll be quite a bit of work to get it out before the AGM.  Will it be worthwhile?  I'm not sure
[21:29] Warofdreams: It might spur more people to come, or it might have no effect
[21:29] AndrewRT: I'd rather leave till after
[21:29] AndrewRT: got lots to do before - chapter grant, AGM stuff, Board report
[21:29] Warofdreams: We can always send a reminder about the AGM around to the same lists and names
[21:30] AndrewRT: well they had one with the March one
[21:30] AndrewRT: I think we're ok to just leave till next week
[21:30] Warofdreams: fine with me
[21:30] mpeel: ok
[21:31] AndrewRT: Treasurer's Report
[21:31] mpeel: no cfp...
[21:31] AndrewRT: nothing from me
[21:31] AndrewRT: Membership Report (MP)
[21:32] AndrewRT: atually sorry
[21:32] AndrewRT: can we do Board report under "9. Secs report"
[21:32] mpeel: Membership Report: I think we've already covered everything... 2 members are at the approved stage, but I haven't managed to put their cheques into the bank account yet. Nothing else to report.
[21:33] AndrewRT: ok thanks
[21:33] AndrewRT: Membership of board candidate (AT) - I've already reported about that
[21:34] KTC: board report then
[21:34] KTC: if u want
[21:34] AndrewRT: ok
[21:34] AndrewRT: thanks
[21:35] AndrewRT: have you seem the email I sent round?
[21:35] AndrewRT: impressions?
[21:36] mpeel: my thoughts were in the email I sent in reply.
[21:36] AndrewRT: thanks
[21:36] AndrewRT: warofdreams you seen it at all?
[21:36] AndrewRT: cfp had a few comments
[21:37] AndrewRT: which I'll take on board
[21:37] Warofdreams: I really liked the idea, and agree with mpeel's comments
[21:37] AndrewRT: what are you wanting to do about approving it?
[21:37] Warofdreams: e-mail it around so that we're all happy, then formally approve it when we meet to approve members at the AGM?
[21:38] AndrewRT: well I wanted to leave copies around for people when they arrive
[21:38] AndrewRT: but could hold off if you want
[21:38] KTC: can we just agree to it by email ?
[21:38] KTC: i.e. it is "approved" if no one object
[21:39] Warofdreams: board report should really be formally approved
[21:39] AndrewRT: I'm happy with that if you are!
[21:39] AndrewRT: well, if you're happy with the draft
[21:39] KTC: yes, but agree to it before hand so it can be printed
[21:39] KTC: to take to the agm
[21:39] Warofdreams: yes, definitely
[21:39] KTC: we can do the formal bit before the agm
[21:39] AndrewRT: I can just incorporate the comments I get and send a final one out for apporval by, say, Friday night
[21:40] mpeel: if necessary, I can run over to the university and print things out; my office is only 5 minutes walk from Kro.
[21:40] AndrewRT: ah useful!
[21:40] Warofdreams: yes, useful, but shouldn't be necessary for this
[21:41] AndrewRT: ok, I'll draft accompanying text, make the changes requested and email final version out for approval?
[21:41] AndrewRT: then print off, say, 30 copies to bring to AGM?
[21:42] KTC: sounds good to me
[21:42] Warofdreams: I can't see anyone complaining if they are circulated to members before they've been officially approved as the report of the board (we could always announce them as a final draft, if we were unable to agree them at the AGM board meeting)
[21:42] AndrewRT: hmm, doesn't look good thou
[21:43] AndrewRT: I don't think it'll be a problem to get them approved before the meeting
[21:43] Warofdreams: or, we could start a board meeting immediately before the AGM to agree them, then suspend the meeting until we want to approve members
[21:43] mpeel: ] Tango42: You can approve it by written resolution, remember
[21:45] Warofdreams: that would require a majority of "the members who would have been entitled to vote upon it had it been proposed at a general meeting"
[21:45] AndrewRT: nope - thats a written resolution of members
[21:45] AndrewRT: this is a written resolution of the Board
[21:45] Warofdreams: silly me
[21:45] AndrewRT:
[21:46] AndrewRT: we can decide ourselves how we wnat to approve things
[21:46] AndrewRT: delegate authority or just email things round - dont have to get too formal about it
[21:47] AndrewRT: warofdreams are you happy to approve by email this week?
