Meetings/2009-08-18

From Wikimedia UK
Jump to navigation Jump to search
These minutes were approved at the Board meeting on 1 September 2009.

Wikimedia UK Board meeting Wednesday 18th August 2009, 8:30pm BST at #wikimedia-uk-board

Present: Michael Peel (MP) (Chair); Andrew Turvey (AT) (minutes); Zeyi He (ZH); Joseph Seddon (JS); Paul Williams (PW); Steve Virgin (SV)

Apologies: Tom Holden (TH);

Comment Note: Please mark your actions with one of the following:

* {{done}} if you have completed what was agreed
* {{doing}} if you have started doing what was agreed but haven't finished
* {{cf}} if you have not yet done what was agreed but will do in the future
* {{canc}} if you have not done what was agreed and will not now do it

In addition please mark {{discuss}} if the board needs to discuss the action and add it to the agenda of the next meeting.

Minutes of previous meetings[edit | edit source]

The minutes of the meeting dated 5 August was approved.

The following actions were carried forward:

1. AT to draft an email to the WMF formalising the agreement to use Wikimedia Foundation trademarks in members-only merchandising and to look into where we could produce merchandise. Yes check.svg Done Dialog ballons icon.svg Discuss

2. MP to draft templates for the six press scenarios identified at Media relations#Media response. Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

3. MP to work with SV to do mini press releases, no more than one per month, advertising spikes in traffic per WP:POPULAR related to particular news events. Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

4. JS to get a copy of the WMF's press release contact list in the UK. Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

5. MP agreed to add the HMRC letter appendices as attachments to section C of the Charity Commission application Yes check.svg Done

6. JS agreed to look into CRB checks for directors and Schools Project volunteers - their transferability, who to approach for them and how much they will cost. Yes check.svg Done

7. PW will develop a proposal for buying a computer for the Schools Project with, potentially, peripherals such as a projector, screen, printer etc. X mark.svg Cancelled Dialog ballons icon.svg Discuss

8. JS to draft an email for the Open Knowledge Foundation mailing list, to recruit new members. Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

9. AT to arrange printing of the business cards Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

10. AT will reply to the charity sponsorship request as proposed. Yes check.svg Done

11. MP to investigate moving our wiki at http://uk.wikimedia.org to http://www.wikimedia.org.uk subject to technical feasibility re Single User Logins and hosting, with gb.wikimedia.org as a potential alternative. Bug Report. Once this has been completed, MP to follow up with Wikimedia Ukraine regarding the "uk." website conflict. Symbol wait.svg Doing...

12. AT to investigate NCVO and other charity support groups for guidance on setting up procedures Yes check.svg Done

13. AT agreed to investigate getting paid legal advice on charitable status, using the Foundation's offer to fund. Symbol wait.svg Doing...

14. JS to start drafting child protection policies. Yes check.svg Done

15. PW, MP to deliver newsletter. Yes check.svg Done

Matters arising[edit | edit source]

MP has established his relationship with the Communcations Committee is "either be as mailing list subscriber, or representative of Wikimedia UK". Therefore, for the purposes of the conflicts of interest policy, it was agreed he would not be treated as a Foundation committee member.

Reports[edit | edit source]

Secretary[edit | edit source]

The Secretary's Report was noted.

Treasurer[edit | edit source]

There was no Treasurer's Report. However, TH had sent a previous email regarding a membership application that had been received.

The board went in camera for a discussion

Member number 29 confirmed by a majority decision subject to cheque clearing. TH will respond to the member and update the Register of Members.

ACTION: TH Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

Chair[edit | edit source]

The Chair's Report was noted. MP also mentioned that he had received an offer of a free ticket to the "C&binet" conference on 26-28 October - a "not-for-profit network, created by the UK Government’s Department for Culture, Media and Sport to link the international creative and commercial communities to grow the global creative economy" SV and AT had both volunteered to attend. It was agreed that AT would attend and MP would ask for a second ticket for SV if possible.

ACTION: MP Yes check.svg Done

The board discussed having an in-person board meeting around the "Pictures in Public" symposium on 10-11 September in Oxford which MP and TH will be attending. The London Wikimeet is also that weekend on the Sunday morning, so we could link it with that. JS, SV, ZH and PW could not confirm if they could attend. MP agreed to email round suggested dates and locations to see what people could make.

