Meetings/2009-06-09

From Wikimedia UK
Jump to navigation Jump to search
These minutes were approved at the Board meeting on 23 June 2009.

Wikimedia UK Board meeting Tuesday 9th June 2009, 8:30pm BST at #wikimedia-uk-board

Present: Michael Peel (MP) (Chair); Steve Virgin (SV); Joseph Seddon (JS); Paul Williams (PW)

Apologies: Andrew Turvey (AT)(minutes); Tom Holden (TH) and Zeyi He (ZH), all for late arrival

Comment Note: Please mark your actions with one of the following:

* {{done}} if you have completed what was agreed

* {{doing}} if you have started doing what was agreed but haven't finished

* {{cf}} if you have not yet done what was agreed but will do in the future

* {{not done}} if you have not done what was agreed and will not now do it

In addition please mark {{discuss}} if the board needs to discuss the action and add it to the agenda of the next meeting.

Minutes of the previous meetings[edit | edit source]

The minutes of the meetings dated 26 May and 2 June were approved.

The following actions have been carried forward:

1. JS to send the tokens of our appreciation to the retiring Directors, tellers and external speakers.

ACTION: JS Symbol wait.svg Doing...

2. TH to contact the bank to notify them of the new directors, to change the signatories to any two of MP, AT and TH and to set up AT and MP on the online banking. MP, ZH, SV and JS to return to TH the forms they have received.

ACTION: TH, ZH, SV Symbol wait.svg Doing..., MP, JS Yes check.svg Done

3. MP to organise transfer of wikimedia.org.uk to WMUK.

ACTION: MP Symbol wait.svg Doing...

4. AT will send the opt out email re Phorm once wikimedia.org.uk has been transferred.

ACTION: AT Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

5. PW will continue to research what is needed to produce business cards for Wikimedia UK officials.

ACTION: PW Symbol wait.svg Doing... Dialog ballons icon.svg Discuss

6. PW agreed to start pushing membership and organise the Membership/Drive page.

ACTION: PW Symbol wait.svg Doing...

7. MP, SV, JS agreed to send suggestions on membership to PW by 9 June.

ACTION: MP, SV, JS Symbol wait.svg Doing...

8. SV, MP, JS to collate press response template list

ACTION: SV, MP + JS Symbol wait.svg Doing...

9. ZH to prepare a timeline for WMUK initiatives.

ACTION: ZH Yes check.svg Done

10. TD agreed to contact the gazette on behalf of WMUK to solicit a pro-bono lawyer

ACTION: TD Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

11. TH + MP agreed to contact pro bono lawyer groups by email

ACTION: TH + MP Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

12. JS to copy the standard templates from OTRS for use in the press response template

ACTION: JS Yes check.svg Done

13. JS to clarify if the offer of help from WJBScribe means formal written advice that can be relied upon or informal word of mouth assistance.

ACTION: JS Symbol wait.svg Doing... awaiting response

14. The cost to attend the Online Information 2009 (1-3 Dec, London) conference is £400/day/person (£400 for the 3 days for registered charities). JS will confirm whether speakers have to pay this fee.

ACTION: JS Go-next-red.svg Carried forward to circa. July 6th.

15. In the event that speakers do have to pay the fee, SV will look into getting a slot in a fringe event instead.

ACTION: SV Symbol wait.svg Doing...

16. Once this is established, JS, MP, AT will work on a submission

ACTION: JS, MP, AT Symbol wait.svg Doing...

17. The Vega Science Trust, a not-for-profit publishing material on the internet; JS and SV will follow up with a call to discuss collaboration opportunities.

ACTION: JS; SV Symbol wait.svg Doing... Contact is presently out of office. Will continue to try and arrange a meeting.

18. Bairds, a public affairs consultancy who may be able to help regarding funding for Welsh language projects. JS and SV will follow up to discuss collaboration opportunities.

ACTION: JS; SV Go-next-red.svg Carried forward untill further notice (See coporate relations report)

19. The Red Maids school regarding the wikischools idea. JS and SV will progress

ACTION: JS; SV Go-next-red.svg Carried forward to first meeting in August in preparation for new academic year 2009/2010 (See coporate relations report)

20. AT to thank the pro-bono lawyer for his offer of help, explain the Board has decided to respond to HMRC ASAP; if this is not successful we may then seek legal advice so would be grateful for assistance then if it's still available and would they be prepared to advise us on the chapters agreement.

ACTION: AT Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

Matters arising[edit | edit source]

SV has followed up on the BBC email and has reported back by phone to MP, AT and JS. SV agreed to phone TH, PW and ZH to inform them of progress.

ACTION: SV Yes check.svg Done

ZH joined the meeting

PW will circulate the designs of the WMUK business cards

ACTION: PW Yes check.svg Done

TH joined the meeting

AT joined the meeting

PW will send AT a copy of the Wikimedia chapters design template

ACTION: PW Yes check.svg Done

TH will send AT a copy of the template he's been using for correspondence.

ACTION: TH Yes check.svg Done

AT will forward a copy of the HMRC response letter to WMF to ask them for comments, particularly ways to expand Appendix A.

ACTION: AT Yes check.svg Done

TH will forward Appendix B to his barrister friend for comments.

ACTION: TH Yes check.svg Done

AT will post to the HMRC, incorporating the comments on format and content received, aiming for the end of the week.

ACTION: AT Yes check.svg Done

Reports[edit | edit source]

Secretary[edit | edit source]

AT has unsubscribed SV from internal-L and chapters-L at his request due to the volume of posts. It was agreed to subscribe JS to internal-L in our fifth place.

ACTION: AT Yes check.svg Done

Treasurer[edit | edit source]

The Board asked the signatories to agree to the resolution at Meetings/2009-06-09/Resolutions and TH, AT and MP formally did so.

TH has received a donation of £20 which has been acknowledged.

Current bank balance is £264.85, but a further claim for AGM expenses is expected from AT.

ACTION: AT Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

Chair[edit | edit source]

It was suggested that we should not be too critical of journalists who get details wrong and should not necessarily ask for errors in stories to be corrected unless they negatively impact on our image.

It was agreed to add HMRC and the ArbCom issues to our press templates.

ACTION: AT Yes check.svg Done

MP has also been contacted by the BBC World Service regarding the Scientology issue.

MP has held discussions with the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry regarding a potential initiative there.

Corporate relations[edit | edit source]

SV and JS are meeting the University of Western England July 14 to discuss collaboration.

Conferences[edit | edit source]

JS has sent some information from Manchester Tourist Board to the other directors. He is arranging meetings over the summer to visit venues.

IRC Logs[edit | edit source]

It was agreed to continue publishing the logs of old meetings online.

Domain names[edit | edit source]

MP to investigate what other domains names are available so that the Board can decide whether to request ownership ourselves or enable the WMF to own them.

ACTION: MP Symbol wait.svg Doing...

Newsletter[edit | edit source]

PW will develop the newsletter by 14 June and distribute before the next meeting, in line with the plan to bring the newsletter dates forward.

ACTION: PW X mark.svg Not done Dialog ballons icon.svg Discuss

Next meeting[edit | edit source]

Next meeting was arranged for Tuesday 23rd June, 8:30pm at #wikimedia-uk-board

Meeting closed at 22:32.