[21:47] AndrewRT: or would you prefer to approve at the AGM?
[21:47] AndrewRT: prior to the AGM?
[21:48] Warofdreams: I'd rather approve at the AGM (but will of course be happy to give approval in principal in advance)
[21:48] Warofdreams: or prior to the AGM, as you say
[21:48] AndrewRT: ok how about I email round, get comments and then we formally approve at AGM
[21:48] AndrewRT: cfp is not getting there for the start
[21:48] AndrewRT: when shall we meet?
[21:49] mpeel: as soon as everyone's there, I guess
[21:49] AndrewRT: when are you getting there mpeel, warofdreams?
[21:50] Warofdreams: it should be a formality, so should only take a minute or two
[21:50] Warofdreams: I've not booked a ticket yet, so I can get there as needed
[21:50] Warofdreams: will probably have quite a bit of luggage with me, thought
[21:50] Warofdreams: *though
[21:50] AndrewRT: 12:30 ok?
[21:50] mpeel: I'll be there about after 10 minutes from leaving my house... 
[21:50] Warofdreams: fine with me
[21:51] AndrewRT: ok
[21:51] KTC: mpeel, the closest one is usally the one that's late 
[21:51] AndrewRT: or ealier if everyone is there earlier 
[21:51] AndrewRT: anythign else we have to organise for the AGM?
[21:52] Warofdreams: do we want name badges for the directors?
[21:52] AndrewRT: DONE: Board report, signs, tea, coffee, notices,
[21:52] Warofdreams: so people who haven't met us know who we are?
[21:52] AndrewRT: yeah not bad idea
[21:52] AndrewRT: can anyone do these?
[21:53] • KTC will be the one who's hiding in the corner 
[21:53] Warofdreams: I should be able to
[21:53] AndrewRT: cheers Mickey
[21:53] Warofdreams: also - sign-in sheets
[21:53] Warofdreams: so we know who attended, and in case of a fire, etc
[21:53] AndrewRT: shall we ask the tellers to do this?
[21:53] Warofdreams: good idea
[21:54] AndrewRT: as they need to issue voting cards
[21:54] AndrewRT: or something like that
[21:54] AndrewRT: skenmy>perhaps name badges for all attendees? would that be feasible?
[21:55] AndrewRT: how about name badges for all members?
[21:55] AndrewRT: we have their names after all!
[21:56] AndrewRT: how much do name badges cost?
[21:56] AndrewRT: and how much work are they to produce?
[21:56] mpeel: the customisable bit is just a bit of printed card
[21:56] mpeel: should be easy to make
[21:56] mpeel: not sure how much the holder costs...
[21:57] Warofdreams: or buy sticky labels and stick onto the card - looks just as good
[21:57] mpeel: 25 for £17 at staples
[21:57] mpeel: sticky labels would be the easiest option...
[21:57] AndrewRT: so, just the directors or all members?
[21:58] AndrewRT: could you do one for each member warofdreams?
[21:58] AndrewRT: or is this too much work?
[21:58] Warofdreams: sticky labels? no problem, just give me the names
[21:59] AndrewRT: mpeel? could you send warofdreams the names?
[21:59] Warofdreams: proper badges I think would cost a bit much for all members
[21:59] mpeel: sure
[21:59] AndrewRT: what did you have in mind wod?
[21:59] AndrewRT: printed labels, text only or with logo?
[22:00] Warofdreams: small logo and "Wikimedia UK AGM" or similar on top line, then name in large letters, all in b/w
[22:00] AndrewRT: looking good!
[22:01] AndrewRT: anything else we need?
[22:02] mpeel: I'll try to locate a projector
[22:02] AndrewRT: membership forms - you bringing them mpeel?
[22:02] mpeel: will also bring membership forms. 
[22:02] AndrewRT: could you get a flip chart?
[22:03] mpeel: I haven't seen one of those around, so probably not
[22:03] mpeel: will investigate, though.
[22:03] AndrewRT: thanks
[22:03] AndrewRT: I might be able to borrow one from work
[22:04] AndrewRT: well, I'm comfortable we've thought of everything now
[22:04] AndrewRT: shall we move on?