ACTION: MP Yes check.svg Done Dialog ballons icon.svg Discuss

Initiatives[edit | edit source]

No report was available. It was agreed to discuss with the initiatives discussion later in the meeting.

Conferences[edit | edit source]

JS gave a report via IRC; he hadn't found anywhere where he could get free CRB checks. It was estimated they will cost around £500 (£38 for ~13 people) and it was agreed we should ask the Foundation to reallocate some of the existing schools budget to cover this. At the same time the budget for a computer would be extended to cover other ancillary hardware.

JS has also prepared a blog post on the joint 2010 WMUK/OKCON Conference.

JS has had some discussions on a future Wikimania in Manchester and has been told that continent rotation "is considered the most minor criterion", opening the door to a Wikimania 2011 bid.

Corporate relations[edit | edit source]

SV gave a report via IRC. He has been approached by a school in Wrexham which is interested in working with us. SV will forward to PW who will follow up as part of the Schools Project.

ACTION: SV Yes check.svg Done

Steve Bowbrick has met with some senior BBC managers to discuss collaboration; SV will chase him to get an update on how it went. Progress on this has been slow, and we are unsure of timetables or outcomes at the moment.

ACTION: SV Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

Volunteers[edit | edit source]

PW had nothing to report on this.

Charity Commission application[edit | edit source]

AT gave an update and a summary of the current situation: there are three things that need finalising - the conflicts of interest policy, section D of the Charity Commission application and the child protection policy. The last item is waiting for the example policies that AT has ordered from NCVO. Given that the application can't be sent off until this is complete, it was agreed to hold off on discussions until the next meeting. AT will chase the NCVO for an eta.

ACTION: AT Yes check.svg Done

In the meantime, AT is continuing to look for paid legal advice to assist with the application.

Initiatives[edit | edit source]

The Board discussed the milestone listed on the initiatives timeline to "establish a plan for each initiative including timetable, aim and outline costing" by the end of August. It was agreed that this would still be done, except for the Workplace Learning Lunches where it might not be possible to complete before mid September.

Workplace Learning Lunches[edit | edit source]

As noted above, SV will follow up with SB regarding progress with the BBC. The milestone above may be delayed until mid September.

JS agreed to follow up with his contacts at the BBC Digital Revolution and click and get them in touch with SB and SV.

ACTION: JS Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

Schools project[edit | edit source]

PW hopes to start talking to schools at the start of September when they return from holidays, with most progress made after the half term 23rd October and the first visits possibly in the second half term. JS may be able to arrange a visit to his college earlier. PW will start discussion on the schools email list after the meeting regarding the project plan and arrange to get a timetable and budget approved by the end of August

ACTION: PW Yes check.svg Done

Britain Loves Wikipedia[edit | edit source]

There was a discussion on whether the initiative should restrict to just London or cover the whole of Britain. AT mentioned that Wikipedia Loves Art project had 15 museums, but over half the images were generated from the 6 clustered in New York. The Dutch Wiki Loves Art had 46 museums around the country, but generated fewer images than Wikipedia Loves Art. MP suggested we have clusters of museums in several locations. MP will start a discussion on the mailing list and defer a decision depending on the response from museums. MP will also pencil in a timetable and budget by the end of August.

ACTION: MP Yes check.svg Done

AOB[edit | edit source]

MP mentioned that the blog is now up and running. A Twitter account has also been set up - it was agreed any board member is encouraged to make appropriate twitter posts without need for prior approval. AT, JS agreed to email round draft blog posts for approval.

ACTION: AT Yes check.svg Done, JS Go-next-red.svg Carried forward

MP and SV agreed to work on a press release for the 5 million media files on Commons milestone.

ACTION: MP, SV Yes check.svg Done Dialog ballons icon.svg Discuss

MP and JS may be meeting with the V&A in London on Friday to discuss Britain Loves Wikipedia and GLAM-WIKI-UK respectively. It was agreed JS could claim travel out of the content access funds. X mark.svg Not done

Next meeting[edit | edit source]

The next meeting was agreed for Tuesday 1st September, 8:30pm.