Wikimedia UK Board meeting Tuesday 26th May 2009, 8:30pm BST at #wikimedia-uk-board
Present: Michael Peel (MP) (Chair); Steve Virgin (SV); Joseph Seddon (JS); Tom Holden (TH) Zeyi He (ZH)
Apologies: Paul Williams (PW), Andrew Turvey (AT)
Minutes of the previous meeting
The minutes of the meeting of the 19th May were approved with minor changes.
The following actions were carried forward:
- JS to send the tokens of our appreciation to the retiring Directors, tellers and external speakers.
- TH to contact the bank to notify them of the new directors, to change the signatories to any two of MP, AT and TH and to set up AT and MP on the online banking.
- PW will talk to SV and ZH to get them set up with an account on IRC and give them operator rights.
- MP has transferred ownership of wikimedia.co.uk to us; MP still to organise transfer of wikimedia.org.uk with current owner.
- AT is to respond to the pressure group whose letter had been received. c/f
ACTION: AT Done
AT will send the opt out email re Phorm once wikimedia.org.uk has been transferred.
- "MP agreed to email a summary on cultural partnerships around the Board members for discussion at the next meeting."
ACTION: MP Done
- "PW will continue to research what is needed to produce business cards for Wikimedia UK officials."
- AT to circulate to the Board, discuss on the mailing list and follow up the correspondence re the Imperial College spin off company asking for our help on the use of wikis in education. (AT)
ACTION: AT Done
- PW to obtain the list of email recipients and send them the May newsletter
PW agreed to start pushing this and organise the Membership/Drive page. MP, AT, SV, JS agreed to send suggestions to PW about this by a fortnight's time.
- So that we can use it for members-only merchandising, AT agreed to send the email to the Foundation previously discussed asking for permission to use their trademarks."
JS will discuss with Manchester Tourist Board on their support for a possible Manchester Wikimania Bid in 2013.
Note: see later section for actions on 2010 chapters meeting
- MP to approach membership with regards to the membership list being on the Board wiki.
- TH to start discussion on the mailing list with regards to director access to paypal account.
- Accounts have been updated.
- Accounts now include the members added at the agm and after
- Expense cheques, database of members, donators and board members all updated
TH to change paypal address to firstname.lastname@example.org
- MP was contacted this by a member of press concerning: 
MP to set previous board members emails to forward to him.
SV, MP + JS to collate press response template list
Zeyi prepared details of the discussions she has had with people at her university to discuss running campaigns to encourage people to edit Wikipedia and these were sent around to the board.
- Work on timeline of all WMUK activities.
The Conference Director has discussed the chapters meeting with German colleagues; because of the potential costs, he recommended we do not offer to host 2010 chapters meeting. The Board agreed with this.
JS has continued to hold discussions with Manchester Tourism Board on the possible Manchester Wikimania Bid.
Thomas Dalton was voiced so that he could give a presentation to the Board
TD stressed the importance of having long term legal advice and aid to be provided by a pro bono lawyer.
- TD agreed to contact the gazette on behalf of WMUK; TH agreed to contact pro bono groups by email
Any other business
Christopher Swift, from Ubuntu Cymru, talked about Software Freedom Day
There are plans for a meeting in Brussels, in July 2009 about EU lobbying.
- MP to email organiser expressing interest from SV
Action: MP Done