[22:04] KTC: plz
[22:04] mpeel: ok
[22:05] AndrewRT: where are we up to Mr Chair?
[22:05] KTC: Timetable Review ?
[22:05] AndrewRT: well, that's all on track!
[22:05] AndrewRT: http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Timeline
[22:05] AndrewRT: I've shaded 18th as its passed
[22:05] KTC: Wikimania bid (TH, JS) then? nothing basically ?
[22:06] AndrewRT: yep
[22:06] AndrewRT: just waiting
[22:06] KTC: anything on website?
[22:06] AndrewRT: mpeel mentioned it before
[22:06] KTC: *anything else ?
[22:06] mpeel: nothing new that wasn't mentioned above, I don't think.
[22:07] KTC: # AOCB
[22:07] KTC: Business Development
[22:07] AndrewRT: can we go in camera?
[22:07] mpeel: I have another point to raise, which also needs to be in camera...
[22:07] AndrewRT: where we going?
[22:09] • KTC poke Warofdreams
[22:09] Warofdreams: would someone like to invite me to wherever it is we're meeting?
[22:09] KTC: i did
[22:10] KTC: >Warofdreams< * You've invited Warofdreams to #wikimedia-uk-board-private (simmons.freenode.net)
[22:10] Warofdreams: thanks - didn't get anything through before
[22:10] KTC: i did the invite, a irc notice before i wrote that 
[22:11] Warofdreams:
[22:26] • KTC waves
[22:26] AndrewRT: back in the room
[22:26] AndrewRT: summary for the minutes?
[22:27] Warofdreams: "the board discussed a communication regarding business development"
[22:27] AndrewRT: b) board discussed thei view on the chapter selected seats
[22:27] AndrewRT: right my final point
[22:27] AndrewRT: it would be good for the next board
[22:28] AndrewRT: if we had a list to give them of all the things that are currently "in progress"
[22:28] AndrewRT: mind if we do that quickly now?
[22:29] AndrewRT: 1) HMRC charity recognition
[22:29] AndrewRT: 2) PayPal
[22:29] AndrewRT: 3) April newsletter
[22:30] AndrewRT: 4) wikimedia.org.uk transfer
[22:30] mpeel: * wikimedia.[co/org].uk transfer
[22:30] AndrewRT: 5) uk.wikimedia.org bug (?)
[22:30] AndrewRT: k
[22:30] mpeel: 5 should be done...
[22:30] mpeel: unless I've missed something
[22:30] AndrewRT: weren't there two bugs?
[22:30] mpeel: both have been sorted
[22:30] AndrewRT: ah ok
[22:30] AndrewRT: thats good!
[22:30] mpeel: sorry if that wasn't clear earlier
[22:31] AndrewRT: 5) Wikipedia etc trademark
[22:31] mpeel: 6) Wikimania bid
[22:31] AndrewRT: 6) Chapter selected seats
[22:31] AndrewRT: >7) Chapter selected seats
[22:31] AndrewRT:  Chapters grant from WMF
[22:31] AndrewRT: 8 )
[22:31] mpeel: that's the cool one. 
[22:32] AndrewRT: yeah!
[22:32] AndrewRT: anything else
[22:32] AndrewRT: ?
[22:32] KTC: new chapters agreement draft
[22:32] AndrewRT: I'm thinking this list could cover off http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetings/2009-04-26/Agenda
[22:32] AndrewRT: 6.3
[22:33] AndrewRT: KTC - what's that?
[22:33] KTC: what ur suppose to email Mike Godwin about 
[22:33] Warofdreams: 9) Membership drive
[22:33] AndrewRT: that's >5) Wikipedia etc trademark
[22:34] KTC: i c
[22:34] Warofdreams: 10) Media contacts (OK, that's not really under way yet)
[22:34] AndrewRT: whats' o/s on membership drive?
[22:34] AndrewRT: oh I should say 11) Wikipedia LOves Art prizes
[22:35] AndrewRT: any other ideas?
[22:35] Warofdreams: there's plenty at http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Membership/Drive not ticked off, but glancing through, I think it might all be done
[22:35] Warofdreams: still, it's always time for more ideas
[22:35] mpeel: I've started a couple of things rolling with relationships with cultural museums, but not enough that I'd consider them to be "in progress' I don't think...
