From Wikimedia UK
Jump to navigation Jump to search
These minutes were approved at the Board meeting on 9 June 2009.

Wikimedia UK Board meeting Tuesday 26th May 2009, 8:30pm BST at #wikimedia-uk-board

Present: Michael Peel (MP) (Chair); Steve Virgin (SV); Joseph Seddon (JS); Tom Holden (TH) Zeyi He (ZH)

Apologies: Paul Williams (PW), Andrew Turvey (AT)

Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the meeting of the 19th May were approved with minor changes.

The following actions were carried forward:

  • JS to send the tokens of our appreciation to the retiring Directors, tellers and external speakers.

ACTION: JS Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

  • TH to contact the bank to notify them of the new directors, to change the signatories to any two of MP, AT and TH and to set up AT and MP on the online banking.

ACTION: TH Symbol wait.svg Doing...

  • PW will talk to SV and ZH to get them set up with an account on IRC and give them operator rights.

ACTION: PW Symbol wait.svg Doing...

  • MP has transferred ownership of to us; MP still to organise transfer of with current owner.

ACTION: MP Symbol wait.svg Doing...

  • AT is to respond to the pressure group whose letter had been received. c/f

ACTION: AT Yes check.svg Done

AT will send the opt out email re Phorm once has been transferred.

ACTION: AT Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

  • "MP agreed to email a summary on cultural partnerships around the Board members for discussion at the next meeting."

ACTION: MP Yes check.svg Done

  • "PW will continue to research what is needed to produce business cards for Wikimedia UK officials."

ACTION: PW Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

  • AT to circulate to the Board, discuss on the mailing list and follow up the correspondence re the Imperial College spin off company asking for our help on the use of wikis in education. (AT)

ACTION: AT Yes check.svg Done

  • PW to obtain the list of email recipients and send them the May newsletter

ACTION: PW Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

PW agreed to start pushing this and organise the Membership/Drive page. MP, AT, SV, JS agreed to send suggestions to PW about this by a fortnight's time.

ACTION: MP, AT, SV, JS Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

  • So that we can use it for members-only merchandising, AT agreed to send the email to the Foundation previously discussed asking for permission to use their trademarks."

ACTION: AT Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

JS will discuss with Manchester Tourist Board on their support for a possible Manchester Wikimania Bid in 2013.

ACTION: JS Symbol wait.svg Doing...

Note: see later section for actions on 2010 chapters meeting

Matters arising

  • MP to approach membership with regards to the membership list being on the Board wiki.

ACTION: MP Symbol wait.svg Doing...

  • TH to start discussion on the mailing list with regards to director access to paypal account.

ACTION: TH Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

Treasurer’s report

  • Accounts have been updated.
  • Accounts now include the members added at the agm and after
  • Expense cheques, database of members, donators and board members all updated

TH to change paypal address to

ACTION: TH Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

Chair Report

  • MP was contacted this by a member of press concerning: [1]

MP to set previous board members emails to forward to him.

ACTION: MP Symbol wait.svg Doing...

SV, MP + JS to collate press response template list

ACTION: SV, MP + JS Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

Initiatives Report

Zeyi prepared details of the discussions she has had with people at her university to discuss running campaigns to encourage people to edit Wikipedia and these were sent around to the board.

  • Work on timeline of all WMUK activities.

ACTION: ZH Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

Conferences Report

The Conference Director has discussed the chapters meeting with German colleagues; because of the potential costs, he recommended we do not offer to host 2010 chapters meeting. The Board agreed with this.

JS has continued to hold discussions with Manchester Tourism Board on the possible Manchester Wikimania Bid.

Member Presentation

Thomas Dalton was voiced so that he could give a presentation to the Board

TD stressed the importance of having long term legal advice and aid to be provided by a pro bono lawyer.

  • TD agreed to contact the gazette on behalf of WMUK; TH agreed to contact pro bono groups by email

ACTION: TD Go-next-red.svg Carried forward; TH Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

Any other business

Christopher Swift, from Ubuntu Cymru, talked about Software Freedom Day

There are plans for a meeting in Brussels, in July 2009 about EU lobbying.

  • MP to email organiser expressing interest from SV

Action: MP Yes check.svg Done