From Wikimedia UK
Jump to navigation Jump to search
These minutes were approved at the Board meeting on 26 May 2009.

Wikimedia UK Board meeting Tuesday 19th May 2009, 8:30pm BST at #wikimedia-uk-board

Present: Michael Peel (MP) (Chair); Andrew Turvey (AT) (Minutes); Paul Williams (PW); Steve Virgin (SV); Joseph Seddon (JS); Tom Holden (TH) Apologies: Zeyi He (ZH)

Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the meeting of the 12th May were approved with minor changes.

The following actions were carried forward:

JS to send the tokens of our appreciation to the retiring Directors, tellers and external speakers.


TH to contact the bank to notify them of the new directors, to change the signatories to any two of MP, AT and TH and to set up AT and MP on the online banking.

ACTION: TH Symbol wait.svg Doing...

PW will talk to SV and ZH to get them set up with an account on IRC and give them operator rights.

ACTION: PW Go-next-red.svg Carried forward SV, ZH

MP has transferred ownership of to us; MP still to organise transfer of with current owner.


AT is to respond to the pressure group whose letter had been received.


AT will send the opt out email re Phorm once has been transferred.


JS and MP agreed to send at least one suggestion regarding initiatives to ZH before the next meeting.

ACTION: JS and MP Yes check.svg Done

MP agreed to email a summary on cultural partnerships around the Board members for discussion at the next meeting.


AT agreed to email a summary on the proposed process to agree the chapter-selected seats in 2010.

ACTION: AT Yes check.svg Done

ZH to send a note round the Board with details of the discussions she has had with people at her university to discuss running campaigns to encourage people to edit Wikipedia.


PW will continue to research what is needed to produce business cards for Wikimedia UK officials.

ACTION: PW Symbol wait.svg Doing...

Matters arising

MP will move the private wiki to

ACTION: MP Yes check.svg Done

Treasurer's Report

Member Number 28's application was approved and he becomes a member with immediate effect as his payment has already cleared.

It was agreed to put the Registers of Members, Directors etc. on the private wiki.

ACTION: AT Yes check.svg Done

Secretary's Report

AT reported two items of correspondence:

  1. A letter from our MP, with a response from the minister responsible regarding the HMRC delays.
  2. A referral from the en-wiki OTRS queue from an Imperial College spin off company asking for our help on the use of wikis in education. AT agreed to circulate to the Board, discuss on the mailing list and follow up.


HMRC Response

Agreed to use the expanded draft from AT as the basis for our response.

Other ideas to be incorporated into the text include:

  • The nature study comparing wikipedia to Britannica [1]
  • examples of activities that other chapters, e.g. WMDE, and the WMF have done
  • any other “real world” case studies concerning Wikip/media, including the UNU-MERIT survey [2] [3]
  • surveys of how Wikip/media is used by students, academics and professionals
  • discussions with Zeyi on her research work

SV will look into starting a survey on social media sites


MP agreed to find some references we can quote regarding the use of wikipedia as class assignments.


Agreed to continue to edit on the wiki and to approve at the next meeting.



JS agreed to complete the section in the May Newsletter on the 2010 Wikimedia UK conference tonight. MP agreed to expand the “press coverage” and “other chapters” sections and distribute tomorrow.

ACTION: JS Yes check.svg Done; MP Yes check.svg Done except for email subscribers X mark.svg Not done

Membership Drive

PW agreed to start pushing this and organise the Membership/Drive page. MP, AT, SV, JS agreed to send suggestions to PW about this by a fortnight's time.


So that we can use it for members-only merchandising, AT agreed to send the email to the Foundation previously discussed asking for permission to use their trademarks.


Any other business

JS reported that Manchester Tourist Board have offered their support to hosting a future Wikimania conference. The Board has also had a separate discussion on email about volunteering to host the 2010 chapters meeting. Discussion ensued on whether we should host a combined 2010 chapters meeting and UK Conference in Manchester. JS will discuss with MTB whether they could support this event and express a statement of interest in regards to the chapters meeting on the chapters list. JS will continue to follow up over the next two weeks. MP and JS will liaise on discussing it with previous chapters meeting hosts Wikimedia Deutschland, Nederland and France.


We discussed ways to encourage donations. It was agreed directors should accept cash donations at wikimeets etc, give paper receipts and pay the cash into a bank branch. TH will follow up opening a non-charity PayPal account. TH will provide bank account details on request.

ACTION: TH Yes check.svg Done

Meeting closed at 10:30.