[22:36] AndrewRT: 2. Send a message to anyone that's UK-based on their en.wp user talk pages - I dont think has been done
[22:36] mpeel: membership drive / media contacts are more ongoing things than in progress things...
[22:36] AndrewRT: nor 8. Create a welcome template for all people who create a user account here, encouraging them to join
[22:36] mpeel: first draft of that's done...
[22:36] mpeel: http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Welcome
[22:36] mpeel: haven't started using it yet, though.
[22:37] mpeel: if anyone wants, then please feel free to distribute it...
[22:37] AndrewRT: Look's good!
[22:37] mpeel: another thing we need to consider is transferring documents over to the new board
[22:37] AndrewRT: yeah
[22:38] AndrewRT: although I guess thats more Secetary to new Sec, Tres to new Tres, MemSec to new MemSec
[22:38] mpeel: yup
[22:38] AndrewRT: ok well is that it then?
[22:39] mpeel: probably... can this be written up on the wiki, and edited if we come up with additional items?
[22:39] AndrewRT: yeah sure
[22:39] AndrewRT: I'll do that
[22:39] Warofdreams: great, I'll action you in the minutes
[22:39] AndrewRT: sure
[22:39] AndrewRT: so, the end of our last IRC meeting together
[22:40] KTC: wee
[22:40] Warofdreams: one quick query - where is the best version of the logo, to use on the publicity material?
[22:40] Warofdreams: (I've probably had it by e-mail, but I can't find it at the moment)
[22:40] mpeel: http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_UK_logo.svg
[22:40] Warofdreams: thanks
[22:40] AndrewRT: thanks to all
[22:40] mpeel: at least, I think that's the latest, most correct version.
[22:41] mpeel: something for the next board; sort out the logo properly.
[22:41] AndrewRT: why what's wrong with it?
[22:41] mpeel: we need it in multiple, high resolution formats
[22:41] mpeel: plus various options
[22:41] AndrewRT: ah i c
[22:41] mpeel: e.g. black and white
[22:41] mpeel: and white and black
[22:41] mpeel: etc.
[22:41] AndrewRT: well, I've got quite a few actions
[22:41] Warofdreams: it's been great being on this board; with only a brief in-person meeting to go, I'd like to wish whoever forms the new board all the best in the future.  I'll be around, supporting the organisation and being as active as I can.
[22:42] AndrewRT: so I may as well get on with them
[22:42] AndrewRT: thanks Mickey
[22:42] AndrewRT: appreciate all your work here!
[22:42] AndrewRT: pity I couldn't persuade you to stay on 
[22:42] AndrewRT: thanks KTC as well
[22:43] Warofdreams: I think you'll be far better off with whoever replaces me - I'm really not going to have so much time!
[22:43] AndrewRT: yeah know the feeling!
[22:43] AndrewRT: right, is the meeting finshed then?
[22:43] AndrewRT: I should get working on all my actions!
[22:43] AndrewRT: see you all on Sunday
[22:43] KTC: good luck the next board 
[22:43] KTC: bye bye
[22:44] AndrewRT: bye then
[22:44] Warofdreams: bye, and see you all at the AGM
[22:44] mpeel: g'night all
[22:44] AndrewRT: night

#wikimedia-uk

[20:41] Seddon: well tell us when the meeting offcially starts 
[20:41] • skenmy is freenode staff for a reason 
[20:41] Tango42: I assumed the bits were going to be discussed in the board meetings. We were just discussing the discussion here.
[20:42] AndrewRT: it's just started skenmy
[20:42] • skenmy backflips over to the channel
[20:45] KTC: i did say last week don't pick on my english. they didn't listen 
[20:45] AndrewRT: hehe
[20:46] AndrewRT: no offense meant!
[20:46] KTC:
[20:59] Tango42: in the interests of fairness, mpeel pointed it out to me first
[21:00] cfp joined the chat room.
[21:08] Seddon: I would like some sort of guidance at some point, even if just one on one, as to how the board wishes the sessions to be run
[21:08] cfp: what sessions sorry?
[21:08] mpeel: I'd have thought, however you want to run them... 
[21:08] mpeel: at the AGM, right?
