From Wikimedia UK
Jump to navigation Jump to search
These minutes were approved at the Board meeting on 19 May 2009.

Wikimedia UK Board meeting Tuesday 12th May 2009, 8:30pm BST at #wikimedia-uk-board

Present: Michael Peel (MP) (Chair); Andrew Turvey (AT) (Minutes); Paul Williams (PW); Steve Virgin (SV); Joseph Seddon (JS); Zeyi He (ZH) (part) Apologies: Tom Holden (TH); Zeyi He for late arrival

Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the meeting of the 5th May were approved with minor changes.

ZH joined the meeting

The following actions were carried forward:

JS to send a token of our appreciation to the retiring Directors, tellers and external speakers. AT will provide addresses.

ACTION: AT Yes check.svg Done; JS Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

TH to contact the bank to notify them of the new directors, to change the signatories to any two of MP, AT and TH and to set up AT and MP on the online banking.

ACTION: TH Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

MP to set up a private wiki for sharing documents.

ACTION: MP Yes check.svg Done

PW will talk to SV and ZH to get them set up with an account on IRC and give them operator rights.

ACTION: PW Go-next-red.svg Carried forward SV, ZH

PW will investigate whether the domain can occur free of charge; if not, MP is authorised to pay the £23 transfer fee. MP will also follow up hosting for the domain.

ACTION: PW Yes check.svg Done; MP Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

TH is following up the subscription fee received without a membership form.

ACTION: TH Yes check.svg Done

AT is to respond to the pressure group whose letter had been received.

ACTION: AT Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

AT will investigate whether it is possible for UK domains to opt out of Phorm and, if so, send the opt out letter along the lines of this once the domain has been transferred.

ACTION: AT Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

Treasurer's Report

TH had nothing further to report.

Secretary's Report

AT had nothing further to report.

HMRC Response

TH has posted the letter on the wiki at Submission to HMRC. AT had made some suggestions at Talk:Submission to HMRC. AT agreed to expand these into an alternative wording, and the other members will comment on wiki for final decision at the next meeting.

The WMF has offered to fund the cost of a barrister's advice.

It was agreed that the Board would still send a response to HMRC after the next meeting rather than delaying it to wait for formal advice.

ACTION: AT Yes check.svg Done

Draft New Chapter Agreement

The meeting went in camera. Details of decisions and actions are noted in the confidential minutes

ACTION: MP Yes check.svg Done

MP agreed to circulate to other Board members the comments on the agreement received from Tango42.

ACTION: MP Yes check.svg Done


It was agreed to send May the newsletter out on 20th, and to move the date progressively earlier in the month. PW agreed to start drafting and to assign sections.

ACTION: PW Yes check.svg Done


MP agreed to set up email addresses for and to forward to ZH & PW respectively.

ACTION: MP Yes check.svg Done

PW agreed to send round instructions for registering with OTRS

ACTION: PW Yes check.svg Done

It was agreed that personal addresses in the form would be cancelled once people are no longer working for the chapter – e.g. For former board members.


ZH asked for suggestions as to how she could fulfil her role. AT, JS, PW, SV and MP agreed to send at least one suggestion to ZH before the next meeting.

AT suggested the Board adopt a “timeline” similar to the one used by the interim Board and target completing three initiatives by the time of the next AGM.

ACTION: AT Yes check.svg Done, JS Go-next-red.svg Carried forward, PW Yes check.svg Done, SV Go-next-red.svg Carried forward and MP Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

Cultural partnerships

MP agreed to email a summary on this topic around the Board members for discussion at the next meeting.

ACTION: MP Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

Process to select chapter seats on the Foundation Board

AT agreed to email a summary on this decision around the Board members for discussion at the next meeting.

ACTION: AT Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

Any Other Business

ZH mentioned she had held discussions with people at her university to discuss running campaigns to encourage people to edit Wikipedia. She agreed to send a note with details round the Board.

ACTION: ZH Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

JS mentioned that a new Wikimedia mailing list has been launched for Wikimedians in Ireland. If they proceed to form a chapter, we need to make an arrangement for WM-UK members who are residents of Northern Ireland to participate in the Irish chapter should they wish. It was agreed we'd include this news in our newsletter and support the development of the mailing list or any future chapter in any other way we could.

PW asked if he could have business cards printed for his role. It was agreed this could be paid by the chapter. PW will research this and follow up with TH.

ACTION: PW Symbol wait.svg Doing...

Meeting closed at 22:46