[21:09] Seddon: yer
[21:09] skenmy: Seddon, i'm available to assist you if you need/want it
[21:09] cfp left the chat room. (Remote closed the connection)
[21:09] • Seddon hugs skenmy
[21:09] skenmy: I can do public speaking 
[21:10] Seddon: well i would love to get some disussion in there
[21:10] Seddon: i can do bullshitting for 15 minutes but i would like to keep it interesting
[21:10] skenmy: it would be so much easier if we *knew* by the 26th
[21:10] Seddon: agree
[21:10] mpeel: my suggestion: if discussing the bid, just pull up the bid webpage and talk through it, then go on to what would need to be done and pester people until they volunteer... 
[21:10] skenmy: hint to the jury kthx
[21:10] mpeel: (done in the long term, that is, if we win)
[21:11] Seddon: ill mention some other ideas which have been thrown too me during my bid travels with various people
[21:11] mpeel: failing that ... throw out suggestions about how to do a UK conference, and see what people think.
[21:11] Seddon: to*
[21:11] Tango42: If you can't fill the time, just turn it into a Q&A/discussion session - that's what people usually do when they can't think of anything to say
[21:12] Warofdreams: ask people to contribute their relevant experiences of doing/going to anything similar
[21:12] Warofdreams: is a possibility
[21:13] Warofdreams: then when they've given you their great ideas, it's time to get them to work on running this conference!
[21:16] Seddon: ok cool, that gives me alot of angles to work from
[21:16] Seddon: i dont know whether ill have time to do a pretty powerpoint but i think ill avoid it as im not a fan of death by powerpoint
[21:17] skenmy: bbiab
[21:26] Seddon_ joined the chat room.
[21:26] Seddon_: apologise for that
[21:27] Seddon left the chat room. (Nick collision from services.)
[21:27] Seddon_ is now known as Seddon.
[21:27] Seddon: stupid irc
[21:33] KTC: Seddon ?
[21:33] KTC: r u a member ? or u joining at agm right?
[21:33] Seddon: at the agm
[21:33] Seddon: iv had money problems
[21:34] KTC: ah, just as long as ur not on board and not a member 
[21:36] skenmy: i return!
[21:40] Tango42: You can approve it by written resolution, remember
[21:44] Seddon: do we have a public list of company members?
[21:45] AndrewRT: no
[21:46] Tango42: You can request such a list, though, and as long as you have a good reason the board are legally obliged to give it to you
[21:46] Tango42: (I'm not sure what qualifies as a good reason)
[21:46] mpeel: anything that satisfies the board, I guess; otherwise the board have to file with a court to not give you the list, I think.
[21:48] Seddon: hmm ok
[21:48] Seddon: how many members do we have so far?
[21:48] mpeel: 21+2
[21:49] Seddon: so 2 are waiting cheques to be cleared
[21:49] mpeel: yup
[21:49] Seddon: plus me is 24
[21:49] Seddon: well in  my opinion that is a successful start to the chapter
[21:51] • skenmy concurs
[21:51] AndrewRT: yeah me too
[21:51] skenmy: <AndrewRT> anythign else we have to organise for the AGM? <-- kickass laser shows?
[21:52] AndrewRT: heh
[21:52] AndrewRT: that might have to wait for next year! 
[21:52] Tango42: Yep 24 is a respectable start. Hopefully it will be more like 240 by the next AGM!
[21:52] AndrewRT: I though 100 as a target
[21:52] AndrewRT: _thought_
[21:53] AndrewRT: but I'm happy for more!
[21:53] KTC: 600! or whatever to beat DE 
[21:53] AndrewRT: I thought beat DE within 3 years?
[21:53] skenmy: perhaps name badges for all attendees? would that be feasible?
[21:54] Warofdreams: we don't know who will be attending
[21:54] mpeel: depends whether a sticky label is sufficient
[21:54] skenmy: thats quite the drawback
[21:54] Tango42: I was thinking about making my own badge and putting in on the cool Wikimedia neck-band thing I can't remember the name of that I got in Berlin
[21:54] skenmy: mpeel - I think so. Even if it's just a first name we write in with a permie, that helps break the ice
[21:55] Tango42: I got a Wikipedia one, too, if anyone wants to borrow
[21:55] skenmy: shotgun
[21:55] skenmy: \o/
[21:55] mpeel: Tango42: the word you're looking for is lanyard
[21:55] skenmy: <AndrewRT> how about name badges for all members? <-- nice idea
[21:55] • skenmy is building a collection of lanyards, but I won't steal yours, Tango42
[21:56] Tango42: I think of a lanyard as more of a cord, rather than the band these are
[21:56] skenmy: a lanyard is a band too
[21:56] skenmy: wide, printed
[21:56] Tango42: A lanyard is the thing warn with uniforms (I had one as a Patrol Leader with the Scouts)
[21:56] skenmy: in which case you have something different
[21:57] skenmy: http://www.cym.com.sg/images/Lanyard%20With%20Detachable%20Buckle.jpg
[21:57] Tango42: yeah, that's the thing
[21:57] skenmy: a lanyard, then
[21:57] skenmy:
[21:58] Tango42: (only the wikimedia one has a detachable end, the wikipedia one is of rather cheaper construction!)
[21:58] skenmy: you may be thinking of an epaulette with a uniform?
[21:58] Tango42: Seems like whoever invented them couldn't be bothered to come up with a new name
[21:58] Tango42: No, I'm definitely thinking on a lanyard
[21:58] skenmy: can you find an example? I am le curious
[21:58] Tango42: It's a cord that goes round your neck and then the end attaches to a shirt button or something
[21:58] skenmy: ah
[21:58] Tango42: I'll find a pic, lots of military uniforms have then
[21:59] skenmy: I think I know what you mean
[21:59] skenmy: @-board - make them sexy-looking!
[22:00] Seddon: and member number 
[22:00] skenmy: WOD - perfecto
[22:00] AndrewRT: Warofdreams>small logo and "Wikimedia UK AGM" or similar on top line, then name in large letters, all in b/w
[22:01] skenmy: and bring blank stickies with the logo and AGM text
[22:01] AndrewRT: that sexy enough for you skenmy?
[22:01] mpeel: Tango42: I guess you pinched one like Aude's? http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chapters_meetup_2009_Aude.JPG
[22:01] Tango42: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/British_Army_No_2_Dress.jpg
[22:01] skenmy: so people can write them in if they don't have one
[22:01] Warofdreams: Seddon: not sure if we even have member numbers?
[22:01] AndrewRT: yep we do
[22:01] skenmy: sure we do
[22:01] Warofdreams: skenmy: yes, absolutely
[22:01] mpeel: we have member numbers.
[22:01] Seddon:
[22:01] Tango42: mpeel: Not pinched, given. Sebastian handed them out at the WMDE office.
[22:01] mpeel: ah, that explains why I didn't manage to get one. 
[22:02] • skenmy is member number 8
[22:02] skenmy:
[22:02] Tango42: Did you get one of the Wikimedia ones? I think I got one of the last just before going to Dinner the first night
[22:02] Tango42: I'm member 13...
[22:02] mpeel: nope
[22:02] Warofdreams: well, I could put member numbers on, although I'm not sure of the purpose (we're not going to get people turn up with fake ones, and "I've got a lower number than you" gets tired pretty quickly)
[22:02] • KTC is member no idea
[22:02] skenmy: Hello #1!
[22:02] KTC: 1 - 5 i'm guessing 
[22:02] skenmy: ALL HAIL #1!
[22:02] AndrewRT: member no 1  - that's me!!
[22:03] AndrewRT: I'm very honored 
[22:03] KTC:
[22:07] Tango42: Can we lock the Wikimania jury in a room with nothing but bread, water and a means of producing white smoke?
[22:07] skenmy: CABAL! CABAL! CABAL!
[22:07] AndrewRT: haha
[22:07] AndrewRT: beat you to it Tango42!
[22:07] skenmy: DOUBLE CABAL! DOUBLE CABAL! DOUBLE CABAL!
[22:08] mpeel: cabalicious. 
[22:08] KTC: Tango42, the cardinals (sp) do have some assistants 
[22:08] Tango42: Nonono... you just say the same thing again. No improvising!
[22:08] Tango42: Can't get the staff these days...
[22:08] AndrewRT: amateurs...
[22:08] • skenmy cries in the coner
[22:08] skenmy: *corner
[22:09] Tango42: You spelt cardinal correctly. We can give them assistants, I suppose, just no interesting assistants that might cause a distraction
[22:10] skenmy: mwuahahahahaha
[22:10] skenmy: cabal channel
[22:10] Tango42: This really is the most incompetent cabal I've ever seen...
[22:10] mpeel: you want a competent cabal?
[22:10] skenmy: Tango42, we'll rectify it on the 26th
[22:10] Tango42: Inded
[22:10] Tango42: Indeed
[22:11] • skenmy nominates Tango42 to be Cabal Director
[22:11] Tango42: Encrypted videophones, perhaps?
[22:11] skenmy: what if someone looks over the shoulder?
[22:11] • mpeel makes a mental note of who not to vote for...
[22:12] Tango42: Well, obviously, all cabal members will have a secure room prepared in their home for such purposes.
[22:12] skenmy: sssshhhhhhhhhh
[22:13] Tango42: Security by obscurity is pointless, we just need to make the secure rooms secure enough that even if people know about them they'll never get i
[22:13] Tango42: in
[22:14] skenmy: ignorance is the best type of security, my friend
[22:14] KTC: like where we are now. it's so secure at least one of the authorised member can't get in even if he tries 
[22:14] skenmy: if they don't know about it, they won't be looking for it
[22:15] Tango42: Yes, but they usually find out pretty quickly
[22:16] skenmy: perhaps i'm just too used to using security by obscurity in a school
[22:16] skenmy: kids are *dumb* when it comes to networks 
[22:16] Tango42: I think you'll find that is not the case
[22:16] • KTC remember having the password to bypass the filters when he was at school 
[22:16] Tango42: If you haven't realised that they already know all your secrets, then you are the one that is dumb
[22:17] Tango42: I recall the sysop password on the tech dept's network at my secondary school was "posys"
[22:17] skenmy: Tango42 - oh we've already considered that angle
[22:17] skenmy: and installed monitoring software 
[22:18] Tango42: Which the pupils will know all about
[22:18] skenmy: of course they do
[22:18] skenmy: and that acts as a deterrent
[22:18] smoddy: at my school it acted as a challenge 
[22:18] Tango42: Precisely
[22:18] skenmy: I was part of a group the school called the "Gaggle of Geeks"
[22:19] Tango42: All you have to do to avoid monitoring software is get the technician to look the other way
[22:19] skenmy: we would consistently find holes in the network secuity
[22:19] skenmy: Tango42 - nah not quite
[22:19] smoddy: of course, this was a school whose network could be hacked by plugging a laptop into a network port
[22:19] skenmy: government ndas prevent me from telling you how it works 
[22:25] Tango42: Seddon: Did you hear any reason for the jury taking another week? They have all the information they are going to get, and it doesn't take that long to read it all...
[22:25] Tango42: If they haven't reached a consensus by now they should just vote
[22:26] AndrewRT: voting is evil
[22:26] KTC: consensus is evil
[22:26] KTC:
[22:26] AndrewRT: yeah  be too!
[22:26] AndrewRT: _can_
[22:28] Tango42: voting may well be evil, but if they can't reach a consensus, it's pretty much the only option
[22:28] smoddy: you could hold the first half of the conference in one city, then move to another for the second half
[22:28] Tango42: If the haven't reached one by now, the only way they will is by people gradually becoming too exhausted to argue any more and giving up until only one side remains
[22:29] Tango42: For Oxford and Amsterdam, that's almost possible. Gdansk is a little far away
[22:29] Seddon: Tango42: no, i have no futher info other than one jury member stating that the bids are "close"
[22:29] Tango42: Well, we knew that
[22:29] Warofdreams: Tango: there are plenty of places on Wikipedia where there's an alternative to voting when consensus cannot be found - a long war of attrition until everyone get bored of the whole thing and it lies dormant for a while, only to reignite later
[22:30] Tango42: Well, yes, war of attrition is basically what I just described. I consider that more evil than voting
[22:31] Warofdreams: So I do.  But not everyone does.
[22:31] Warofdreams: *do I
[22:31] Tango42: That's as may be, but that is simply because they are wrong.
[22:32] Warofdreams:
[22:33] Warofdreams: but not only will they not acknowledge that, they won't even accept the result of a vote on it